Is Rock Hard 4x4 rear tire carrier / bumper still the overall recommendation?

@Jerry Bransford I ordered the morryde with all the reinforcements, but I need to reuse the spare tire bracket, there are some for sale locally (OEM) but was wondering if it is strong enough to carry my spare. can you recommend an aftermarket up to the task? i dont have to rely on having a brace underneath the tire

So, the Morryde kit doesn't include a means to bolt up the spare? @ $450 I'd expect the whole shaboom.

Reactions: connor grimes
can I use the factory spare tire bracket for a 35" tire? is it strong enough or do people recommend getting beefier ones? also will the stock bracket fit a 35" tire with 3.75" backspacing?

The factory spare tire carrier is strong enough for a 35" tire as long as you mitigate the bouncing and vibration. Mine uses the factory mount on an ExoGate with proper length tire snubbers and a small support shelf under the tire.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
@Jerry Bransford I ordered the morryde with all the reinforcements, but I need to reuse the spare tire bracket, there are some for sale locally (OEM) but was wondering if it is strong enough to carry my spare. can you recommend an aftermarket up to the task? i dont have to rely on having a brace underneath the tire

Use the factory mount and do what it takes to stop the tire from bouncing.

That’s what I’m sayin

However much more it would cost to include a pointless tire mount, I would much rather that money was put into an improved two point latch to further reduce tail gate movement while closed.

Hey everyone,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rear tire carrier /bumper to replace my redrock one. Reasons for replacing are it rattles all the time, I don't trust the welds, pivot from breaking, and I want to tow a small trailer and I also don't trust the integrated hitch receiver. I've seen over the years that people love the Rock Hard 4X4 tire carrier as it seems to not rattle, be very strong, and has a proper hitch for towing (within reason). It also costs $1700+ to get delivered ($300 freight shipping). Are there any other brands out there people recommend? I'll be carrying a 35" spare and towing a 1000lb trailer. What are y'all running these days? thanks

I am late to this thread. I use a Rockhard 4X4 rear bumper and swing-away tire carrier with jerry can mounts. The welds are good, as is the finish. It does not rattle or squeak. The swingaway latch is easy to use. I use a "skinny" 255/85R16 spare rather than a full size 315/75R16 to keep the spare tucked a bit tighter to the tailgate and save a few pounds.

I am in general not a fan of tailgate mounted spares because hanging that much weight on side opening tailgate hinges can create more problems than solutions. I have no issue with a swingaway carrier that doesn't rattle or squeak and can handle the weight of the spare and jerry cans without sagging when the swingaway is open. In that aspect the Rockhard product is better than competitors' with swingaway design.

My opinion of the Rockhard 4X4 rear bumper system is positive. I have no complaints. Whether or not it is the "best" alternative is purely subjective. Internet debates over whether a product is "the best" typically quickly degenerate into meaningless pissing contests that I am not interested in entering.

My opinion is that the purchase of the Rockhard 4X4 bumper and tire carrier would not be a mistake. Whether it is best for your purposes is something only you can decide.

Rear of Jeep.jpg

I appreciate this thread. We're running a Garvin bumper and swingaway and I'll say, having recently weighed the TJ (4900+ lbs!) I'm thinking that one possibly way to shave some weight is to consider heading back to a tailgate mounted spare like y'all have suggested here.

That would mean we'd have a Garvin rack/bumper for sale (recouping cost is a good thing) but I think the biggest thing I'd miss is the ability to carry fuel/water/cargo on the rack, since we'll commonly have 3-4 passengers. I'll have to troubleshoot where I think we can add that back in in other spots on the jeep. (metalcloak rear fenders DO have quite a bit of flat real estate for mounting things. :D )

I am late to this thread. I use a Rockhard 4X4 rear bumper and swing-away tire carrier with jerry can mounts. The welds are good, as is the finish. It does not rattle or squeak. The swingaway latch is easy to use. I use a "skinny" 255/85R16 spare rather than a full size 315/75R16 to keep the spare tucked a bit tighter to the tailgate and save a few pounds.

I am in general not a fan of tailgate mounted spares because hanging that much weight on side opening tailgate hinges can create more problems than solutions. I have no issue with a swingaway carrier that doesn't rattle or squeak and can handle the weight of the spare and jerry cans without sagging when the swingaway is open. In that aspect the Rockhard product is better than competitors' with swingaway design.

My opinion of the Rockhard 4X4 rear bumper system is positive. I have no complaints. Whether or not it is the "best" alternative is purely subjective. Internet debates over whether a product is "the best" typically quickly degenerate into meaningless pissing contests that I am not interested in entering.

My opinion is that the purchase of the Rockhard 4X4 bumper and tire carrier would not be a mistake. Whether it is best for your purposes is something only you can decide.

View attachment 500915

Would you kindly tell me more about the tire mounted storage / trash bag?
Who makes it?

Well, I have a Moryde kit and a used OEM tire carrier on the way. Be here Monday-ish. I'm excited for the project's possibility of slimming her down and simplying back seat access.

One consideration - I have no problem whittling down what I currently carry on my Garvin rack as far as cargo, but the previous owner mounted a backup camera and an aux cooler/fan for the transmission on the Garvin rack, so I'm going to have to fab up a replacement, minimalist "shelf" above the spare tire for the camera and the cooler/fan (unless we decide to delete the cooler, which is unlikely since it works well).

Seen in the picture to the left of the Rotopax.

IMG_7029.JPG

I have a genright swingdown carrier if anybody is intersted I'll give a great deal on it. Mainy want it out of my yard...

Well, I have a Moryde kit and a used OEM tire carrier on the way. Be here Monday-ish. I'm excited for the project's possibility of slimming her down and simplying back seat access.

One consideration - I have no problem whittling down what I currently carry on my Garvin rack as far as cargo, but the previous owner mounted a backup camera and an aux cooler/fan for the transmission on the Garvin rack, so I'm going to have to fab up a replacement, minimalist "shelf" above the spare tire for the camera and the cooler/fan (unless we decide to delete the cooler, which is unlikely since it works well).

Seen in the picture to the left of the Rotopax.

View attachment 509373

Put the aux fan under the jeep like everyone else 🤷‍♂️

It's common enough. Derale recommends it there on their TJ cooling kit, and is where mine is located and where I installed it on my previous TJ too. Here's my install writeup. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-transmission-cooler-on-your-wrangler-tj.590/

Thanks, Jerry and David.

Did some reading and I now have some time this coming Thursday booked for my local jeep shop to relocate my existing setup using a Derale or custom mount to a similar location.

Our thought is that we should have more than enough slack to reuse the existing hoses since they're like 15ft long (to facilitate getting all the way back to the spare tire carrier)...lol.

I think my wife and I are stoked to tidy up the rear area a bit and make it look a bit more stock while retaining the ability to carry our plus-sized spare and maybe a small Rotopax fuel/water container and our trasheroo.

Reactions: TheBoogieman