Knocking when turning and crawling

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
A single knock when turning onroad or when the front tires contact and press against a rock. I tested the ball joints a couple weeks ago and could only reproduce vertical play, which I understand is normal. I’m not sure I have a long enough lever to cause horizontal play. Does this sound like ball joints? What could it be other than ball joints?

101,500mi, original ball joints.

JMT

Control arm or frame crossmember is my guess.

Checked all bolts and lock nuts in the steering components and CA’s. Nothing loose. Everything torqued to spec.

Steering test with engine "on" reveals nothing. With key in "on" position to stress steering yields a small knock at the same place in the steering radius. Repeatable. Hands on all joints and connections and barely feel something in drivers side axle ujoint. Not too convincing because it was very faint and not equivalent to the the sound. Two people felt it though. Ball joints appear to only have vertical motion. Tough one.

Last edited:
Ujoints?

I had a knocking at full turn, the front driveshaft ujoint was the culprit.
I rebuilt that shaft 8,000 mi ago. Also put hands on it today and all good. ??? Thanks

I rebuilt that shaft 8,000 mi ago. Also put hands on it today and all good. ??? Thanks

Hope you find it.

For my problem.... it was an old front ujoint.... but it took forever to identify cuz... with weight on the tires, I couldn't get the ujoint to jiggle and jostle enough.

Hope you find it.

For my problem.... it was an old front ujoint.... but it took forever to identify cuz... with weight on the tires, I couldn't get the ujoint to jiggle and jostle enough.

Hmm…I was going to say, as we did the steering test the driveshaft doesn’t move much. I’ll take another look.

Reactions: Sancho