I've Never Figured Out When Enough Is Enough

Last night I was trying to think of other upgrades that I have forgotten to post... and I'm sure there are plenty. Last winter was pretty much consumed with this refresh to the jeep. BUT I don't remember anymore before it gets to this years work! lol So I'm going to move on, and if I remember more, I will update them into this thread.

After last years build, I knew exactly what my next steps were. And, I also knew my next big obstacle: Money. The next step was going to be costly. I really felt after last year, that I only got the jeep back into good working condition. What I really wanted, was to see progress. I got some satisfaction with the new suspension, bumper, and sound system, but overall, the jeep still look very similar in appearance. I was ready for a new look.

So, I set my goals for this winter:
1) Deal with the remaining body rust.
2) Finish the armor the rest of the way around. (basically finish what I started 10 years ago)
3) New bumper and tire carrier solution.
4) Misc. other exterior touchups: LED Taillights, License plate relocation, Rear cam mount, Highlift Jack mount, CB Antenna mount, Front LED headlights, Front turn signal LED conversion. ARB Dif cover for rear Ford 8.8, Red Shackles front/rear, Fluid change for everything...

And if I have time....

5) Repaint my DIY Beadlocks with POR15+Topcoat

Basically, this years goal: Finish the outside!! Finally!!

Then of course, I start my build story on this forum, you guys start to weigh in...

And now I have a few more things that I am considering adding to the list: Rock Cameras w/3-way switch, Upgraded shock, air intake relocation...

Aside from ordering the majority of the parts, I decided to start with the headlights (lets be honest, they just showed up at my door first):

When I started my headlight search, I really had no idea what to get. It hadn't yet occurred to me to check this forum, So I just started searching and set my search bar to filter the results High to Low. Probably sounds silly to do that, but I am the sort of guy who does not like to bling out his ride with lights in every direction and hanging from every post/corner of the jeep. So I really needed my headlights to be high quality. I really only see me maybe someday adding a couple of fog lamps and possibly something to supplement my reverse lights someday.

For headlights, I ended up going with the KC HiLiTES 42361 Gravity LED 7" Headlights:
I got them from quadratec, but you can find them all over the place online.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/97025_0041.htm

Some of these pictures I have already uploaded for different reasons, but this time I'm highlighting the evolution of the headlights:

Work Photos 012[46146].jpg

Head Lights.jpg

New bumper and lights.jpg

OK!!!! First, let me try to explain the body shop trip.

My jeep had rust rot in all of the typical spaces with the exception of the frame. My frame only had one soft spot that we were able to repair without wrapping the frame or replacing any sections. So I needed that repaired. Of course, once I knew it was going to a body shop.... I came up with a list. 😇

Here is the original list:

Repair frame
Repair/replace the tub side of the body mounts
I had actual holes in the rear of the tub down low on either side of the tailgate that needed to be cut back and repaired with new metal
Adjust driver door that wasn't closing right
Spray POR15 inside of frame rails
Clean up surface rust in rear wheel wells, and paint them black

Once he had the jeep in his shop, we added the following things to his list:

Clean up surface rust in driver/passenger floor pans and coat with POR15
and... a little treat to myself... mount my new MC rocker slides, corner guards, tail lights, tramp stamp, and rear bumper! (he offered... how could I say no???)

When I got the jeep back today, He said, "you know, by the time we got done bolting on those panels, we all really liked that jeep! That thing is bullet proof!" :LOL:

First, Let me show you his work on the body mounts. Its a little hard to see because it has all been painted (don't mind the water spots... I had to wash it after knowing it had been driven on Iowa roads in the dead of winter):

IMG_7955.JPG

IMG_7956.JPG

IMG_7957.JPG

IMG_7960.JPG

IMG_7961.JPG

IMG_7962.JPG

Didn't realize how blurry they were until i went to upload them!! Grr... They aren't the most glamorous pictures to take, so I was in a hurry.

More to come!

Reactions: Wildman
I didn't waste any time today starting on my next project. Some of you may have noticed a little mistake made at the body shop:

IMG_7949.JPG

The license plate bracket was NOT suppose to go back on. IDK where the miscommunication happened, but it happened. Its not a huge deal, but it did result in four holes that would not have otherwise been there. bummer, but oh well. I took care of that right away.

