I've Never Figured Out When Enough Is Enough

Here is OR-Fab's brackets.

J127011_alt2?wid=810&hei=608&op_usm=0.jpg

And here is their tire carrier.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/orfa...umrNCwEA8Jb8pajbCThoCMEIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I just spent probably way too much time trying to research and find that carrier to see if I could order the bracket separate, to no avail. I do like the idea of tying in the tire carrier to the roll bar. I think it will require fabrication work that may be a touch over my head. lol I'll keep searching for a solution.

Thanks for the tip!

It would look similar to this (MOR-ryde) bracket, fairly easy to fabricate IYAM.

EBEAE779-B654-4CED-A3E7-FDD118804B58.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman
@Wildman & @DrDmoney

Thank you for taking the time to hunt down those pictures for me. Super helpful. I'll look into more options on this when I get home. I imagine because of where my mounts are located, building the braces myself will be the only realistic option.

Haha you are correct. Riding use to be my life! I'm still holding on to my old zx10r, and what you saw, was my 2001 Indian Scout. It is currently under a soft blanket of dust.

I'll post up some pics on that other thread if I can find some good ones!

I had a few crotch rockets but had a hard time reaching the pegs after being wounded. I've got a couch now, 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO. I'd looked at the Indian Scout for my daughter when she was getting her first bike. They are nice bikes. I've been riding for a number of years myself.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I had a few crotch rockets but had a hard time reaching the pegs after being wounded. I've got a couch now, 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO. I'd looked at the Indian Scout for my daughter when she was getting her first bike. They are nice bikes. I've been riding for a number of years myself.

I'm not getting any younger, and I definitely have contemplated getting something like that. My knees would definitely thank me. But I have also contemplated selling the bikes for jeep parts in the past, so there is that...

Well, here I am again. Slow day at work, so I finally decided to just leave and do something productive on the Jeep. lol I had two primary goals in the garage today. First was simple. Bolt on the rear fenders. Looks a little wonky with the 4" on the back and 6" on the front, but it is better than nothing for sure.

IMG_8003.JPG

IMG_8004.JPG

So, I have been aware of another mistake that my body shop guy made. When he installed the rear bumper, he didn't put in the bumper support/reinforcement brackets.

IMG_8005.JPG

And on the driver side, this was further complicated by the original owner of the jeep installing this tow hook.

IMG_8008.JPG

Of course, those nuts didn't have any desire to be removed, so I ended up cutting them off. I'll spare you all the angle grinder and air hammer photos, and instead show the happy part.

IMG_8009.JPG

This of course, introduced the need for some more paint. Now, I had also already started cutting the bracing brackets to fit, so they were going to need a little paint as well. Here they are cut to fit:

IMG_8006.JPG

IMG_8007.JPG

IMG_8010.JPG

And here we are installed. For some reason, I only got a picture of the one side. lol Who knows where my head was at...

IMG_8011.JPG

I also added some red shackles because they're sexy. (Oh yeah, and I might need them someday.... That too)

IMG_8012.JPG

Notice in the above picture how my fuel tank skid (which has been coated with POR15+Topcoat), and my bumper (Powder Coated) very nearly match in color! Makes me happy.

New synthetic winch line, door storage hanger, and new license plate bracket just got delivered! I'm most excited about the license plate bracket. I have my little people this weekend, so I may not get out there too much. I'm pretty careful about my priorities.

While my two littlest children played in the yard, my 8 year old and I decided to get some jeep time in. I had him pull on the winch line while I unwound it (held down the button) so that we could replace the ten year old synithetic winch line that has seen better days. My only worry was that the little allan bolt would strip out or be rusted in place. That bad boy just backed right out. I almost didn't believe it. But suffice it to say, the new winch line is in place and ready to pull.

IMG_8018.JPG

IMG_8019.JPG

Next up, was the flasher relay. I assumed it was on the steering column (not my brightest moment), so I pulled the entire thing apart. A fairly annoying task. Of course, after I got the entire thing apart, I realized I was wrong. I was under the steering column hanging from the wiring harness:

IMG_8022.JPG

None of the previous disassembly was required. After 20 minute and a few silent naughty words, I had it all put back together and my blinkers were restored to the correct rythm. It was worth it in the end. Two more tiny projects completed while I wait on the rest of the parts to come in the mail.

Happy Saturday to all!

Got home from church today, and it was so nice out (46 degrees) that we decided to hang out outside for awhile. I used the opportunity to start the work on my license plate wiring, rear camera install, and CB antenna relocation. Let me tell you, that whole thing turned into a much bigger deal than I was anticipating. And because I got buried in the process, I forgot to take pictures. I'll get some later and try to upload some for entertainment purposes.

In short, I mounted the plate bracket so that I could begin to run the wiring. I realized right away that I will need to cut the light mount off because I won't be using it. I made the mental note, the started wiring the bolt lights that I had for it. After reviewing the wiring diagram from MC for the rear LED tail lights, I started the process of routing wires as needed. I pigtailed and tied the wires from the two bolt lights together, than ran only two wires (instead of four [two from each light]) from that point back to the tub of the jeep. Then came the problem of how to get them cleanly into the tub and down to the tail light wiring....

