LCoG and long arm lifts

LJ's are a different beast completely, and the east coast trails, rock ledges and beach off roading lends the LJ to well designed 5 link long arm bolt on kit. Additionally a 5 link is always going to be better on the street.

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Thank you Jerry, I've definitely plateau'd in recovery.....but I am WAY better off than when it happened. My biggest issues are the cognitive ones. My speech and motor skills came back......but, I am now half blind in my left peripheral.
I don't know if I'll end up ON road, but I am going to build my LJ (probably with significant help) and she will drive to the trails and we will split seat time.
Basically I have been benchbuilding this and a mustang while I the hospital recovering from a 9 hour brain surgery.
The "funny" thing? I was selling a house when mine happened too!

Wow, you are one strong guy. Your LJ project sounds like great therapy and fun. 👍

As someone else who has medical challenges I wish you the best of luck.
I built my TJ the first time in 2005 after being wounded in Iraq and having no weight bearing on my right leg for 6 months. So I understand the building while flat on your back.
First build I used a Nth Degree longarm. And did a V-8 swap plus changed from a manual to auto.
I also added a Off-Road Only AiRock system which is air springs that replace the coil springs. It's nice because I can lower the Jeep to it's bump stops for getting in and out easier.

Then due to nerve damage to my leg from being shot I ended up parking my TJ for 10 years. Then in 2018 I had my lower right leg amputated. I've been rebuilding it/updating it to newer standards.
So I've pulled the old V-8 and built a new one. I removed the Nth Degree tsuspension and replaced it with a Savvy midarm. I also stretched the rear 4.5" and the front about 3". The one mistake I made was not using aluminum for my armor. But I'll deal with having steel armor for now.

My suggestion is that you go out with others who have a LJ and see what setup they have and how it performs. Then decided how you what mods you want to do to your rig.

Yep, our group can be as pleasant as Pirate but there is about the same amount of knowledge and tech here. So worth putting up with the BS.

Augie,

Sorry to hear about your health issue hope you fully recover quickly. Glad you have your daughter to rely on.

I gather from your location zip code you live on the east coast. Your long arm low CG idea sounds like it would be prefect for your needs.

You should understand most the guys hanging around this forum are TJ owners that like boulder crawling on the west coast where they can utilize 4 link short arm suspensions, like Savvy, to their advantage.

LJ's are a different beast completely, and the east coast trails, rock ledges and beach off roading lends the LJ to well designed 5 link long arm bolt on kit. Additionally a 5 link is always going to be better on the street.

Good luck and enjoy your LJ build journey.

Isn't Bend (OR) in the "west coast" too? Too much rain this weekend and nothing much better to do other than start up this again?

Just where do you get all this crap from?

@LJAugie don't listen to this guy. Terribly wrong Jeep related information in this post.

@Chris you might want to keep an eye on "lightning".

Reactions: rasband and jjvw
Additionally a 5 link is always going to be better on the street.
Not entirely true. A 4-link triangulated rear can have better road manners than a 5-link. It’s all about the shocks and the tuning. I know this from personal experience. My TJ with the Savvy mid-arm handled night and day better than a stock TJ on-road. That’s because of the shocks and the tuning, not the amount of links.

You should understand most the guys hanging around this forum are TJ owners that like boulder crawling on the west coast where they can utilize 4 link short arm suspensions, like Savvy, to their advantage.
Maybe you can explain to the class what locates both axles side to side since you are calling that a 4 link. It isn't.
LJ's are a different beast completely, and the east coast trails, rock ledges and beach off roading lends the LJ to well designed 5 link long arm bolt on kit.
If the Savvy short arm or any short arm for that matter is a 4 link according to you, what are you calling a 5 link?
Additionally a 5 link is always going to be better on the street.
We'll figure out the rest after you explain what constitutes a 5 link by your definitions.
Good luck and enjoy your LJ build journey.
At least you have one thing correct so far.

Maybe you can explain to the class what locates both axles side to side since you are calling that a 4 link. It isn't.

If the Savvy short arm or any short arm for that matter is a 4 link according to you, what are you calling a 5 link?

We'll figure out the rest after you explain what constitutes a 5 link by your definitions.

At least you have one thing correct so far.

Thanks Blaine,

All great questions, that deserve an answer.

I would be glad the help you and your class understand the definition of 4 and 5 link suspensions, short arm vs long, high vs low CG, anti dive and shock dynamics. But first I would like to hear your definition of short arm, mid arm and long arm suspensions, low vs high CG, instant center vs CG, anti-dive relationship to handling and maybe some shock dyno charts you like so we have a defined starting point.

If you could send me a CAD file of your Savvy mid link design, I will have my team input it into Solidworks so we can animate and dissect different designs logics for your class. We can look at your Savvy design vs stock suspension vs say Bomber suspension with real math, geometry and engineering which is the only way to move suspension science forward.

Look forward to working with you.

Thanks Blaine,

I would be glad the help you and your class understand the definition of 4 and 5 link suspensions, short arm vs long, high vs low CG, anti dive and shock dynamics. But first I would like to hear your definition of short arm, mid arm and long arm suspensions, low vs high CG, instant center vs CG, anti-dive relationship to handling and maybe some shock dyno charts you like so we have a defined starting point.

If you could send me a CAD file of your Savvy mid link design, I will have my team input it into Solidworks so we can animate and dissect different designs logics for your class. We can look at your Savvy design vs stock suspension vs say Bomber suspension with real math, geometry and engineering which is the only way to move suspension science forward.

You don't know, do you? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: LakeBeard and L J
Thanks Blaine,

I've played this stupid fucking game with you before Bill. Let's do it the easy way, go fuck yourself.