I've Never Figured Out When Enough Is Enough

One shot here.. but since you were comfortable reworking the gas tank, could you possibly warm the spot where the RothPax is making contact with the hinge and soften it enough so it deflects around the hinge?

Like you, I am looking for a solution to route wires from the tire carrier (Bestop HighRock Oversize Tire Carrier) back into the tub on the hinge side. I am already drilling into the tub to mount the carrier so one more isn't a problem. Just curious what others have done.

I am thinking something like a firewall grommet...
View attachment 405671

I actually hadn't thought of heating the tank up and trying to rework it. I have a heat gun at work... It is tempting to give that a try. I'm going to think on it.

That grommet is exactly the sort of thing that I was thinking of for routing the wires. For now I ended up wrapping my wires and running them through the gap in the hard top. I'll show it in my next post. I like the way it looks, but I don't know that it will work when I try to put the soft top on.

Reactions: Wildman
I had another couple products finally come in the mail that I have been waiting on. One, was my six MC flares. I had originally purchased the wrong size (4"), so had to reorder. I think the six inch was a big improvement.

IMG_8152.JPG

IMG_8153.JPG

I also had this mess of antenna wire that has been coiled up in the back of my jeep for years. I decided to try my hand at shortening the wire and adding a new connector to the end. I have no idea if it works, because I don't know anyone with a CB radio to test it on! haha

Here is the mess that I discarded:
IMG_8155.JPG

This is the product that I purchased online for the repair: (This product does require soldering in one very easy to do spot, and the link that they provided didn't take me to the correct installation video, so I had to search that out)
IMG_8154.JPG

I'm pretty confident in the fix though. It seamed to work out just fine.
IMG_8156.JPG

A couple of other products came in that allowed me to finally finish up the work on all of the tire carrier related items. That tire carrier ended up being WAY more involved than I realized by the time I had it installed with all of the accessories. Nothing was super straight forward, and adjustments were needed all over the place to get everything working seamlessly together. This post will detail that finishing touches of the adjustments.

I finally got my GMRS antenna wire with magnet mount in the mail, so I could finish making my plate to put the antenna on the rear tire carrier.

This is as far as I was able to get it until the cable came in. I went ahead and threw the mount on it so that I could mark some lines for the final cut:

IMG_8151.JPG

I don't want sharp edges on it at all. That thing just looked like a headache waiting to happen. Or worse, a trip to the ER. So I freehand cut a better shape into it using my angle grinder. I do have a friend with a shop where I could have made this perfect, but I didn't feel like the part was worth the time to do that so I got it as close as I could myself.

IMG_8158.JPG

Next up, Paint:
IMG_8159.JPG

And, after I gave it some time to dry, final install:

IMG_8160.JPG

IMG_8161.JPG

I am very happy with how that turned out. I feel fortunate that I found a nice flat surface to add the mount location.

The final two things, were cleaning up the wiring and installing the jack. The two bolts that you see in the picture above are MC's solution to the jack mount. The problem with them, is that they both point away from each other. So the bracket that is suppose to link those two bolts that comes from MC didn't fit. I ended up screwing the 3/4" nut back onto the end of the bolts and beating them back toward each other with a mini-sledge. It took considerable effort, but I won. Here is a shot with the jack mounted and the bracket in place.

IMG_8163.JPG

I had my CB antenna mount facing inward, but ended up moving it to face outward to allow for the proper placement of the jack. It worked out fine.

Now, on to the wiring. I decided to wrap the wires to protect them from abrasion, and to clean up the look a bit. Here is how that turned out.

This is my first attempt that I had previously tried at cleaning the wires up:
IMG_8145.JPG

And this is what I ended up with. I just purchased this product at the local auto parts store:

IMG_8162.JPG

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Curious to see how you like that carrier. Right now I'm not running a spare and don't relish the thought of trying to lift a 170lb tire/wheel combo onto any carrier. But this one was on my radar as an option.
Of course I have to buy 5th tire at some point too.

I thought I remembered someone wondering how I would end up liking this tire carrier, so I scrolled through and found your comment.

