Looking for input on an off-road capable, daily driver build

ClayAkers

Supporting Member
Now that my 2003 X has become my daily driver, I’m looking for some advice on ways to create a more capable off-reader that still holds its own on the highways.

I live in Central Texas, so being able to drive 75mph is a must if I’m going to get anywhere.

Right now, I’ve got the 4.0L with 4spd automatic and Dana 30/35 setup with 3.73 gears running 33s (3” lift), so regearing is the first priority.

That’s where I would like some input.

Here’s my current thought process:
If I’m going to regear, I might as well add at least one traction device (front is currently open, with factory LSD in rear). I’d like to put ARBs in both, but they’re expensive. I initially thought about keeping the LSD and adding a lunchbox to the front, but we’ve been getting more snow and ice in the past few winters, so I’m not as comfortable with that anymore.

I think I may have bent/tweaked an axel on my last off-road outing (strange vibration in the rear that wasn’t there before), so I’ll probably need new rear ones.

There’s plenty of info about how bad the Dana 35 is, so I’m thinking about just going with a Dana 44 from G2 or ECGS (or the like). That would take care of the axles, gears, locker and disc brake upgrade - and I could get the bolt pattern in 5x5 to allow for the JK wheels I’m running. I don’t love the idea of dropping $4,500 on a new Dana 44, but by the time I have $2.5k in gears, locker, and axles, maybe it’s worth $2k to get the 44 over the 35.

Then, the front…

If I add an ARB locker, new 5x5 wheel hubs and U-joints to the front, when I regear, am I in the same basic situation as with the rear?

What am I not considering?
What are some other options?

A Dana 30 and Super 35 combo has no problem running up to a 35” tire. If 33’s locked are as big as you’re going you could save.

Then plan to do a TT. I know where you wheel. I cut my teeth in that area.

Also, if I still lived there I wouldn’t hesitate to get a front lunchbox locker. That’s what I had and still have living in WA state now.

A Dana 30 and Super 35 combo has no problem running up to a 35” tire. If 33’s locked are as big as you’re going you could save.

Then plan to do a TT. I know where you wheel. I cut my teeth in that area.

Also, if I still lived there I wouldn’t hesitate to get a front lunchbox locker. That’s what I had and still have living in WA state now.
Thanks for the input @JMT !

We have some decent wheeling around here. I love to drive out to CO and wheel/camp there. Hoping to make it to Moab this year. My main goal right now, is to get this highway-ready to make it to Jeepers Jamboree in July to do the Rubicon Trail.

(Just for clarity, by "TT" do you mean tummy tuck?) I've looked into that a bit, but am unclear of the benefits. I'll have to look into it more.

You don't have any issues with the lunchbox on snowy roads?

X2 to what @JMT mentioned, a Super35 rear axle will be plenty strong and save you some coin.

I can't stress enough that your plan to correct the gear ratio is an excellent place to start. Adding traction adders will be gravy on top! You really can't beat having selectable lockers and it sounds like they're already in your budget.

Yes, TT is tummy tuck. It's another great feature to have. Definitely do your homework first because it's not a cheap option. I think just the gears and lockers alone will totally transform your rig and make it more highway friendly.

Nice to see that you found the rabbit hole. Gears is a must for the auto trans, bigger tires, and on-road driving.

Selectable lockers is where it's at for a street driven Jeep that sees trails too.

Stick with the Dana 35 to save some coin unless you are doing uber hardcore stuff with slick and wet trails.

A SYE and a tummy tuck would be ideal for a small tire package that's highly capable and still street friendly.

Reactions: Irun
@starkey480 is beating the hell out of his S35. I wouldn't hesitate to install one if I still had a Dana 35.

TT is great advice. To go along with a TT, I'd suggest control arms with Johnny Joints. I'd also recommend a good quality shock and learn how to fit them with 50/50 up vs down travel.

Plenty of us use TJs as a daily driver. I've put 100k miles on mine and most of that has been with 35" tires. They're not bad when you know and understand how to make evertyhing work in unison.

I don’t love the idea of dropping $4,500 on a new Dana 44, but by the time I have $2.5k in gears, locker, and axles, maybe it’s worth $2k to get the 44 over the 35.
This is a common train of thought. And it wouldn't be impossible to sell the factory Dana 35 for $500+- to make even more back.

We have some decent wheeling around here. I love to drive out to CO and wheel/camp there. Hoping to make it to Moab this year. My main goal right now, is to get this highway-ready to make it to Jeepers Jamboree in July to do the Rubicon Trail.

(Just for clarity, by "TT" do you mean tummy tuck?) I've looked into that a bit, but am unclear of the benefits. I'll have to look into it more.

Yes, TT = tummy tuck. Big gains clearance

No real issues with lunchbox here. 48” snow average. I do drive carefully because it can be stubborn turning. Just go slow on turns.

I wouldn’t hesitate to get a full case Detroit rear locker there either. Bulletproof. My click if you take turns under acceleration. Your choice though.

Reactions: ClayAkers
Have you considered a rubicrawler? It will give you low gears for off road use but you will still be able to run at highway speeds---works great for me.

You’ll get turned away at the Jeep Jamboree for the rubicon trail. They have a requirement now that you have to have a minimum of 37’s.

You’ll get turned away at the Jeep Jamboree for the rubicon trail. They have a requirement now that you have to have a minimum of 37’s.
It looks like @ClayAkers was referring to the "Jeepers" Jamboree which apparently is different than the Jeep Jamboree... One difference being the min. tire size requirement is only 33".
https://jeepersjamboree.com/vehicleinfo.html
There's also some discussion in this thread about the difference between "required" equipment and "suggested" equipment. smh
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/new-minimum-tire-size-for-jeep-jamboree-is-37.61441/

It looks like @ClayAkers was referring to the "Jeepers" Jamboree which apparently is different than the Jeep Jamboree... One difference being the min. tire size requirement is only 33".
https://jeepersjamboree.com/vehicleinfo.html
There's also some discussion in this thread about the difference between "required" equipment and "suggested" equipment. smh
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/new-minimum-tire-size-for-jeep-jamboree-is-37.61441/
Yeah I read that thread which is what made me think of it. I mean I get it because people are just dumb, but it really should have been a requirement for size based on vehicle.

I didn’t even know about the jeepers jamboree before though.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Yeah I read that thread which is what made me think of it. I mean I get it because people are just dumb, but it really should have been a requirement for size based on vehicle.

I didn’t even know about the jeepers jamboree before though.
I agree. The entire event seems laughable to me at this point... I suppose they're still exposing new folks to our beloved pastime, which is a good thing.

I agree. The entire event seems laughable to me at this point... I suppose they're still exposing new folks to our beloved pastime, which is a good thing.
Oh no arguments there. I just don’t think I could do one of their trips, I would get irritated with the other people pretty quick 😂