James & The Sahara Build Thread

Funny story today... Ended up using today to work on getting the roll cage out (No in advance it did not come out ahaha).

So, my really nice set of torx bits are 1/4" drive. Using plenty of propane heat on each bolt, I broke not 1, not 2, not 3, but all 4 of my 1/4 ratchets/adapters/breaker bars. Lowes & Sears are not going to like me as I am always breaking these. Broke down and went to Napa & ordered some impact Carlylse torx bits in 3/8" flavor so hopefully they will hold up a little bit better. The 2 bolts I did get out were severely rusted and worried what the condition of the metal under the B pillar is.

Lesson learned, know the limitations of a 1/4" drive is.

Compressor will be here Thursday and should get all of the painting supplies by Wednesday of next week. Hoping to get this project done friday/sat/sunday the following weekend. With the roll cage removed it should be a really easy masking/tape job! Just need to make sure I mask off the cars near me so I don't overspray.... ;)

Funny story today... Ended up using today to work on getting the roll cage out (No in advance it did not come out ahaha).

So, my really nice set of torx bits are 1/4" drive. Using plenty of propane heat on each bolt, I broke not 1, not 2, not 3, but all 4 of my 1/4 ratchets/adapters/breaker bars. Lowes & Sears are not going to like me as I am always breaking these. Broke down and went to Napa & ordered some impact Carlylse torx bits in 3/8" flavor so hopefully they will hold up a little bit better. The 2 bolts I did get out were severely rusted and worried what the condition of the metal under the B pillar is.

Lesson learned, know the limitations of a 1/4" drive is.

Compressor will be here Thursday and should get all of the painting supplies by Wednesday of next week. Hoping to get this project done friday/sat/sunday the following weekend. With the roll cage removed it should be a really easy masking/tape job! Just need to make sure I mask off the cars near me so I don't overspray.... ;)

At least you broke the tools, not the bolts! That is a whole 'nother level of fun!

Everything is coming in much sooner than expected, may be able to start this project monday of next week!

1CB5ACD6-9BB7-4557-9FE9-4AE3A6B25950.jpeg
49B8AF38-2C8A-4CD5-9F82-AD2D972A65C1.jpeg
9F668221-E387-48A2-992B-AA7FF4346298.jpeg

No problem. Before you start spraying the Jeep, try it out on a piece of cardboard first just to make sure it's spraying properly.

That setup (gun and bedliner) should be pretty forgiving though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Will do!
PM me for tips on spraying that stuff. I've used a similar epoxy based kits on truck beds.
I think I understand how it ahould go together now... we’ll see LOL.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Well I managed to eff up the Napa bits with my breaker bar lol. 11/14 rollcage bolts are out and the other 3 bolts are now stripped lol. Will have to weld a nut onto them to get ‘em out. Picked up some grade 8 bolts to replace it with. Hoping weather will be good monday!

66FC359C-47B7-49A6-B569-82023F16C667.jpeg
61F4498E-53F8-44F7-B804-60B6B6A1A4BF.jpeg
43035D4F-12DF-4EC8-8471-94FDBD37BFB6.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and derekmac
I give you so much credit for tackling all these jobs. You are fearless! I need to take lessons, or a few Valium !!
I appreciate that! I try to do what I can!
Oh to be young again! He's in "Beast Mode"!
You can say that again! I’ve never painted with a professional setup before, I’m stoked!
What amazes me is that this is James' DD...at least if I "F" something up in a project i can drive 4 other cars to work if i needed too.
I’m 1 mile from campus if I have to leave the Jeep not driveable. Gotta keep my DD in tiptop shape!

Reactions: bobthetj03 and JMT