Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

Could my head hurt ANY worse after trying to sort through all this I wanna know?!

Simple question: Are there any sealed beam AMBER bulbs that are a direct replacement for the stock fog/driving light housings?

I snagged a pair of JK headlight housings from a buddy last week and plan on dropping them in with some Hella high output halogens, or possibly a cheap pair of LED bulbs from Amazon. Anyone have any experience with that?

@chef_vader

I know this post is ancient, but did this turn out well for you?

@chef_vader, @SSTJ
I put a set of Auxbeam LED H4’s in my Ecodes yesterday. They illuminate the lens flutes exactly like the halogen bulb did. Unfortunately I haven’t gotten a chance to drive them at night yet.

Reactions: SSTJ
I'd like to add an important note. Some of you guys may have noticed that there's a ton of headlights like this floating around out there:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9AQR7R/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You may ask yourself why there's so many supposed 'manufacturers' such as Lantsun, Nightsun, etc., all making the same headlight. Well, it's because they all come from China and they're all shipped to the US and re-branded as whatever they want to call them. They are ALL the EXACT SAME HEADLIGHT, just marketed as a different brand. Don't be a fool and pay an arm and a leg just because one of them comes from a name brand like Nightsun. They're all built in the same factory in China.

I'm just pointing this out because the market is flooded with LED headlights and it can be hard to understand what is what.
Chris if you wanted to have DRL on your TJ with the Lantsun be the best way to go, or is there a better one out there? And if you want that option is it included in the actual light itself so it is part of the plug and play or is it a total separate wire that has to be ran? I have a 2004 TJ.
Thanks.

Chris if you wanted to have DRL on your TJ with the Lantsun be the best way to go, or is there a better one out there? And if you want that option is it included in the actual light itself so it is part of the plug and play or is it a total separate wire that has to be ran? I have a 2004 TJ.
Thanks.

If I wanted DRLs on my TJ I would go with the ones I currently have, the KC Gravity headlights. Of course I have expensive taste too.

Chris...Yes you do! You must not be married-Lol.
Thanks for your input, and your previous posts on the topic. Very helpful and well written.
You’re welcome! And soon to be not married, going through a divorce 😉

Interestingly here in Canada, it seems that Grote 7" LEDs are the go-to performance/cost leaders. They are basically $200 CAD/ea vs everything else being about $350+/ea (JW 8700 $350/ea, Truck lites $350/ea, Vision X $490/ea). Judging by looks alone, they look a lot similar to the UP 31400. I wonder if they have the same OEM. More importantly I'd be really interested to see if anyone has compared them to the others on the list.

https://www.grote.com/white-light/forward-lighting/led-sealed-beam-headlights/90941-5/
I had one question. I have been safetied twice here since importing my Jeep from the states. Here in Ontario you have to have your vehicle meet certain safety standards every some many years. Think of it like a smog test in Cali but for safety items. I passed twice despite not having DRLs, which are a requirement. Further I'd just like the peace of mind of being visible, especially since most of my driving is on country back-roads going up to cottage country where all the trails are. What do I have to do to retrofit DRLs, and are the integrated headlights with DRLs really plug and play with the 3pin connector?

Last edited:
How are these lights held in place if there are no retaining tabs for screws ?
I can't fully answer this but when I replaced my stock halogen headlights for the Cibie ones, there was a retaining piece that held the reflector/housing in place. The retaining piece was the part that screwed in.

Interestingly here in Canada, it seems that Grote 7" LEDs are the go-to performance/cost leaders. They are basically $200 CAD/ea vs everything else being about $350+/ea (JW 8700 $350/ea, Truck lites $350/ea, Vision X $490/ea). Judging by looks alone, they look a lot similar to the UP 31400. I wonder if they have the same OEM. More importantly I'd be really interested to see if anyone has compared them to the others on the list.

https://www.grote.com/white-light/forward-lighting/led-sealed-beam-headlights/90941-5/
I had one question. I have been safetied twice here since importing my Jeep from the states. Here in Ontario you have to have your vehicle meet certain safety standards every some many years. Think of it like a smog test in Cali but for safety items. I passed twice despite not having DRLs, which are a requirement. Further I'd just like the peace of mind of being visible, especially since most of my driving is on country back-roads going up to cottage country where all the trails are. What do I have to do to retrofit DRLs, and are the integrated headlights with DRLs really plug and play with the 3pin connector?

I can't speak for all of the options out there, but if your Jeep came from the U.S. it is (probably?) not spec'd for DRLs. The 3 pin headlight harness doesn't get any power until the light switch is turned on, so DRLs won't get power through it.

I run these cheap-ish LED/DRL combos I got off Amazon — they are such an upgrade from OEM. Great light, sharp cutoff, super easy to adjust. The DRLs had a separate lead. Now being the impatient person that I am, I could not locate a key-on 12v source under the hood, so had to tap an unused spot in the fuse block and run it out through the firewall to a terminal block I put under the hood. Minor amount of wiring, but now DRLs come on with key-on, and work as front indicators as well if you tap the second extra lead into the indicator wire going to the turn signal just beneath the headlamp.

Wow — I paid$87 for these two years ago. They gone up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WM3WDXA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
EDIT — I'm 99.99% sure these are the exact same ones. Way cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NXC9549/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: TJosh02
I can't speak for all of the options out there, but if your Jeep came from the U.S. it is (probably?) not spec'd for DRLs. The 3 pin headlight harness doesn't get any power until the light switch is turned on, so DRLs won't get power through it.

I run these cheap-ish LED/DRL combos I got off Amazon — they are such an upgrade from OEM. Great light, sharp cutoff, super easy to adjust. The DRLs had a separate lead. Now being the impatient person that I am, I could not locate a key-on 12v source under the hood, so had to tap an unused spot in the fuse block and run it out through the firewall to a terminal block I put under the hood. Minor amount of wiring, but now DRLs come on with key-on, and work as front indicators as well if you tap the second extra lead into the indicator wire going to the turn signal just beneath the headlamp.

Wow — I paid$87 for these two years ago. They gone up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WM3WDXA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
EDIT — I'm 99.99% sure these are the exact same ones. Way cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NXC9549/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Right now they have an extra $15 off of the cheaper pair if you "check the box"...