Khaki Interior Paint

Andresme

Supporting Member
Hey guys, first post but I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time now. Anyways, I just bought some half doors for my 97 TJ and they're in great condition except the interior panels are gray and my interior is khaki (I think? I've seen it referenced as tan or spice as well). It's a sport so I don't think its one of the fancy interiors that the Sahara might have come with.

Anybody find where to get some matching paint for the interior? I can't find anything. Or if somebody has tan interior half door panels they want to trade for my gray that'd be cool too. I saw that's how a lot of these posts ended up.

Someone did this once, I just can't recall who. Hopefully they see this and chime in. Khaki is a tough color to match. It's almost grey with a bit of khaki hue to it.

Anybody find where to get some matching paint for the interior? I can't find anything. Or if somebody has tan interior half door panels they want to trade for my gray that'd be cool too.

@Vasq has some khaki interior half doors and is wanting to trade for agate (probably the gray you have) door panels. Like @Jamison C said though, I think your factory color would be camel, and I'm not sure how different khaki is from camel.

If your interior color is indeed khaki, then a custom mix from Vinyl Pro, out of Georgia ,will be the best match. It is SEM # 5545. i tried some SEM khaki from Amazon (# 15833) but it ended up being to light. The custom mix stuff isn’t cheap, but does match. If you call Vinyl Pro, ask for Anette, she has help a few of us here get that khaki paint.

This link jumps right to some posts I made with pics of the two colors beside each other for comparison. It would be worthwhile to go back and read the whole thing from the start though.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...storation-and-repair.31951/page-4#post-532860

4E770EB7-91C5-45ED-A150-ABF3201B0446.jpeg

Reactions: bedhed
Your interior is camel I believe. They changed to tan in 99, then khaki in 03. Here are a couple helpful threads that covers a lot of different colors.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/interior-maintenance-restoration-and-repair.31951/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/painting-door-panels-with-sem-paint.26094/

This is very useful, thank you! I have to check my door panel for my trim code later today.

@Vasq I would be very interested in trading with you if your panels are still available. I'll take some pics and upload them if you're willing to trade. I just picked them up at a junkyard on monday though so they're really dusty. Pretty good other than that I think though. I think they were off an 01.

If your interior color is indeed khaki, then a custom mix from Vinyl Pro, out of Georgia ,will be the best match. It is SEM # 5545. i tried some SEM khaki from Amazon (# 15833) but it ended up being to light. The custom mix stuff isn’t cheap, but does match. If you call Vinyl Pro, ask for Anette, she has help a few of us here get that khaki paint.

This link jumps right to some posts I made with pics of the two colors beside each other for comparison. It would be worthwhile to go back and read the whole thing from the start though.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...storation-and-repair.31951/page-4#post-532860

View attachment 173881

Also another good resource, thank you! I have a lot of reading to do when I get off work.

i used some Automotive Touchup they color match any OE code.
20$ a can last time i ordered.

i used some Automotive Touchup they color match any OE code.
20$ a can last time i ordered.
How’d it end up? Im not too picky as long as it doesn’t look like trash and wi last a decent amount of time.

By the way if anyone reading is interested in a trade: I think they were agate at one point. It looks like they’ve been sun bleached over the years. They can definitely use some touch up paint.
534FA678-03C7-4AD2-ABEF-45B8E2937063.jpeg
C97F8197-A1DA-4906-887D-4FAFA89E8870.jpeg

How’d it end up? Im not too picky as long as it doesn’t look like trash and wi last a decent amount of time.

By the way if anyone reading is interested in a trade: I think they were agate at one point. It looks like they’ve been sun bleached over the years. They can definitely use some touch up paint.View attachment 173902View attachment 173903
the paint matched my body panels well. not sure i'd try it on the interior panels though. i think there are 2 khaki codes, 1 has more metal flake. check your door jamb sticker for which it is.

By the way if anyone reading is interested in a trade: I think they were agate at one point. It looks like they’ve been sun bleached over the years. They can definitely use some touch up paint.View attachment 173902View attachment 173903
Holy cow, those are sun bleached. Looks like they were the right color. I can't remember where i read it, but i heard a little baking soda and water used as an abrasive can clear up the white wear marks. Maybe give that a try and see if that wants to clear up.

These are the "khaki" panels I'm looking to trade. They were originally off of a 2000 Sahara. The doors themselves use to be white but I painted them to match my Sienna. It's odd, I just took both these pictures at the same time. I think the florescent lighting in the garage makes the hue look different from different angles.

IMG_6629.jpg

IMG_6630.jpg

And this is the Agate interior color I'm looking for.

IMG_6631.jpg

My 99 is Camel (K5), I wanted to do something quick and then order the exact color. I bought Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Nutmeg Satin from Home Depot, it went on really nice and is just a tad darker than the K5 I had mixed. It's close enough where I haven't got around to repainting them and it is very hard to notice any difference.

These are the "khaki" panels I'm looking to trade. They were originally off of a 2000 Sahara. The doors themselves use to be white but I painted them to match my Sienna. It's odd, I just took both these pictures at the same time. I think the florescent lighting in the garage makes the hue look different from different angles.

View attachment 173954

View attachment 173955

And this is the Agate interior color I'm looking for.

View attachment 173956
I can try cleaning them up this weekend and take some pictures if you would be interested in a trade. Let me know!

Reactions: Vasq
Hi all,

I'm interested in this "khaki" color. I have a 97 TJ SE and always thought the tan color of my interior was called "spice". Am I wrong?

Hi all,

I'm interested in this "khaki" color. I have a 97 TJ SE and always thought the tan color of my interior was called "spice". Am I wrong?

Ha, I just re-read this thread and found myself asking the same question. Then, "wait, someone asked it!"—oh, that was me 6 months ago.

So, anyone know why I thought my interior was called "spice"? Was that a 97 thing, or was it just Camel, then Tan, then Khaki?

Edit: Found the answer in the Interior Restoration thread.

Last edited:
Curious if anyone has khaki interior panels interested in swapping for camel ones. I also have tan uppers in perfect condition I’d like to swap for black. I have an 04 rubicon light khaki color. Trying to make a perfect match to my jeep with the half doors I bought. Similar condition is a must as well.

IMG_2533.jpeg

IMG_2534.jpeg

IMG_2167.jpeg