It just happened!

14 joints and they usually run about $60 a piece. That's $840 in just joints. Can you find them cheaper than $60ish a joint?
I have a box of joints that a buddy gave me, so I was factoring that in. However, after opening up the box for the first time I was surprised to find MC joints, so your numbers would be correct. :(

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
I have a box of joints that a buddy gave me, so I was factoring that in. However, after opening up the box for the first time I was surprised to find MC joints, so your numbers would be correct. :(
Bummer! I kind of the did the same this weekend. I have 2 jj's from a radius arm project on a buddy's ranger. But the shanks are too big.

Reactions: Irun
The uppers mainly just help locate the axle. They do need to be strong but they aren't normally coming in contact with the trail, rocks, logs, etc. They need to resist impacts and bending more than the uppers typically.

Savvy just lists 7075 for the mid arm lowers on the website. It doesn't give a material reference for the uppers on the mid arm so they could all be 7075 maybe.

https://savvyoffroad.com/product/sma-kit/
Mid arm is triangulated (no track bar) so it has to do two jobs... Locate the axle fore and aft as well as side to side. That's why I would guess they are made of heavier duty material and bigger. I know the uppers use 2" joints vs the 1.5" joints in the short arm setup.

So here's a question: You have Savvy arms on your TJ, right? Do they improve road driving performance? I ordered mine because I want the double adjustable feature, lighter weight and I want a matching set as opposed the mixture of old stock and various lower budget arms I have now. I wasn't really expecting they would be create a super noticeable change in feel on road.
One thing I noticed was the Savvy arms, really the JJ, improved the Jeeps cornering ability. Since my LJ feels "loose" in a turn, due to the seperated bushing in the stock arms, I'm planning to validate this when I get the Savvy arms.

Well, @RINC was correct. All I needed to do was wait for KOH to be over. Today I received a notification that my entire Savvy order was shipped. It will be here Monday, 2/28. 🥳
Gutted, hoped it would take another year, just so I could see how you built your own 😉

Savvy tricked me. The email I received said my order was complete. However, the only thing that was shipped, and delivered last Sunday, was the control arms. The rest is still on back order. On the plus side, the arms are really what I needed. I did find a couple old stock arms I had, which were used to replace the two that had split bushings. That bought me some time to come up with a game plan for swapping parts from the TJ.

Well crap. Looks like I'll be replacing the cooling system sooner than planned. :cautious:

20220305_111023.jpg

Better to happen in the garage than happen while on your way to Moab.
True! I was hoping it would hold out a little longer, because replacing the cooling system means I have to do it all at the same time. Valve cover gasket, roller rockers, timing chain, oil pan gasket, oil pump, pulleys, tensioner, and all the coolant parts. I have everything, including Mopar radiator and water pump, but wasn't ready to dig into it just yet. :cautious:

True! I was hoping it would hold out a little longer, because replacing the cooling system means I have to do it all at the same time. Valve cover gasket, roller rockers, timing chain, oil pan gasket, oil pump, pulleys, tensioner, and all the coolant parts. I have everything, including Mopar radiator and water pump, but wasn't ready to dig into it just yet. :cautious:
I would be interested in what roller rockers you plan on using and why. I have a cooling system refresh in my future, but my list does not look like that! At least yet lol!

I would be interested in what roller rockers you plan on using and why. I have a cooling system refresh in my future, but my list does not look like that! At least yet lol!
The set I have is Yella Tera, which I bought from another forum member for a very good price. To be 100% clear, this isn't about power. The only reason I'm installing them is to reduce friction. This means less heat, less wear, and hopefully a happier engine. Is it worth it? Maybe, maybe not!

I'm more curious in the timing chain set. What are you using there? Have you noticed they get real loose?

I'm more curious in the timing chain set. What are you using there? Have you noticed they get real loose?
The FSM says up to 1/2" deflection is acceptable. The last couple I've done were well beyond that. However, both of those engines had 180K+. This engine is just a little over 100K, so we'll have to see what it looks like when I get in there. As for the timing set, I've always used Cloyes. Traditionally, these were made in USA. Unfortunately, this set had a mix of US and China made parts. :(

You are a prepared Jeeper. That radiator is not my favorite feature. The whole process is fairly painless other than the fan clutch. You can skip that part, just saying.
I've learned over time to not fight with the fan clutch. The absolute best way I've found to remove it, since I'm replacing it all, is one or two short bursts with this on the nut. No busted knuckles and it comes off easily!

92037_I.jpg

If only you had another well sorted Jeep you could use and just dump this money pit 🤔😂
Still hoping for a change of heart here 😉
They are money pits for sure. As for selling, I'm committed there. However, I'm in no hurry there! :)

Reactions: Lax22 and Wildman