Midnight LJR Build

Ok checked the tub figment and turns out I had the axle wrong. 35’s require axle under. Which is great because now the U-bolts heads aren't hanging down and I now have 26” clearance under the frame.

96A95793-4A40-4C7D-BA9A-44D451ED7C7D.jpeg

Last edited:
Love the picture of the little one sleeping in the back. I have more pictures of my daughter sleeping in my Jeep I always think than I do of her running around. I know that isn't true but it seems like that some times.
She still falls asleep when we go on trips and she's 18 now.

Got the floor finished for the trailer today.

I used two pieces of 5’x5’ 3/4” Baltic Birch and spliced them together to make the 6.5’ total length.

Also test fit a few of the tub sections. Next step is to trim out the tub and get it bolted together.

92FCF19F-2C2D-4F87-836B-2372DD7F2CA7.jpeg
302AE1CA-9D94-47D7-A697-966DE3FBD56A.jpeg
E22AE6C0-EA70-41E0-A48F-B5958EDE2090.jpeg

That will be a nice, solid floor! I really like those wheels! Are they a TJ lug pattern, or do you have to run spacers?

Reactions: Midnight LJR
That will be a nice, solid floor! I really like those wheels! Are they a TJ lug pattern, or do you have to run spacers?

Thanks. The wheels are a TJ pattern. So I don’t have to run adapters.

Also, are you considering adding shocks to the suspension?

I do have shocks I will be installing I got from Dinoot. I am just gonna wait until it is loaded down a little closer to its final weight before installing them. I will likely burn them in after I install the sliders and rack.

Linky to said wheels please? Do they make them in gunmetal or bronze?

Edit: Don't worry, I won't copy you. I don't like black wheels, but they look fantastic on your color LJ.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Any particular reason you went with the smaller warn kit as opposed to the stronger kit. I saw that you got wheels at the same time so the option was there

Liking the trailer build. I had thought years ago that I was going to make/buy an adventure trailer to tow behind the TJ but at this point in my life I know I wouldn't be comfortable in one anymore.

But when I finish my TJ I have a 1947 built trailer that was my grandfathers than I am going to rebuild. It was made by a company called Murie I think. He use to tow it behind his CJ-5 when he would take me camping in the mountains in central Calif.

trailer.jpg

Liking the trailer build. I had thought years ago that I was going to make/buy an adventure trailer to tow behind the TJ but at this point in my life I know I wouldn't be comfortable in one anymore.

But when I finish my TJ I have a 1947 built trailer that was my grandfathers than I am going to rebuild. It was made by a company called Murie I think. He use to tow it behind his CJ-5 when he would take me camping in the mountains in central Calif.

View attachment 181933

Cool trailer, it looks like the side lifts off.

Cool trailer, it looks like the side lifts off.

No they don't. He had a canvas cover that was made for it but it is TOO old so I need to get a new one made for it.
The bed is rusted and where the fenders mount to the bed one side is rusted so I will have some repairs to do to it.

Any particular reason you went with the smaller warn kit as opposed to the stronger kit. I saw that you got wheels at the same time so the option was there

My reasoning went about like this.

Blaine: “Mike order this part number.”

Me: “ok”

I just trust Blaine’s experience, my understanding is he has not seen a ton of problems with the smaller kit. I am not sure I even knew there was a small and big kit at the time. I did pick up a spare hub that I carry on the trail since he recommended I should when doing challenging trails.

No they don't. He had a canvas cover that was made for it but it is TOO old so I need to get a new one made for it.
The bed is rusted and where the fenders mount to the bed one side is rusted so I will have some repairs to do to it.

It will be great to have it restored.

Reactions: Wildman
My reasoning went about like this.

Blaine: “Mike order this part number.”

Me: “ok”

I just trust Blaine’s experience, my understanding is he has not seen a ton of problems with the smaller kit. I am not sure I even knew there was a small and big kit at the time. I did pick up a spare hub that I carry on the trail since he recommended I should when doing challenging trails.

I had the old Warn small hub kit on my TJ before I installed the HP44. I blew up one hub in the 3 years I was running it.
If you only break the hub it is a 10 minute fix.

IMG00433[1].jpg

IMG00447[1].jpg

I had the old Warn small hub kit on my TJ before I installed the HP44. I blew up one hub in the 3 years I was running it.
If you only break the hub it is a 10 minute fix.

View attachment 181940

View attachment 181941
Yeah I kind of like that the hub is the weak link. I feel like if you get yourself into that much of a bind something is going to give anyways and a spare hub is cheap and as easy to fix as removing a wheel.