I have it fully installed now, and have driven around town a couple of times. My first impression, is that it does actually rattle. @Apparition had said that his didn't, so it is possible that mine too could be adjusted not to rattle, but currently it is making noise when going over large bumps.

It takes quite a bit of adjusting to get everything working properly as well. Because there are adjustment points on all four corners, it took me awhile to get the pins to come in and out without having to curse them out. Even now, it still takes two hands and considerable effort.

Additionally, the mounts for the rotopax were not as advertised, and the jack mount took some persuasion to get fit properly.

HOWEVER, even with the above information being true, I am pretty happy with the purchase. It handles the weight of the wheel/tire combo without complaint. I was also able to figure out solutions for two antennas, rotopax, jack mount, and license plate relocations. So it does everything that I need it to do.

I don't have much experience off-road, so I'm not sure how that will go. I do know that @Apparition said he took his off due to clearance issues.

Hope this little review helps.

I’m kinda curious about the KC’s, I have JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2’s and I’m extremely happy with them for 10 years now, but if one ever goes out I’m not looking forward to the replacement cost, they are more than double the original cost.

Also circling back to this post to give you my thoughts on the KC's.

I have had a chance to run them outside and after dark now. I will say this, they are multiple times better than stock. They have high and low beam, and that is it. There is not any function for running them as running lights that I know of, nor is there built in blinkers. So if that is your thing, maybe look elsewhere.

I simply wanted high quality stock like headlights, and these delivered. I can't believe I waited this long.

The disclaimer here, is that I have zero experience with other aftermarket headlights. I just know that I am very happy with these. They were just plug and play.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I thought I remembered someone wondering how I would end up liking this tire carrier, so I scrolled through and found your comment.

I have it fully installed now, and have driven around town a couple of times. My first impression, is that it does actually rattle. @Apparition had said that his didn't, so it is possible that mine too could be adjusted not to rattle, but currently it is making noise when going over large bumps.

It takes quite a bit of adjusting to get everything working properly as well. Because there are adjustment points on all four corners, it took me awhile to get the pins to come in and out without having to curse them out. Even now, it still takes two hands and considerable effort.

Additionally, the mounts for the rotopax were not as advertised, and the jack mount took some persuasion to get fit properly.

HOWEVER, even with the above information being true, I am pretty happy with the purchase. It handles the weight of the wheel/tire combo without complaint. I was also able to figure out solutions for two antennas, rotopax, jack mount, and license plate relocations. So it does everything that I need it to do.

I don't have much experience off-road, so I'm not sure how that will go. I do know that @Apparition said he took his off due to clearance issues.

Hope this little review helps.

I have the older Metalcloak tire carrier bumper. They no longer sell it.

Reactions: EternalHobbyist
I thought the same thing. I need to take some measurements and figure it out yet.

Challenge is being able to thread the coax connector through.. Unless you want to splice a new connector which it looks like you found. But you you have to get the new GMRS antenna through there too..

Curious how you resolve this. I have to thread a GMRS antenna and power wires to both a basket mounted aux spot light and work light that illuminates the tailgate table.

Challenge is being able to thread the coax connector through.. Unless you want to splice a new connector which it looks like you found. But you you have to get the new GMRS antenna through there too..

Curious how you resolve this. I have to thread a GMRS antenna and power wires to both a basket mounted aux spot light and work light that illuminates the tailgate table.

For the time being, this is my solution:

IMG_8250.JPG

I think I will leave it that way at least until I get back from Moab. I don't want to risk having antenna problems leading up to that trip. I may wait to work on this further until next winter. Next winter is when I hope to begin to address redoing the interior. I am still developing a plan for that, but cleaning up all wiring will be a big part of it.

This weekend, I finally decided to start working on changing all (most) fluids, and installing the ARB dif cover that has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of months. Wasn't exactly at the top of the priority list.

I was a little worried (only because I hadn't check...) about having the clearance to install my new quick drain oil solution. I also had no idea how much of a pain an oil change would be with my MetalCloak oil pan skid. Turns out, it is no problem at all. Thankfully, this part was well designed.

