Looking for Opinions on Snatch Blocks

So, I am curious as to other’s opinions on these “snatch block rings”. It would seem to me that the soft shackle that is fed through the center and anchored off would put such a squeeze on the ring that it would not turn. This, it would seem, would force the winch line to slide through the pulley portion and generate a truck load of heat in the process, or am I missing something here.....
I have one and the pulley turns as the winch rope is pulled through. I’ve only used it a few times and no down side so far.

many of these claim to be usable with synth ropes.
none say use a soft shackle to anchor it. the soft shackle should only be used on a smooth radius it's not meant to be bent in 2 and pulled from a pinpoint, it's designed to lay it's pressure around a smooth radius (like a thimble radius).

that red 1 it not wide enough nor is the Warn............see how that TRE has a wide smooth radius.....that's what we need to use a softie anchor. the others need a steel shackle anchor.

Reactions: matkal and Byhumba
none say use a soft shackle to anchor it. the soft shackle should only be used on a smooth radius it's not meant to be bent in 2 and pulled from a pinpoint, it's designed to lay it's pressure around a smooth radius (like a thimble radius).

that red 1 it not wide enough nor is the Warn............see how that TRE has a wide smooth radius.....that's what we need to use a softie anchor. the others need a steel shackle anchor.
That's a good point and one of the downsides of soft shackles, they can't be used with inexpensive snatch blocks. Some of us carry steel shackles for situations like this.

Edit: obviously from the next post "can't be used" isn't the right way to say this and "some of us carry steel shackles" because we don't have experience with soft shackles

Last edited:
That's a good point and one of the downsides of soft shackles, they can't be used with inexpensive snatch blocks. Some of us carry steel shackles for situations like this.
For the loads most will see, the soft shackles can work very fine. I'll post up a picture of one I used from Ricky to try and get my neighbor's Suburban out of his back field. He had no rear tow points so we stuck the soft shackle in the receiver and speared it with a large Allen wrench. I hit the end of a snatch rope at least 20 times with as much speed as I could get spinning all 4 and hitting the end of a 20 footer. It wasn't kind to the shackle no doubt but it didn't fail and I still use it.

I've used a soft shackle many times with my Warn block. I haven't seen any damage to the shackle. I've also used them on a receiver with a hitch pin several times.

1589902471460.png

you mean like this?....... My question is, once the shackle in this configuration is loaded say to an anchor smaller in diameter than the width of the "snatch donut", would the shackle cinch down and keep the donut from turning?

My question is, once the shackle in this configuration is loaded say to an anchor smaller in diameter than the width of the "snatch donut", would the shackle cinch down and keep the donut from turning?

They aren't really designed for large angles or long pulls, at least the marine versions, but considering how rarely most people use them it probably makes no difference. If you use them every time you are out on the trail it probably isn't the best thing in the world for your line or the ring. It is called a friction ring for a reason. I thought they were really a great idea until I started reading about how they were used in the sailing world or more importantly how they weren't supposed to be used.

For the loads most will see, the soft shackles can work very fine. I'll post up a picture of one I used from Ricky to try and get my neighbor's Suburban out of his back field. He had no rear tow points so we stuck the soft shackle in the receiver and speared it with a large Allen wrench. I hit the end of a snatch rope at least 20 times with as much speed as I could get spinning all 4 and hitting the end of a 20 footer. It wasn't kind to the shackle no doubt but it didn't fail and I still use it.

I've used a soft shackle many times with my Warn block. I haven't seen any damage to the shackle. I've also used them on a receiver with a hitch pin several times.

am i confusing the 3/8" synthetic line vs a thicker (1/2") soft shackle, everything i've seen says no fold overs... only radius'.
this is the main reason i'd seek the TRE is because of that design of the nice rounded anchor point.

Found a new video on the subject. From his testing looks like you lose about 10% performance by using the rings. Not terrible, the nipples F55 adds to theirs leads to think there could be a rope slipping out issue with a continuous pull with intermittent traction.

Great find. Really interesting how the selection of soft shackle can determine if the pulley rotates. This video makes these things look like a pretty good alternative.

It's too bad that the rope doesn't grip more than the soft shackle though. I'd rather see the wear on the soft shackle than the rope. I'm sure the rope slipping on the ring is not that bad though and likely less wear than what is happening at the fairlead.

Has anyone that has used a ring had an issue with the rope slipping out during a pull? IE: getting traction and slack in the line.

@mrblaine

It's too bad that the rope doesn't grip more than the soft shackle though. I'd rather see the wear on the soft shackle than the rope. I'm sure the rope slipping on the ring is not that bad though and likely less wear than what is happening at the fairlead.
One of the shackles they used allowed the pulley to spin and wear on the soft shackle, that's what I was getting at.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
Is it me or does the offroad industry use them backwards to what sailors do?

apparently tree guys use rings too.

Maybe arborist snatch blocks could be another source. They seem to like lightweight stuff too.

Last edited: