Making my TJ a Rubicon Killer

The trials around where I live are really narrow and full size axles would probably not be super great I've already thought of that and ways I could maybe modify them a little shorter but still longer than what I have.
Wagoneer and early bronco axles are an inch or so wider than a TJ but not near as wide as a full size truck. If you have the money and or the ability you can narrow a full size to what ever width you want.

Reactions: RubiKiller
I want my jeep to be way more capable than any Rubicon I've seen where I am. I want it to do what they can do but better. Way better.

If that means mud, then step one might be to not have a 4:1 transfer case. After that, there isn't anything unique to a Rubicon that makes it any better or worse for what you are after. I say this as someone with a pretty good Rubicon that prefers to avoid mud whenever possible.

Point being, ignore whatever the Rubicon might be and just build the Jeep for what you want it for.

If that means mud, then step one might be to not have a 4:1 transfer case. After that, there isn't anything unique to a Rubicon that makes it any better or worse for what you are after. I say this as someone with a pretty good Rubicon that prefers to avoid mud whenever possible.

Point being, ignore whatever the Rubicon might be and just build the Jeep for what you want it for.
Well let's just say I would like to make my jeep the best jeep In my province. I don't want to be collecting mudding bounties with it I want to take it up hills and through the quarrys and bushes. I just want to be able to crush the competition y'know? Hence the name "RubiKiller"

Well if you want to beat a rubicon, more horsepower, Atlas, selectable lockers, 6 bolt wheels or 8 bolt, bigger brakes

That means focusing the build plan and learning what does what. Understand the movements, find the limits of travel and figure out how to get there.
So I'm going to need some articulation, not a lot. But the thing is a four inch is more expensive than the six inch kit. And can I ask why a mid arm kit is a little better than a long arm kitor even a short arm kit? And for axles... Dana 44 or the 8.8 and if I can get my hands on one what about the Ford nine inch?

Well if you want to beat a rubicon, more horsepower, Atlas, selectable lockers, 6 bolt wheels or 8 bolt, bigger brakes
Would like to do 8 bolts and selectable lockers. And a rear disc break conversion. If I can. As for more horsepower that comes with the new mother hahaha.

So I'm going to need some articulation, not a lot. But the thing is a four inch is more expensive than the six inch kit. And can I ask why a mid arm kit is a little better than a long arm kitor even a short arm kit? ...

All of that fits into learning what does what. From what you describe, short arms will do what you want. Longer arms are a way to solve a specific type of problem during a steep climb. You really ought to have that problem and understand how to correct it before screwing around with moving control arm mounts. Emphasis on moving control arm mounts, not simply making the arms longer.

Personally, I haven't seen a reason to ever do a 6" lift on A TJ. There are smarter ways to get that clearance with more ideal compromises.

I think it’s been said already but an issue with what you’re asking is you want the “best Jeep” and there’s no such thing. There is only specific modifications for specific tasks. So for you the best Jeep will look significantly different from the “best Jeep” that I am striving for which is rock crawling. Instead of trying to go all out, drive it, encounter problems, and mod it to solve those specific problems.

I think it’s been said already but an issue with what you’re asking is you want the “best Jeep” and there’s no such thing. There is only specific modifications for specific tasks. So for you the best Jeep will look significantly different from the “best Jeep” that I am striving for which is rock crawling. Instead of trying to go all out, drive it, encounter problems, and mod it to solve those specific problems.
You guys are here to help me on the way of that journy

You guys are here to help me on the way of that journy
Just spend hours typing topics into google followed by wrangler tj forum. I literally knew nothing about cars until this forum and I’m now super confident doing just about anything on my Jeep from this forum alone.

Last edited:
Just spend hours typing topics into google followed by wrangler the forum. I literally knew nothing about cars until this forum and I’m now super confident doing just about anything on my Jeep from this forum alone.
Thats exactly how I've been doing it it's good to know I'm not the only one😂

well my YJ already beats your criteria, Dana 44's with elockers, bigger brakes, 4.6 stroker motor, atlas 2 speed, woody shafts, will take on anything except a quality ride...
HAHA. I want all that. It's a jeep who cares how it rides it's not a sports car wasn't meant to give quality on road comfort😂

HAHA. I want all that. It's a jeep who cares how it rides it's not a sports car wasn't meant to give quality on road comfort😂
Yeah, I used to talk shit, then I turned 45 and then I got a trip where ride quality demonstrated to me that I can go a lot farther and longer if it is comfortable. I have had a 78 power wagon, 84 CJ, several YJ's, 1 TJ, 1 LJ, 1 JK and the better the ride, the more I liked actually driving it. The LJ is getting 12" shocks so I dont have to worry about bottoming out. bone jarring and teeth rattling for 12+ hours just sucks...

.... It's a jeep who cares how it rides it's not a sports car wasn't meant to give quality on road comfort😂

Don't sell yourself short. A high performing off-road Jeep should also behave well on pavement. You can make everyone in your province jealous of how comfortable your go-anywhere Jeep is.