Measurements for Curiosity and Comparison

YourWorstEnemy

TJ Enthusiast
Looking for a measurements thread so we can all compare clearances and discuss mods to get better clearance.

Year
TJ or LJ
Wheelbase
Front Axle Type
Rear Axle Type
Lift Height and Type (Short Arm/Mid/Long Arm)
Tummy Tuck/Aftermarket/Stock Belly Pan Type
Tire Size
Rocker Panel/Rockslider Clearance
Belly Pan Clearance
Front Diff Clearance
Rear Diff Clearance
Gas Tank Clearance
Rear Lower Control Arm Clearance Front/Mid/Rear of Arms
Front Lower Control Arm Clearance Front/Mid/Rear of Arms
Tie Rod Clearance
Bumper Height Front/Rear

Last edited:
Arms measurements FYI

IMG_0346_LI.jpg

Here is a start...goodness I am going to get killed on my rear diff ;P

Year - 2004
TJ or LJ - LJ
Wheelbase - 106 inches
Front Axle Type - Dana 50 shaved
Rear Axle Type - Sterling 10.5
Lift Height and Type (Short Arm/Mid/Long Arm) - 6 inch Full Traction Long Arm
Tummy Tuck/Aftermarket/Stock Belly Pan Type - Full Traction High Clearance Belly Pan
Tire Size - 38/13.5/R17
Rocker Panel/Rockslider Clearance - 27 inches
Belly Pan Clearance - 22 1/2 inches
Front Diff Clearance - 12 3/4 inches
Rear Diff Clearance - 11 1/8 inches
Gas Tank Clearance - 22 inches
Rear Lower Control Arm Clearance Front/Mid/Rear of Arms - Front 23 1/4 inches/Mid 20 inches/Rear 16 1/4 inches
Front Lower Control Arm Clearance Front/Mid/Rear of Arms - Front 15 inches/Mid 20 inches/Rear 23 inches
Tie Rod Clearance - 17 inches
Bumper Height Front/Rear - Front 29 3/4 inches/Rear 25 inches @ trailer hitch ;P

Can't recall it if's @toximus or @jjvw (or maybe both), but they have some good threads going with measurements in them. Maybe they'll chime in!

It was tox's thread from sometime last year. I have graphs and charts in there that could be updated.

Thats great but it does not include all the ground clearance measurements or slider height etc. that I think would be helpful to people looking for compromises or build planning...only if anyone wants to participate of course :) frame height is a quick measurement but I think others would benefit by seeing the different axle/tire size combos and the diff clearance and bumper heights and control arm clearances as well...thanks!

Thats great but it does not include all the ground clearance measurements or slider height etc. that I think would be helpful to people looking for compromises or build planning...only if anyone wants to participate of course :) frame height is a quick measurement but I think others would benefit by seeing the different axle/tire size combos and the diff clearance and bumper heights and control arm clearances as well...thanks!

These threads often become a contest of who has the highest numbers with little regard for much else and promotes the wrong thing. I think what's more important than any of these measurements (including the other threads) is how well it drives on road and performs off road. I could provide the best numbers here if I moved the axle LCA brackets to the back of the axle tube, ran a Dana 30 front, put an 8" lift on it, ran top of the knuckle steering, and it'd ride like junk and perform awful offroad.

Reactions: D M
These threads often become a contest of who has the highest numbers with little regard for much else and promotes the wrong thing. I think what's more important than any of these measurements (including the other threads) is how well it drives on road and performs off road. I could provide the best numbers here if I moved the axle LCA brackets to the back of the axle tube, ran a Dana 30 front, put an 8" lift on it, ran top of the knuckle steering, and it'd ride like junk and perform awful offroad.
Thats not the intention at all for a thread like this...more for those planning a build they can expect such and such clearance if they go 33s with stock axles...if they upgrade to D44s and keep 33s they are hurting their ground clearance in certain ways...going 1 tons with 35s is not good because of dragging the diffs etc. going LCG too extreme costs you in break over and approach and departure angles...hope you can understand the thought process here is not from a teenager...I would have loved to have seen someones real world clearance with 1 tons and 37s compared to built D44s and 37s or RJs to see what I would give up in clearance.

Reactions: D M