JK rims on TJ?

N

natsuki harvey

my dad has stock 2017 jku rims that i would love to run on my tj im wondering if it will fit height wise should be fine but isnt the tj botl pattern 4.5 and jku is 5.5?

thank you in advance

Yeah, Height wise they are a bit bigger, the offset is much more negative, and the bolt pattern is different. All that being said, it can be done...

I'm running a 3/4" spacer lift for now, and 1.25" thick wheel adapters. I don't have enough room for offroad articulation, but Driving on the street isn't a problem. This winter, I'll be adding 1" lift springs and a 1.25" body lift to get some room for the tires to move.

oPUIxv4L6Mk-B23vN_ML_Ozl_jw7shGKV28EufXEWt4IgTVbsMHA2DN_oNwc1Gw7ADcJDNPBMzrXiIpzUI=w1634-h919-no.jpg

After bolt pattern the big difference is wheel offset. A lot more backspace on a JK wheel.... which means the spacer mostly returns the rim to the stock TJ position. I kinda like the RangerBob look with a more modern, flatter wheel.

Reactions: StG58 and Mike_H
Thanks...I didn't want to just do the black wheel thing, but I don't like the wheels polished or silver. The gray turned out well...better than I thought, in fact.
i have the silver one and i want to plati dipped it maybe but thanks for all the information!
i have a 2 inch lift so height wise should be fine ill look into adapters

my dad has stock 2017 jku rims that i would love to run on my tj im wondering if it will fit height wise should be fine but isnt the tj botl pattern 4.5 and jku is 5.5?

thank you in advance
I just took those same wheels off my jeep and went back to 15" with the proper backspacing.
Mine had 1-1/4" wheel spacers also. If you go this route, you will probably have to add a washer or two to your bump stops so the tire won't rub the control arm when you turn the wheel all the way. At least I had to on mine.

Reactions: StG58
Hi Everyone,

I just joined this site minutes ago, and with a quick search, I came across this thread which detailed a Q&A of the exact question I joined the site to ask. I can already tell that I am going to receive all the knowledge one could hope for from the Jeep Gods here. Nice to meet you all and Happy New Year!

JeepJoe

Hi Everyone,

I just joined this site minutes ago, and with a quick search, I came across this thread which detailed a Q&A of the exact question I joined the site to ask. I can already tell that I am going to receive all the knowledge one could hope for from the Jeep Gods here. Nice to meet you all and Happy New Year!

JeepJoe
@JeeperJoe, that you will. Welcome to the Pantheon of TJ knowledge. The gods must be crazy...

BTW, between sessions of basking in TJ wisdom, how about filling in your profile page so folks know whatcha got?

Last edited:
Reactions: JeeperJoe
I'm new to this forum as well. I have a 2004 and I'm thinking of changing out tires and rims to JK rims. Does the adapter cause and problems with handling/steering??

I'm new to this forum as well. I have a 2004 and I'm thinking of changing out tires and rims to JK rims. Does the adapter cause and problems with handling/steering??
No, getting a bolt pattern wheel adapter is no problem. Just do everything correctly and you'll be golden.

Reactions: nolefan97
Is 1.25” the adapter width size needed when going to a set of JK 17x7.5” rims? I’ll be running 4” of lift (and eventually a 1.25” body lift) with 35x12.50R17 tires on JK Moab wheels.

Is 1.25” the adapter width size needed when going to a set of JK 17x7.5” rims? I’ll be running 4” of lift (and eventually a 1.25” body lift) with 35x12.50R17 tires on JK Moab wheels.

Yo might want to look for a bit wider wheel adapter. I'm running the stock 10" wide tire and they rub the control arms with a 1.25" adapter. If you can find a 2" (I think Spidertrax makes one) you'll be better off with a 12.5" tire. That is going to be a tight fit on a JK wheel though...

Yo might want to look for a bit wider wheel adapter. I'm running the stock 10" wide tire and they rub the control arms with a 1.25" adapter. If you can find a 2" (I think Spidertrax makes one) you'll be better off with a 12.5" tire. That is going to be a tight fit on a JK wheel though...

Rubbing is my concern as well. I might end up going to a TJ backspaced aftermarket wheel on this build if the JK setup is too problematic. I'd prefer not to add 2" of spacing on each corner with heavy 35" tires hanging off if I don't have to.

Rubbing is my concern as well. I might end up going to a TJ backspaced aftermarket wheel on this build if the JK setup is too problematic. I'd prefer not to add 2" of spacing on each corner with heavy 35" tires hanging off if I don't have to.
Yah if you look at the stock backspaceing on the jk rim it's easy to do the math. I think it's about 6.5" but check because I'm not totally sure. Most aftermarket tj rims used for that size tire are 3.75 or so. That's a huge spacer to get that clearance. A far better way is to just swap to jk axles ;)

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.