My original plan for this, had been to drill a hole in the tub and run the wiring straight through with a rubber gromet to protect the wires and help keep water from getting in. I ended up scrapping this idea, as I feel like it would be pretty tough to prevent water intrusions. Instead, the current plan is to run the wires over the edge of the tub right next to the hard top. There is a nice little spot there. I'm open to adjusting the plan down the road, but this seems to work for now.

Then I ran into another little problem. When I originally ran the wiring for the rear view camera, I underestimated how much extra wire I would need to make it out onto a swing away bumper. Whoops! Time wise, this was a pretty big setback. I had to re-run some of the wiring and work from the dash back to get as much out of the wire as I possibly could. I suppose I could have just dug into the dash as I'm sure I spooled the extra wire in there, but my dash is extremely UNFUN (Yes, I've decided that is a word) to take apart due to all of the work done to it. Regardless, I think I managed to get just enough to save me the dash teardown project. fingers crossed of course.

As things sit right now, I kind of feel like I need to wait to finish this install until I can get the spare mounted on the carrier. I really need to make sure that the wiring lengths are good with where everything would have to be run through the spare.

SO, I went ahead and pulled the bracket off, marked, cut, and painted it. The bracket is sitting in the vice waiting for the paint to dry.

I may go through the pain of lifting the stupid heavy spare tire up there to finish the install on all of this, but I'm struggling with motivation on that because I still need to refinish my wheels before the spare can go back on permanently. Lifting that thing isn't exactly something I want to do repeatedly....

I'll try to get some pictures up of some of this at some point.

***I also added the door entry guards that came in, as well as the 'quick release' hard top bolts. Did that stuff last night after the kids went to bed.

Yesterday, I decided to finally start the project that I have been procrastinating on for about a year and a half. I think I still have emotional trauma from the first time I assembled my beadlocks, so disassembly, clean/paint, and reassembly is not something I have been looking forward to. These Beadlocks are from a company called DIYFX (at least I think that is who made them). I just spent the money 10+ years ago, and a friend of mine welded them up for me.

Anyways, over time, they have rusted pretty badly. I was originally considering purchasing new aluminum beadlock wheels, but didn't want to get them in the 5 x 4.5 lug pattern as I'm assuming I will eventually change out my HP Dana 30. So I finally decided to just refresh these wheels. I'm still trying to get ready in time for a possible moab trip.

IMG_8032.JPG

It took me over 30mins per wheel to remove the 32 bolts that are on each wheel. As much as it was a pain, I actually was happy and felt like it went pretty smoothly all things considered.

IMG_8033.JPG

I had started on the spare, and after I got the spare pulled apart, I went full tilt on the rest of them.

IMG_8034.JPG

IMG_8036.JPG

I plan to weigh the hardware...

IMG_8037.JPG

I got three apart yesterday, and I ran home this morning between appointments and disassembled the remaining two. Then I ran the rings over to the body shop to get them sand blasted and repainted.

IMG_8038.JPG

I had an out of town meeting today, so when I got back from that, I ran over to the hardware supply shop and ordered 160 sets of hardware to put the wheel back together. I'm going to use stainless this time.

Tomorrow, I need to run to the automotive paint supply store and pick up some more topcoat, then I can start cleaning the wheels up for my home paint job!

I am pretty excited to see them freshly painted and back on the jeep!

Tonight, however, I am exhausted. I think I'll take a bit of a break.

Yesterday, I decided to finally start the project that I have been procrastinating on for about a year and a half. I think I still have emotional trauma from the first time I assembled my beadlocks, so disassembly, clean/paint, and reassembly is not something I have been looking forward to. These Beadlocks are from a company called DIYFX (at least I think that is who made them). I just spent the money 10+ years ago, and a friend of mine welded them up for me.

Anyways, over time, they have rusted pretty badly. I was originally considering purchasing new aluminum beadlock wheels, but didn't want to get them in the 5 x 4.5 lug pattern as I'm assuming I will eventually change out my HP Dana 30. So I finally decided to just refresh these wheels. I'm still trying to get ready in time for a possible moab trip.

View attachment 400682

It took me over 30mins per wheel to remove the 32 bolts that are on each wheel. As much as it was a pain, I actually was happy and felt like it went pretty smoothly all things considered.

View attachment 400683

I had started on the spare, and after I got the spare pulled apart, I went full tilt on the rest of them.

View attachment 400684

View attachment 400685

I plan to weigh the hardware...

View attachment 400686

I got three apart yesterday, and I ran home this morning between appointments and disassembled the remaining two. Then I ran the rings over to the body shop to get them sand blasted and repainted.

View attachment 400688

I had an out of town meeting today, so when I got back from that, I ran over to the hardware supply shop and ordered 160 sets of hardware to put the wheel back together. I'm going to use stainless this time.

Tomorrow, I need to run to the automotive paint supply store and pick up some more topcoat, then I can start cleaning the wheels up for my home paint job!

I am pretty excited to see them freshly painted and back on the jeep!

Tonight, however, I am exhausted. I think I'll take a bit of a break.

One thing I’ve learned about stainless hardware over the years, if you use an impact to tighten it you’ll need a saw to take it apart.

One thing I’ve learned about stainless hardware over the years, if you use an impact to tighten it you’ll need a saw to take it apart.

I was warned at the hardware store to use a lubricant of some kind on it or it'll never come apart. I assumed I would just use antisieze unless that turns out to be a bad idea?

Also, I torqued these last time I did it. So I doubt I will just go to town with an impact. Anyone know what weight I should torque these at???