It just happened!

So, you’re rebuilding the blue one you sold a couple years ago?

No. This one...

20211003_153905.jpg

20211003_154028.jpg

With a 241, if you have a 42RLE and a RubiCrawler, you get 4 speeds. 1:1, 2.72:1, 4:1, and 10.88:1. The latter isn't useful, but the ability to switch between 2.72:1 and 4:1 is incredibly useful. The 231 doesn't give you this option.

Makes sense. If I understand it correctly (might not), a 4 speed Atlas would be the only option for a similar gear set up with my AX-15.

I run the second option - the 5.44 low. I love it, but never use the 2.72. Always run either 2.0 or 5.44 offroad. Very easy to swap between the two using the single planetary shifter.

I’m assuming the 4 speed is longer than a 2 speed atlas?

I’m assuming the 4 speed is longer than a 2 speed atlas?

Yes it is

http://www.billavista.com/tech/Articles/Atlas_4-Speed_Transfer_Case/index.html

How long is the Atlas 4 speed?

The Atlas 4SP Transfer Case

The total length of an Atlas 4SP is only 17 inches, significantly shorter than the stock NP231, only slightly longer than the NP241 Rock Trac found in Jeep Rubicons, and definitely shorter than any of the other current options to add an aftermarket planetary gear reduction in front of a transfer case

Last edited:
Of those, the first two look like the only real options.

I would disagree somewhat. The other options are good also I think for those who have a manual transmission. The 10:1 or 11:1 compounded crawl ratios IMO are usable if you have a manual.

My 5.44 low is OK but I can think of times even when with my auto I wished I'd had a little lower crawl ratio.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Rickyd
Here we go again! 🙂

C'mon, you have to admit, we all enjoy the adventure! It's like a classic movie. It doesn't matter how many times you've seen it, and you can recite every line word-for-word, and you know exactly how it ends - you still enjoy watching it!