Here is how that turned out:

IMG_8270.JPG

IMG_8272.JPG

I've used Royal Purple 5w30 in this Jeep for years and years. I have no reason to switch, so that is what I went with for engine oil. Also did the K&N oil filter. Probably not worth the extra money, but again, if its not broke, don't fix it.

My front and rear dif covers now match! I'm sure a bunch of you couldn't give a shit, but it is something that I really enjoy. This was my first time doing a dif cover replacement. I was pretty concerned about getting it to seal up properly. As it turns out, if you just follow the instructions to a T, good chance it'll work out. It worked out just fine for me.

IMG_8269.JPG

Also, you guy's are right. These Ford 8.8 pumpkins are friggin huge. something I am not a huge fan of.

I did have to reroute the air line for the ARB to clear the magnet on the oil drain, but I'm pretty sure that will be just fine (I forgot to get an after picture of how it looked after I re-bent the copper line):

IMG_8263.JPG

As I am writing this, I am waiting for the oil to drain out of my Atlas 2 speed, so that I can button that back up and refill it. That oil still looks brand new that I drained out of it. I doubt I'll ever have issues with that thing. It is a effin tank.

The only think I have left, is changing the Manual transmission fluid, then all driveline fluids will be brand new. Its a good feeling. My power steering fluid is brand new as of last year when I replaced my steering gear box, and the brake fluid is new as of last year when I had my HP Dana 30 rebuilt.

That just leaves the coolant that hasn't been flushed, and I will probably leave that alone until after the upcoming trip.

Reactions: L J and Wildman
I forgot to add, I am using Amsoil on the differentials and the Atlas:

IMG_8274.JPG

I haven't done the research yet to confirm that I can use the same Amsoil product in the manual transmission. Perhaps you guys can chime in on that.

Right now, I am waiting on trans fluid to come in the mail so that I can continue changing fluids. So, after my kids went to bed tonight, I decided to work on cleaning up the wiring from the sound system and various accessories. Most of you probably don't give a shit about this sort of thing, but I like to keep things as clean looking as possible, and this wiring has been driving me nuts.

It is by no means perfect after this work, but at least much improved. My end goal, is to re-route all of it next winter when I hope to turn my attention to the interior of the jeep. This year was all about finishing up the outside.

Anyways, here is some of the stereo wiring that I cleaned up a bit:
IMG_8286.JPG

IMG_8287.JPG

I think this wire ultimately goes to my CB radio.... but I could be wrong:

IMG_8288.JPG

IMG_8289.JPG

And finally, I did some work under the hood as well:

IMG_8290.JPG

IMG_8291.JPG

This section was a PITA:
IMG_8292.JPG

IMG_8293.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Wildman and MikekiM
The wires to the audio components would have driven me mad. Looks a thousand times better and safer as well.

The only wiring I need to attend to is rock light harness installed by the PO, and poorly run along the firewall. It's a spring project for me since I don't have a garage I can pull the jeep in. I've had my eyes on those hood struts for a while. Keep forgetting to order them.

The wires to the audio components would have driven me mad. Looks a thousand times better and safer as well.

The only wiring I need to attend to is rock light harness installed by the PO, and poorly run along the firewall. It's a spring project for me since I don't have a garage I can pull the jeep in. I've had my eyes on those hood struts for a while. Keep forgetting to order them.

Yes, I completely agree. It has been nagging at me for awhile, just always had bigger projects to worry about.

In the engine bay, I have been waiting to clean those wire up until I felt like I was done adding accessory wires. I think I am finally there. The only possibility left is if I add aux lighting. I'm just not a fan of it unless I really feel like I need it. Some of these rigs that hang lights of every possibly mounting location look pretty hoaky to me.

The hood struts were the first project last year when I decided to start working on the jeep again. They still make me smile every time I open my hood.
Be careful not to drill through the top of your hood if any drilling is required.