IMG_7967.JPG

Because I can hardly walk out of the garage with only that accomplished, I decided to go ahead and start installing the tire carrier. I had to run and grab a step up drill bit and a center punch (No idea why it took me so long to buy one), but then I didn't waste any time:

IMG_7969.JPG

I removed the mounting bolt that was in my way, set the bracket up where it belongs, marked the holes, center punched them, and drilled them out to 3/8":

IMG_7969.JPG

Went great. The passenger side, I wasn't so lucky. Would you believe that one of my brand new alan head bolts got stripped already trying to get it out. IDK if it just got twisted in there or what, but how annoying. Anyway, one benefit of working on Iowa jeeps, is they give you plenty of experience removing stuck hardware! I just drilled it out. It was about a 10 minute inconvenience.

IMG_7970.JPG

IMG_7972.JPG

IMG_7971.JPG

IMG_7973.JPG

I drilled out my bolt holes for the Passenger side bracket and ran into another slight problem. The corner guard bolt hole didn't quite line up right.

IMG_7974.JPG

I just bolted up a couple of the other bolts tight and redrilled using the bracket as a guide for my drill. Worked out just fine.

IMG_7975.JPG

Next up, I wanted to paint the holes. I'm paranoid about rust now, so why take any chances right?

IMG_7976.JPG

IMG_7978.JPG

IMG_7977.JPG

IMG_7979.JPG

It will all be covered up with a bracket, so I didn't need to get carried away with the tape. I used a q-tip to apply some POR15.

After that, It was inside for supper while I let the paint dry. I may have it all mounted by tomorrow. We shall see!

Reactions: DrDmoney

Aside from ordering the majority of the parts, I decided to start with the headlights (lets be honest, they just showed up at my door first):

When I started my headlight search, I really had no idea what to get. It hadn't yet occurred to me to check this forum, So I just started searching and set my search bar to filter the results High to Low. Probably sounds silly to do that, but I am the sort of guy who does not like to bling out his ride with lights in every direction and hanging from every post/corner of the jeep. So I really needed my headlights to be high quality. I really only see me maybe someday adding a couple of fog lamps and possibly something to supplement my reverse lights someday.

For headlights, I ended up going with the KC HiLiTES 42361 Gravity LED 7" Headlights:
I got them from quadratec, but you can find them all over the place online.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/97025_0041.htm

Some of these pictures I have already uploaded for different reasons, but this time I'm highlighting the evolution of the headlights:

View attachment 398265

View attachment 398266

View attachment 398267

I’m kinda curious about the KC’s, I have JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2’s and I’m extremely happy with them for 10 years now, but if one ever goes out I’m not looking forward to the replacement cost, they are more than double the original cost.

Reactions: Apparition
I didn't waste any time today starting on my next project. Some of you may have noticed a little mistake made at the body shop:

View attachment 398455

The license plate bracket was NOT suppose to go back on. IDK where the miscommunication happened, but it happened. Its not a huge deal, but it did result in four holes that would not have otherwise been there. bummer, but oh well. I took care of that right away.

View attachment 398456

Because I can hardly walk out of the garage with only that accomplished, I decided to go ahead and start installing the tire carrier. I had to run and grab a step up drill bit and a center punch (No idea why it took me so long to buy one), but then I didn't waste any time:

View attachment 398457

I removed the mounting bolt that was in my way, set the bracket up where it belongs, marked the holes, center punched them, and drilled them out to 3/8":

View attachment 398458

Went great. The passenger side, I wasn't so lucky. Would you believe that one of my brand new alan head bolts got stripped already trying to get it out. IDK if it just got twisted in there or what, but how annoying. Anyway, one benefit of working on Iowa jeeps, is they give you plenty of experience removing stuck hardware! I just drilled it out. It was about a 10 minute inconvenience.

View attachment 398460

View attachment 398459

View attachment 398462

View attachment 398461

I drilled out my bolt holes for the Passenger side bracket and ran into another slight problem. The corner guard bolt hole didn't quite line up right.

