I've Never Figured Out When Enough Is Enough

What diameter and length are those bolts?

Thank you for that chart. That is super helpful and will come in handy a lot from here on out on all sorts of other projects!

I'm not entirely sure on the diameter and length. I can check when I get back home later. I know the bolt head took a 9/16 socket.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I've been a little quiet on this thread this week, but not because I haven't been working on the Jeep. Just too busy to get on here and post an update. I thought I'd share the process and results that I got in refinishing my wheels. They will never be 'perfect', but that was never my goal.

I started as stated above, by disassembling the bead locks. 160 fasteners in total. Took 30-45 mins per wheel/tire combo.

Once that was done, I waiting for a decent day outside, and rolled them out and hammered the shit out of them with my air hammer to get any loose rust off. noisy, but affective.

This was followed by a heavy dose of the wire wheel.

And then I blew away as much dust as possible with compressed air before I rolled them back in the garage to begin the cleaning process.

When I rolled them back in, I put each wheel on a black plastic bag where they will remain until I finish reassembly.

IMG_8043.JPG

I followed the two step cleaning and prep process that is recommended by POR15. First was a spray down and sponge bath with POR15 cleaner/degreaser, and that was follow up with the POR15 metal prep product. This is suppose to neutralize the rust and etch any bare metal in preparation for paint. (or in this case, the actual POR15 rust coating) Each of these processes were followed up with a thorough rinsing with clean water, and they were allowed to dry overnight after the metal prep.

IMG_8046.JPG

The next morning, I started kind of early because I wanted to get four coats on before I went to bed that night. I started with taping off the tires and valve stems.

IMG_8043.JPG

In the end, I did two coats of POR15 and two coats of the POR15 top coat in Chassis Black color. I waiting four hours between applications, and probably could have gone a touch shorter between the top coat applications. You will see in the after photo, that this process did not produce back to original smoothness, but that is purely because I didn't want to sand the metal smooth.

These next three photos show my wheel that was in the worst condition in the following three stages:
1) After clean-up and paint prep. Ready for first coat
2) After first application of POR15. That stuff is super shiny, and it stay shiny if you don't top coat it. ***It also has to be top coated if it will be in direct sunlight***
3) After the topcoat has dried.

IMG_8048.JPG

IMG_8049.JPG

IMG_8051.JPG

The above process is the exact same process I used on my entire frame.

At present, I am waiting for the rings to come back from the body shop (I wanted them sand blasted), and for the hardware that was ordered locally to come in. Then I will begin reassembly.

Because I am working on my wheel/tire situation right now, I started thinking about solutions for airing up and down. I feel like my single arb on board air compressor would absolutely take forever to air up my tires all the way around, and knowing myself..... I don't think I will enjoy that at the end of a day on the trail. So I decided to start looking at solutions to that, and a quick air down.

That resulted in today's purchase:
ARB CKMTP12 Portable Twin Motor HP Air Compressor w/1gal tank an carrying case:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KEVN00/?tag=wranglerorg-20

ARB ARB505 Deflator Kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQCDOA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

ARB ARB601 Digital Tire Pressure Gauge Inflator/Deflator:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RS57L5/?tag=wranglerorg-20

ARB 10000011 Speedy Seal 2 Universal HD Tire Repair Kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CR4J3W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

ARB ARB4297 Inflation Case:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0754CMH55/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Is this all overkill??? Possibly. Do I care??? No.

Right on. I've been eying that purchase for about a year, and finally decided to pull the trigger today. I'm excited to finally be all set up.

Ive only had a chance to use it a couple of times, I got it for my birthday last month but I've been using my Dad's kit before then, It's just something I throw in my Jeep whenever I head out regardless of how easy the trail is, They're also like a 40-minute drive from my house so I know I will always have easy access to replacements if something does fail or I discover I need something that I dont currently have.

Reactions: EternalHobbyist
Ive only had a chance to use it a couple of times, I got it for my birthday last month but I've been using my Dad's kit before then, It's just something I throw in my Jeep whenever I head out regardless of how easy the trail is, They're also like a 40-minute drive from my house so I know I will always have easy access to replacements if something does fail or I discover I need something that I dont currently have.

That's a pretty sweet bday gift! $$$$$

Reactions: Blake Stamper
I finally got the beadlock rings back from the body shop, and went to pick up the hardware that was ordered last week and it isn't in yet. I think they forgot to make the order. grrrrr

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
I finally got the beadlock rings back from the body shop, and went to pick up the hardware that was ordered last week and it isn't in yet. I think they forgot to make the order. grrrrr

I know there's something to be said about supporting your local hardware. And sometimes you just need something right away that you know is available on the shelf. For instances though when I've had to order multiple pieces, and I don't mind waiting a couple days, this online vendor has served me well.
https://www.boltdepot.com/

I know there's something to be said about supporting your local hardware. And sometimes you just need something right away that you know is available on the shelf. For instances though when I've had to order multiple pieces, and I don't mind waiting a couple days, this online vendor has served me well.
https://www.boltdepot.com/

You just saved me $100 with that post. Not kidding. Amazon was $100 more. I had already ordered, saw your note, canceled on Amazon and ordered on that site.... saved $100.

I officially owe you a beer.

• Haha
Reactions: MikekiM and SvtLdr
You just saved me $100 with that post. Not kidding. Amazon was $100 more. I had already ordered, saw your note, canceled on Amazon and ordered on that site.... saved $100.

I officially owe you a beer.

Sweet dude! Glad I could help!
Yeah, they have really good prices on stuff. It's the shipping that will get ya if you're only buying a couple items. I typically wait to place an order until I need a dozen or so pieces and that way the shipping ends up very reasonable.

I'll take you up on that beer. I'll be in Moab 5/29 thru 6/2. ;)

Sweet dude! Glad I could help!
Yeah, they have really good prices on stuff. It's the shipping that will get ya if you're only buying a couple items. I typically wait to place an order until I need a dozen or so pieces and that way the shipping ends up very reasonable.

I'll take you up on that beer. I'll be in Moab 5/29 thru 6/2. ;)

What a coincidence! I'll be there at the same time!

You got it.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Wildman and SvtLdr
Bolt depot is nice if you just need a few of something but lots of somethings. If you need package quantities, you can't beat McMaster Carr.

Oh yea, MMC is great too, They also have fast shipping with decent rates.

Reactions: EternalHobbyist