Reactions: MikekiM
I'll give you three guesses based off this picture what I did today:

IMG_8295.JPG

I've been meaning to do this for awhile, but lately, it seems that every build thread I look at does this over and over again when deciding things like bump stops, shocks and fenders. Today, I decided I wanted to cycle my suspension because I want to visibly see it move properly before I take this thing on a trip. Plus, I wanted to start taking some measurements so that I could start diving into optimizing my current setup. When I put this suspension together, that exactly what I did. I put it together. I didn't cycle it, and I wasn't particularly careful about bump stop measurements, none of that. That is simply why I went with all products from the same company. I wanted them to do all of that figuring for me. Today, I got to see how that all worked, and I'm beginning to be convinced that it can be improved on. I just went with manufacturer recommendations on everything when I installed everything.

So here is my disclaimer for when you see my measurements. I had no idea how high to lift the fork lift. At no point did I have two tires off the ground. ALSO, I noticed that I got braver the further I got into it. So when I lifted the driver side front tire, I got better measurements out of it. I probably need to take the jeep back to work, and lift each corner until the droop tire is barely touching the ground and then take the measurements.

Passenger Side Front:@ Ride HeightStuffedDroop
Between Bump Stops3"08"
Between Spring Perches16"13 3/4"21"
Between Tire/Fender11"5 1/4"19"
Driver Side Front:
Between Bump Stops3"08"
Between Spring Perches16"13 1/2"21 1/2"
Between Tire/Fender11"5 3/8"19 1/2"
Passenger Side Rear:Note: Tire was 26 1/2" off ground
Between Bump Stops3"1 1/4"~6"~
Between Spring Perches10 1/4"8"13 1/8"
Between Tire/Fender10 3/4"6 3/4"15 1/8"
Driver Side Rear:Note: Tire was 23" off ground
Between Bump Stops3"2"~6 5/8"
Between Spring Perches10 1/4"8 1/2"14"
Between Tire/Fender10 1/2"7"16 5/8"

The rocksport shocks that I have should have 11.2" of travel. It looks to me like at my very best, I only used 7.25" of my shocks travel. This could be because I didn't really fully stuff it. Should I be raising the fork lift until the droop tire is off the ground and then lower it until it barely touches?

I wasn't even close to having my tires rub on anything when they were facing straight forward. I didn't attempt to turn them because it didn't seem like a good idea on those forks.

I was also amazed by how much more articulation I got out of the front vrs the rear. Even when I lifted the rear, it was really the front that did the most work (or so it seemed).

I'd like to hear any input that you more experienced folk can give me. I think I may need to add a puck to the rear bump stops...

Finally, there was some creaking that I was hearing in the rear of the jeep as I lifted it and set it back down. Is this normal? or is there a particular direction I should be looking?

Here are some photos I took in case I lost your attention with the spreadsheet.

IMG_8296.JPG

IMG_8297.JPG

IMG_8300.JPG

IMG_8301.JPG

IMG_8302.JPG

IMG_8303.JPG

IMG_8304.JPG

IMG_8305.JPG

Some of these rigs that hang lights of every possibly mounting location look pretty hoaky to me.

Totally agree. a coworker has a new Bronco with eight pairs of aux lights. No joke. Three pairs side by side tucked in the bumper and a pair on the a-pillar. And a rear hitch mounted LED. Maybe more.. those are what I've counted. Nice rig, but it loses my attention with all the lights. I passed a Jeep KJ yesterday.. A lowly KJ.. It had four full length light bars on the roof facing all directions. Plus additional bars scattered about. I bet there wasn't a single relay in that setup. I just shake my head and think...why?

Totally agree. a coworker has a new Bronco with eight pairs of aux lights. No joke. Three pairs side by side tucked in the bumper and a pair on the a-pillar. And a rear hitch mounted LED. Maybe more.. those are what I've counted. Nice rig, but it loses my attention with all the lights. I passed a Jeep KJ yesterday.. A lowly KJ.. It had four full length light bars on the roof facing all directions. Plus additional bars scattered about. I bet there wasn't a single relay in that setup. I just shake my head and think...why?

haha we need pictures of these sorts of things

Reactions: MikekiM