Milestar Patagonia Tires—Good, Bad, or Ugly?

thanks for the opiniones, seems like these things got a lot of good reviews about a year ago, but seem to have gotten kinda crummy ones since, wonder if they changed?

anyone have recommendations on a good 31X10.5 R15 M/T? i'd like to be on the cheaper side (wouldn't we all) but these are tires, the only thing between you and the pavement/trail. So im guessing its more of a "you get what you pay for" game.
I've got a wealth of tire knowledge but what are your goals? Is your jeep a daily driver?
80 pavement 20 off-road type thing? 50/50?

The terrain in which you off road? Do you see snow and ice, etc. Dry rocks or deep goo?

I'm hearing good things about the Coopers - in fact, they're #1 on my list for eventual purchase at this point. Same size.

My only complaint with the Coopers is the 35 X 12.5 X 15 seem to run small compared to MTR and some of the others. I had them for a couple years, once someone asked me if they were 33's.

Other than that, they grip the rocks well and don't chunk much.

What changed was that there are enough people without sponsorship talking about these tires. LiteBrite doesn't know what a good tire or Jeep part is.

Also the people that bought them were probably still in denial. Or they 'look good' and hadn't really wheeled them enough to find out they're crap.

I have a couple friends who race and wheel on them, and sell them. They are well priced, perform well. I don't like the look personally, but that sounds vain. :) Also not made in the USA if that's pertinent to you.

I hear they do much better in sand than regular MTs. Sounds like a great option, similar to Ridge Grappler and Duratrac.

I like Nittos personally, super strong, last a long time.

In fact, just got a set of KOH-Spec sticky 40s. You can't buy these.

View attachment 68919

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
What Nittos do you like for western oregon (washington) wet and nasty stuff?

I've got a wealth of tire knowledge but what are your goals? Is your jeep a daily driver?
80 pavement 20 off-road type thing? 50/50?

The terrain in which you off road? Do you see snow and ice, etc. Dry rocks or deep goo?
she is a daily driver that sees trails whenever I get the chance that being said I am really not to concerned about on-road/rain manners so long as it's not absolutely god awful. As far as offroad normally some woody trails/mud not so much on the rock crawling. haven't seen snow/ice down here in about 5 years. so that's not a concern either.

I'd like a gripper tire, i'm thinking about getting lockers soon, so i'd like my tires to not be the thing holding me back.

They're not on my TJ but rather my JK. I really like the performance of the 35" Kenda Klever R/T pizza cutter. I paid $133 ea.

she is a daily driver that sees trails whenever I get the chance that being said I am really not to concerned about on-road/rain manners so long as it's not absolutely god awful. As far as offroad normally some woody trails/mud not so much on the rock crawling. haven't seen snow/ice down here in about 5 years. so that's not a concern either.

I'd like a gripper tire, i'm thinking about getting lockers soon, so i'd like my tires to not be the thing holding me back.
My recommendation for you is...

Goodyear MTR...or...

The best kept secret in the tire world....
Kenda. I cringe promoting non USA rubber but they really perform good in lieu of how inexpensive they are. They are a Korean tire but the Klever MT would make you happy. Keep them rotated and enjoy decent life.
20200925_151325.jpg

.... Or they 'look good' and hadn't really wheeled them enough to find out they're crap.

This is the largest contingent. If Patagonias are a good tire for your needs, almost any tire will be a good tire for your needs. The bar has been set exceedingly low.

This is the largest contingent. If Patagonias are a good tire for your needs, almost any tire will be a good tire for your needs. The bar has been set exceedingly low.
Just curious. Did you sipe all your tires? Do you think that your experience with the tire might change had you not modified them? Wondering aloud here, I don't have a dog in this fight.

Just curious. Did you sipe all your tires? Do you think that your experience with the tire might change had you not modified them? Wondering aloud here, I don't have a dog in this fight.

I bought these tires off of Craigslist because I was in need of tires soon. I wanted to bump up to 35s, but did not want to use the 16" Moab wheels that came with the Jeep. These tires came with a full set of new 15" wheels. And the tires still had the molding nubs all over them. Everything was effectively new for not much much than the cost of the wheels in the size I needed. The tires were nearly free and worth seeing what would happen. My expectations were low, but I had no idea the Patagonias would be this awful.

I grooved the Patagonias because their traction both on and off road was terrible. This is plainly obvious just by looking at the tread pattern. That middle band may as well be a racing slick. Additionally, these tires squealed like a pig during any turn or mild braking event. That alone is enough to call these a garage tire as they fell off the boat from Indonesia.

