Let's talk about pneumatics / on-board air hose size

90 to 120
Something doesn't seem right. I've been around quite a few York based systems without tanks and the clutch just cycled pretty fast but not enough to kick out the pressure relief valve. Can you verify the PRV is correct? It shouldn't bleed out pressure if the cut off switch is set to 120 and the PRV is 140.

It is possible the PRV is faulty. I've seen them fail often enough. Maybe it's sticking a little. My system uses a Sanden compressor from a Cherokee, not a york, I don't see how that would change things, but maybe there is something I don't know about it.

It is possible the PRV is faulty. I've seen them fail often enough. Maybe it's sticking a little. My system uses a Sanden compressor from a Cherokee, not a york, I don't see how that would change things, but maybe there is something I don't know about it.
Shouldn't change anything. It is a compressed air system. If the controls are controlling, it shouldn't be doing what it is doing. Do you have a system gauge that will let you see if it is building over 120psi? If not, rig one up.

I have a pressure gauge, it does bump past 120, then drops sharply with a loud hiss, which I assume is coming from the PRV, then a click from the clutch and it bumps up again. The needle moves very quickly. At least I know this is not normal behavior. I'm about due to overhaul the system, fittings are starting to leak, and the compressor needs to be re-lubed. I'll replace the PRV, fittings, and lines and see if I can get it all to work without the tank.

I have a pressure gauge, it does bump past 120, then drops sharply with a loud hiss, which I assume is coming from the PRV, then a click from the clutch and it bumps up again. The needle moves very quickly. At least I know this is not normal behavior. I'm about due to overhaul the system, fittings are starting to leak, and the compressor needs to be re-lubed. I'll replace the PRV, fittings, and lines and see if I can get it all to work without the tank.
If you need it, I'm pretty sure I have a small 1/2 gallon tank still laying around that you could use as a small buffer tank.

Very kind of you to offer and your knowledge is much appreciated

If you need it, I'm pretty sure I have a small 1/2 gallon tank still laying around that you could use as a small buffer tank.

I know you have been eagerly awaiting my update, so...
I replumbed the entire system with DOT truck air brake hose and push to connect fittings, resealed all of the threaded stuff and ditched the air tank. Everything works perfectly. The loud hiss I was hearing was a fitting that had come off. Thanks again for your help

I would reduce most of the extra by getting rid of the tank unless you are using it as an air/oil separator. The tank isn't doing anything for you except adding complexity, taking up space, and adding expense. The test to see what it is doing is simple. With the system operational and the tank full, start to air up a tire from 8 psi to street pressure. From the time you click on the chuck to when the compressor kicks in and starts refilling the tank is all the good it is doing and that is typically what, 10 seconds max worth of air?
The tank is a buffer for the immediate 90lbs of psi the AC compressor is going to put to the hoses. Kinda dangerous to dump that amount of air all at once with a low volume system like this.

The tank is a buffer for the immediate 90lbs of psi the AC compressor is going to put to the hoses. Kinda dangerous to dump that amount of air all at once with a low volume system like this.
Why, when the entire system sees the same psi? The entire system, from pump to chuck is an air tank.

WOW I love a blast from the past.....

I'll continue to run a tank because it's needed for the AiRock system and I've been running a tank for years so I see no reason to change. And yes just to clarify I have used air tools with my OBA system. Yes a die grinder sucks up a TON of CFM so no it doesn't run for long periods of time but it is possible.

Reactions: Zorba

I'll continue to run a tank because it's needed for the AiRock system and I've been running a tank for years so I see no reason to change. And yes just to clarify I have used air tools with my OBA system. Yes a die grinder sucks up a TON of CFM so no it doesn't run for long periods of time but it is possible.
There is no reason to change, but your little tank isn't adding much that is useful to the OBA. Gman's assertion is that not having a tank is somehow dangerous. My York hasn't had a tank in years and has filled hundreds of tires. I would like to know what danger I should expect.

Reactions: Wildman
There is no reason to change, but your little tank isn't adding much that is useful to the OBA. Gman's assertion is that not having a tank is somehow dangerous. My York hasn't had a tank in years and has filled hundreds of tires. I would like to know what danger I should expect.

Yes I ran my OBA system on my TJ when I first installed it without a tank for a few years with no problem.
And I will agree that a 2-3 gallon tank isn't affecting things much if any.

Keep it if it’s not in the way. My 2gl gives me a fast first fill and four minutes overall faster. I use mine more as a accumulator, so I can isolate it if needed. I sampled it in garage with and without. I have the same system in my F150. I use it often to fill and adjust airbags plus air up tires around the dairy.

Reactions: Wildman
Curious about the dangers as well. My OBA system has never had a tank installed. Much easier/cleaner to plumb straight from the air source to the quick-connect fitting.

All what air? Without a tank the pump would have to build pressure, it starts at zero. What is "90lbs of psi"?

Curious about the dangers as well. My OBA system has never had a tank installed. Much easier/cleaner to plumb straight from the air source to the quick-connect fitting.
Keep in mind a tank does not need to be “inline” or plumbed through. One fitting into the tank so it can store the air and deliver it back out the same line when needed. It can be really simple.

All what air? Without a tank the pump would have to build pressure, it starts at zero. What is "90lbs of psi"?

You lines act as a tank don't forget. So you're technically starting at whatever your shutoff switch is.