Making my TJ a Rubicon Killer

There is terrific advice in this thread. If you want to be “super capable off road” building for lockers is a must. Rear Dana 44 axle with a rear locker can get you through some tough terrain.

Reactions: RubiKiller
Stepping back, what do you wheel? A rubicon killer and a mud king will look different. (The title of the thread and latter comments are at odds).

For what it’s worth, flipping over doesn’t necessarily mean the suspension is bad - could just be too much skinny pedal with lots of turns (without countersteering) ;)

We.
Need.
Pictures!

Let's see this Rubi-Killer in it's beginning stages..
I'll find all the pictures I have of it when I first received it and I'll show what I've done like replacing the fenders which I am currently doing. I just got my bumper but right now I'm sand blasting and painting whatever I can to give longer lasting life to my jeep. I'll take lots of pics!

Reactions: Vasq
Screenshot_20191130_031151_com.snapchat.android.jpg
IMG_20191130_031025.jpg
so that's what my jeep used to look like. Like a TJ does. You can't really tell in the pictures at all, but both fenders are completely rotted out to a point where it's unsafe and not repairable. So I so far have bought new fenders and received them about a month ago now but one came damaged and the company wasn't responding and whatever but now I have my fender repaired my dad is getting a special booth at the body shop so we can paint them and finally install them. I also now have a new bumper and Smitty build bolt on flares my parents were nice enough to get me and I sent those in to be professionally RINO lined so they would last me a while. I'll take some more pics once the fenders get put on and my winch is installed and the flares and so on.

IMG_20191130_031253.jpg

How did you come by the name "RubiKiller". At first I thought you wanted to build a Jeep to go through the Rubicon, which is a lot of rocks, but then you said you didn't want have a Rock crawling, but a mud slinger. So then I thought your Jeep was a Rubicon. After seeing the pictures of your Jeep, I see it's not a Rubicon. Just curious on the name.

Hahahahaha. maybe.

I think you were doing to tight of a donut and flipped on your side but anyways our TJ’s have a high rollover risk even says it on our sun visors. Don’t think it was because the lift you had on. Going with a higher lift will increase the center of gravity and will likely flip if you donuts again.

How did you come by the name "RubiKiller". At first I thought you wanted to build a Jeep to go through the Rubicon, which is a lot of rocks, but then you said you didn't want have a Rock crawling, but a mud slinger. So then I thought your Jeep was a Rubicon. After seeing the pictures of your Jeep, I see it's not a Rubicon. Just curious on the name.
I've got nowhere to rockcrawl where I'm located, I'm nowhere near anything haha

I think you were doing to tight of a donut and flipped on your side but anyways our TJ’s have a high rollover risk even says it on our sun visors. Don’t think it was because the lift you had on. Going with a higher lift will increase the center of gravity and will likely flip if you donuts again.
No no it wasn't tight😂 and I know they are but i know the list won't make it safer but I need suspension and I might as well lift it if I'm going all out.

No no it wasn't tight😂 and I know they are but i know the list won't make it safer but I need suspension and I might as well lift it if I'm going all out.

If you already flopped it in a field and your goal is to not do that as easily, and capability in mud...a lift and more articulation is about the last thing I'd be looking for.

I'd probably add some wheel spacers to increase the track width, do some cutting to fit the biggest tires under there that I could while keeping it as low as I could, upgrade the axles with lockers, and call it a day.

Reactions: reddvltj
If you already flopped it in a field and your goal is to not do that as easily, and capability in mud...a lift and more articulation is about the last thing I'd be looking for.

I'd probably add some wheel spacers to increase the track width, do some cutting to fit the biggest tires under there that I could while keeping it as low as I could, upgrade the axles with lockers, and call it a day.
Another option would be to put full size truck axles under it. Not roll over proof but definitely more stable.

Step one is to settle on a desired tire size. That will create some very clear parameters to plan a build around. Is the limit 33s or is it really 35s?

I'm
Step one is to settle on a desired tire size. That will create some very clear parameters to plan a build around. Is the limit 33s or is it really 35s?
Hoping eventually 37s haha but I would settle at 35 if that's all I could do with the lift and everything.

Another option would be to put full size truck axles under it. Not roll over proof but definitely more stable.
The trials around where I live are really narrow and full size axles would probably not be super great I've already thought of that and ways I could maybe modify them a little shorter but still longer than what I have.

I'm

Hoping eventually 37s haha but I would settle at 35 if that's all I could do with the lift and everything.

35s is the dividing line between factory axles and something larger, even with your Dana 35.