It just happened!

Other BF stuff...

20231126_172752.jpg

While there are a couple cons, primarily they don't provide any more clearance and they expose more wheel well than I'd prefer, I pulled the trigger on ordering a set GenRight 4" front fenders, including the inner, and rear 4" flares. While it wasn't on my radar to do so this year, I don't want to live under the false assumption that good aluminum products will continue to be available for our platform.

Before ordering I gave lots and lots of thought to where the Jeep will be in a year or two. Ultimately, coming to the conclusion that this is the setup and look I've wanted, so just get it now. Truth be told, I did consider the high-lines. However, since 35s are my limit, the standard fenders/flares will be a good fit. This does mean I'll have to sort out what to do about the stock air box, but that's not a major issue.

Famous last words here, but I don't see myself ever taking on another major build, so I'm in no hurry to get things done. Perhaps the new thread title should be "Slow and Steady". I'll have to think on this one!

https://genright.com/shop-by-vehicle/jeep-tj-97-06/tj-lj-4-flare-front-rear-fender-package-aluminum/

I finally had a chance to catch up on the build and things are going well. My interim plan was to run 35s and build to a 10" travel shock (12" is the desired end state, but that will come later). I'm close to my target and here's what the numbers look like so far:

Springs: Rock Jock
- Front - CE 9133F (3") with a StreetRays 1" aluminum spacer
- Rear - CE 9131RH1P (3")

Shocks: BlackMax
- Front - B8556CS Black Max 9.78 Travel - 5.5" Up and 4.28 Down - This is mated with 2" bump stop, which limits up travel to 5"
- Rear - B8518CS Black Max 9" Travel - Travel is split even at 4.5" up and down - This is possible due to a Teraflex (#1244800) Bar Pin Eliminator adapter. The rear is bump stopped at 1.5".

Overall, I have 6" up travel before the tires are into the fender flares. I've cycled the suspension and although the front tires get into the Swayloc slightly, this won't be a problem once I move the front wheels out a little more.

Wheels: Mopar
- 17X8 12mm offset (4.4" backspace) - with the 1.25" adapter this yields a 5.65" BS (As a note, I'll need to bump up the adapter 2" if I don't decide to run a lockout hub kit

Tires: BF Goodrich
- KO2 315/70R17 Load Range "C"

Lots more to do, but I'm happy with where things are so far!

20231203_162343.jpg

20231203_163230.jpg

20231203_150959.jpg

Last edited:
This does mean I'll have to sort out what to do about the stock air box, but that's not a major issue.

I'm not following what you'll have to work out with the stock air box. What am I missing?

Coming together nicely.

Now I have butt crack! ;)

Nothing an angle grinder and a welder can't fix in a few hours. 😁

Reactions: RINC and Irun
I'm not following what you'll have to work out with the stock air box. What am I missing?

Coming together nicely.

Nothing an angle grinder and a welder can't fix in a few hours. 😁

My understanding is the GenRight inner fenders don't work with the stock airbox.

At some point the butt crack will be fixed! (y)

My understanding is the GenRight inner fenders don't work with the stock airbox.

Correct - It won't fit.

I did this to get the Jeep driving and to pass inspection.

PXL_20230719_234524453.jpg

But you can see there isn't room for the OEM air box.

I went with the popular Ford Windstar upgrade. Here is my latest (still some brackets to be added for stability):

PXL_20231112_194058408.jpg

Many have done this Windstar mod. You can see more of my pics in my build. It's a better option than cold air, if you drive in water/mud. Otherwise a CAI is a good/easier option.

I've logged what I did for my GenRight inner fenders & where I put parts in my build. I found a lot of others who posted helpful info to see and consider — Not trying to plug my build thread - just sharing that it's there bc I took so much from so many others before me so trying to pay it forward. ;)

Correct - It won't fit.

I did this to get the Jeep driving and to pass inspection.

View attachment 479244

But you can see there isn't room for the OEM air box.

I went with the popular Ford Windstar upgrade. Here is my latest (still some brackets to be added for stability):

View attachment 479245

Many have done this Windstar mod. You can see more of my pics in my build. It's a better option than cold air, if you drive in water/mud. Otherwise a CAI is a good/easier option.

I've logged what I did for my GenRight inner fenders & where I put parts in my build. I found a lot of others who posted helpful info to see and consider — Not trying to plug my build thread - just sharing that it's there bc I took so much from so many others before me so trying to pay it forward. ;)

Correction: There is a post here on the forum that you can fit an OEM box but you'll cut about 60% of it apart at the bottom of the box - So just go CAI at that point (from my perspective....).

Correction: There is a post here on the forum that you can fit an OEM box but you'll cut about 60% of it apart at the bottom of the box - So just go CAI at that point (from my perspective....).

I've done the Windstar modification in the past. I'm considering that, along with the Buick air box.

I finally had a chance to catch up on the build and things are going well. My interim plan was to run 35s and build to a 10" travel shock (12" is the desired end state, but that will come later). I'm close to my target and here's what the numbers look like so far:

Springs: Rock Jock
- Front - CE 9133F (3") with a StreetRays 1" aluminum spacer
- Rear - CE 9131RH1P (3")

Shocks: BlackMax
- Front - B8556CS Black Max 9.78 Travel - 5.5" Up and 4.28 Down - This is mated with 2" bump stop, which limits up travel to 5"
- Rear - B8518CS Black Max 9" Travel - Travel is split even at 4.5" up and down - This is possible due to a Teraflex (#1244800) Bar Pin Eliminator adapter. The rear is bump stopped at 1.5".
I am running the same springs part numbers front and rear on my LJR.
Used 2” streetRays spring spacers in the front along with front JK B8575 shocks and a 2” bumpstops. It worked better for me than the longer TJ b8549 or the shorter TJ b8525
Installed B8528 rear shocks with 2” bumpstops.

Reactions: Irun

At some point the butt crack will be fixed! (y)

Ah, I missed the inners. I was able to re-use the stock inners and keep the stock air box.

That’s what I say about my butt crack too. Eventually, eventually…

• Haha
Reactions: Irun