Is the Warn XD9000i a good winch?

Looks pretty clean other than the motor. When you dig into it let me know and I will help with a grocery list.
I’ve read your exploits with winches. You’re the master. I appreciate the help.

Reactions: Blackjack
I’ve read your exploits with winches. You’re the master. I appreciate the help.
It is no problem. There is a few things you can do to help out that particular motor to deal with corrosion I can show you.

Reactions: JMT
Welcome to the club!
IMG_1707.JPG

It is no problem. There is a few things you can do to help out that particular motor to deal with corrosion I can show you.
This is my first issue. I can’t get the nut off because the bolt is spinning. It never was tightened down to begin with. Maybe why it can’t get a good connection. 🤣 There’s a plastic retainer inside that keeps the 6-sided bolt head from twisting. That must be broke. Do I remove the four screws on the housing to get in there?

0305DA2B-080C-4EDC-A06B-D11AE2ACEB7C.jpeg

EDIT: pulled the motor and now I see the other side of that bolt is all messed up.

30B32B29-4C4A-41EE-B517-3DF8EA22114E.jpeg

91206E3B-04B0-41EB-9063-460FA1890E3D.jpeg

69B8848B-AF3D-48EF-A770-75E6E6C70EA9.jpeg

166DC3A6-CBDB-47DE-A156-5C2C96D8246A.jpeg

Looks like a wire was soldered to the bolt head. Bolt threads are all stripped, so has to be replaced and not sure how to solder the wire on the head of the new bolt since it’s down in there about 4.5”.

7C80C86C-CB99-4155-BD98-7BEE8D18EFAD.jpeg

4238BB4B-AFFE-4552-94E0-1BA8067348EF.jpeg

Want to remove and stop the corrosion on this motor too. I’m not sure what the material is, so I’m not sure what to use to remove it without damaging anything.

image.jpg

Is there a way to separate the black and silver parts and get them back together without issue?

image.jpg

The PO did you little favor with that motor as there was supposed to be a flange nut next to the armature post insulator like the field posts have. Easiest way to fix your bolt problem is to replace the brush plate. Let me dig around and see if I have a good used one.

The end cap should tap off it is just stuck because of corrosion and that gap is from a missing piece of plastic which is part of you corrosion problem. For the surface corrosion just use a wire brush and some electrical contact cleaner. Check the bearing on the armature and make sure it rolls smooth. From there you will want to take some Emory tape and clean up the commutator.

The PO did you little favor with that motor as there was supposed to be a flange nut next to the armature post insulator like the field posts have. Easiest way to fix your bolt problem is to replace the brush plate. Let me dig around and see if I have a good used one.

The end cap should tap off it is just stuck because of corrosion and that gap is from a missing piece of plastic which is part of you corrosion problem. For the surface corrosion just use a wire brush and some electrical contact cleaner. Check the bearing on the armature and make sure it rolls smooth. From there you will want to take some Emory tape and clean up the commutator.
I'm looking up brush plate so I know exactly what you are talking about. I can't find anything, but that's ok. I'll just wait and see what you come up with and we can go from there. I did notice the missing flange nut and intended to replace it and the bolt.

I think I know what gap you're talking about on the silver portion. I need to fill that with something to keep moisture from getting inside. I did clean up some of the surface corrosion inside already, so that is going well. The bearing is smooth. I was happy about that. I'll get some Emery tape and start cleaning up the commutator. Thanks for the vocab lesson. Google is my friend there!

What grit Emery Tape should I use to clean Commutator?
Any special grease I should use as I go through components, clean and re-grease?

Last edited:
I'm looking up brush plate so I know exactly what you are talking about. I can't find anything, but that's ok. I'll just wait and see what you come up with and we can go from there. I did notice the missing flange nut and intended to replace it and the bolt.

I think I know what gap you're talking about on the silver portion. I need to fill that with something to keep moisture from getting inside. I did clean up some of the surface corrosion inside already, so that is going well. The bearing is smooth. I was happy about that. I'll get some Emery tape and start cleaning up the commutator. Thanks for the vocab lesson. Google is my friend there!

What grit Emery Tape should I use to clean Commutator?
Any special grease I should use as I go through components, clean and re-grease?
The brush plate is what houses the four brushes and has the yellowish plastic on the face. The brush plate is in the silver colored motor end housing.

Brush plate. Take a pick of yours when you get the cap off so I can compare.

image.jpg

• Love
Post up pics of the brush plate and end cap I am sure I can come up with some stuff for you.

Post up pics of the brush plate and end cap I am sure I can come up with some stuff for you.
Ok, I'll go remove the cap with a rubber mallet and take some pics here in a bit. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Blackjack
Mine was way more rusty on the outside, but your motor is worse inside. It should clean up though. I took all the copper bars out by the solenoids and polished them and all the connectors and bolts.

I bet it would work if you cleaned the motor and put it back together.

Brush plate. Take a pick of yours when you get the cap off so I can compare.

View attachment 323198
Here’s my brush plate.
283CD48F-06C6-4E11-86D4-F6CBE43CB153.jpeg

Here’s the housing. I have the two long bolts that go on the outside holes, but missing the one that goes in the center. It’s a threaded hole so I can fix that easy.
839F5BDB-EE84-47E4-B052-168775588BBC.jpeg

This hard plastic washer was melted on one side and cracked. I hope I can get a replacement.
99C187CB-AF19-4303-8982-098EB562CAC1.jpeg

Mine was way more rusty on the outside, but your motor is worse inside. It should clean up though. I took all the copper bars out by the solenoids and polished them and all the connectors and bolts.

I bet it would work if you cleaned the motor and put it back together.
I think once I get the motor all cleaned up and fix that one bad connection it will work. I’m hoping!