View attachment 398466

I just bolted up a couple of the other bolts tight and redrilled using the bracket as a guide for my drill. Worked out just fine.

View attachment 398467

Next up, I wanted to paint the holes. I'm paranoid about rust now, so why take any chances right?

View attachment 398468

View attachment 398469

View attachment 398470

View attachment 398471

It will all be covered up with a bracket, so I didn't need to get carried away with the tape. I used a q-tip to apply some POR15.

After that, It was inside for supper while I let the paint dry. I may have it all mounted by tomorrow. We shall see!

Maybe I missed it but which tire carrier did you go with?

I’m kinda curious about the KC’s, I have JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2’s and I’m extremely happy with them for 10 years now, but if one ever goes out I’m not looking forward to the replacement cost, they are more than double the original cost.

I wish I could tell you that I'd run out and take a pic for you, but my jeep won't be leaving the garage until the snow clears up for the year. lol I'll try to remember to post an update on how I feel about them in a few months.

Maybe I missed it but which tire carrier did you go with?

@Wildman is correct. I went with Metalcloak. I was able to get a little further on it today before I decided to call it quits for the night. I got the top two brackets installed and the tire carrier mounted. Tomorrow I'll be all set to mark and drill holes for the lower brackets. I had a hell of a time getting the pin in on the driver side, so I'm hoping it will be easy to adjust it to make it open and close without too much effort. I won't know until I get those lower two brackets bolted up.

Here is how she sits for tonight:

IMG_7980.JPG

@Wildman is correct. I went with Metalcloak. I was able to get a little further on it today before I decided to call it quits for the night. I got the top two brackets installed and the tire carrier mounted. Tomorrow I'll be all set to mark and drill holes for the lower brackets. I had a hell of a time getting the pin in on the driver side, so I'm hoping it will be easy to adjust it to make it open and close without too much effort. I won't know until I get those lower two brackets bolted up.

Here is how she sits for tonight:

View attachment 398518

Curious to see how you like that carrier. Right now I'm not running a spare and don't relish the thought of trying to lift a 170lb tire/wheel combo onto any carrier. But this one was on my radar as an option.
Of course I have to buy 5th tire at some point too.

Curious to see how you like that carrier. Right now I'm not running a spare and don't relish the thought of trying to lift a 170lb tire/wheel combo onto any carrier. But this one was on my radar as an option.
Of course I have to buy 5th tire at some point too.

170 lbs!!!

I know people aren’t huge fans of MC. But my tire carrier bumper from them has been a solid rattle free unit. I took it off because I was dragging the tire on obstacles. Not sure if it’ll be used again at this point.

Reactions: SvtLdr and DrDmoney
170 lbs!!!

I know people aren’t huge fans of MC. But my tire carrier bumper from them has been a solid rattle free unit. I took it off because I was dragging the tire on obstacles. Not sure if it’ll be used again at this point.

Might have been closer to 150lbs but I couldn't remember. Lifting a tire/wheel combo that is over 100lbs is a PITA. Those 38" tires are heavy.

I thought we determined my 40’s to be around 130.

My TSL SX tires were 138 on Hummer rims. The IRock were around that and the Baja XS on aluminum rims weighed more.

OK I was a little off I remembered incorrectly.

My IRock's on steel rims are 128 lbs
The Baja XS on aluminum rims are 138 lbs.

Edit: How about to my old back they feel like 170lbs?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Apparition
170 lbs!!!

I've picked up on some of that in other areas of the forum. It seems MC's reputation has taken a hit since I first used them years ago. Is there a good reason behind it? Or is it just talk?

I went with a ton of their products because I like the way they look, and fit. I've not had a problem yet with a single order (aside from my first set of fenders rusting prematurely, which MC took back and refinished for me for free).

I've picked up on some of that in other areas of the forum. It seems MC's reputation has taken a hit since I first used them years ago. Is there a good reason behind it? Or is it just talk?

I went with a ton of their products because I like the way they look, and fit. I've not had a problem yet with a single order (aside from my first set of fenders rusting prematurely, which MC took back and refinished for me for free).

Mostly from them making claims about what their products do that aren't true.