After I grooved them, they actually performed about as well as my old Duratracs and Cooper ST Maxxes. Though their braking performance was still lacking. Then a short while later, I ripped off a large tread block from the outer band. But not where I had cut. This was a large delamination that appears to be about 4x6".

Feeling further disappointed, I put the spare on that had not yet seen pavement during my 4-5 months of ownership. It was then that I saw how severely the four in the ground had worn. There was 3/8" more tread on the unused spare! Now a month later, I'm into the wear bars. This is 6 months later and no more than 8k miles. The actual amount of miles is far less, but I haven't kept good track of that. And now that I've burned my way through my grooving, the squealing pig noise is back as I work my through the grocery store parking lot.

So, tell me what I should think. Uncut, they didn't have no traction and squeal like a pig. I modified them to begin to perform like they claim to. But they are chunking and wearing down so quickly in 6 months that I am going to have to replace them in the next few weeks.

I never had a good experience with them except for about a month after I improved them by cutting them up into a reasonably grippy tire before I realized that they were grinding themselves into powder.

There is nothing that will convince me that the Milestar Patagonia is anything less than the definition of a shit tire with a tremendously dishonest marketing campaign and an astonishingly gullible fanbase who would be equally, if not better served, with a decent all terrain tire. And anyone who says otherwise is calling into question their wheeling experience and good judgment.

They are absolute garbage! Can I be any more clear on what I think of the Milestar Patagonia and the hype surrounding them?

Last edited:
I bought these tires off of Craigslist because I was in need of tires soon. I wanted to bump up to 35s, but did not want to use the 16" Moab wheels that came with the Jeep. These tires came with a full set of new 15" wheels. And the tires still had the molding nubs all over them. Everything was effectively new for not much much than the cost of the wheels in the size I needed. The tires were nearly free and worth seeing what would happen. My expectations were low, but I had no idea the Patagonias would be this awful.

I grooved the Patagonias because their traction both on and off road was terrible. This is plainly obvious just by looking at the tread pattern. That middle band may as well be a racing slick. Additionally, these tires squealed like a pig during any turn or mild braking event. That alone is enough to call these a garage tire as they fell off the boat from Indonesia.

After I grooved them, they actually performed about as well as my old Duratracs and Cooper ST Maxxes. Though their braking performance was still lacking. Then a short while later, I ripped off a large tread block from the outer band. But not where I had cut. This was a large delamination that appears to be about 4x6".

Feeling further disappointed, I put the spare on that had not yet seen pavement during my 4-5 months of ownership. It was then that I saw how severely the four in the ground had worn. There was 3/8" more tread on the unused spare! Now a month later, I'm into the wear bars. This is 6 months later and no more than 8k miles. The actual amount of miles is far less, but I haven't kept good track of that. And now that I've burned my way through my grooving, the squealing pig noise is back as I work my through the grocery store parking lot.

So, tell me what I should think. Uncut, they didn't have no traction and squeal like a pig. I modified them to begin to perform like they claim to. But they are chunking and wearing down so quickly in 6 months that I am going to have to replace them in the next few weeks.

I never had a good experience with them except for about a month after I improved them by cutting them up into a reasonably grippy tire before I realized that they were grinding themselves into powder.

There is nothing that will convince me that the Milestar Patagonia is anything less than the definition of a shit tire with a tremendously dishonest marketing campaign and an astonishingly gullible fanbase who would be equally, if not better served, with a decent all terrain tire. And anyone who says otherwise is calling into question their wheeling experience and good judgment.

They are absolute garbage! Can I be any more clear on what I think of the Milestar Patagonia and the hype surrounding them?

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't doubting you didn't like them. I just thought it might be interesting to hear the whole experience in case someone else pops in here, looking for a real, honest appraisal.

Reactions: jjvw
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't doubting you didn't like them. I just thought it might be interesting to hear the whole experience in case someone else pops in here, looking for a real, honest appraisal.

I'm kinda mad at these tires! :)

Reactions: Mike_H
Watch these two videos. This is a very clear example of how terrible the Milestar Patagonia is. The only difference is the tire.

Milestar Patagonia

Goodyear MTR/K

Last edited:
My experience with Milestar Patagonia MTs has been very good. In the last 3.5 months, I have wheeled in Sedona, AZ, Moab, UT (twice), Farmington, NM, Ouray/Telluride, CO, California, Bridgeport, TX and Slade, KY. I have driven in deep sand, on slickrock, in mud and over very diverse terrain. The Milestar tires have been stellar. They do everything well. They also have great street manners. I would highly recommend. Additionally, I am seeing more and more of these tires on Built trail rigs. They are here to stay and a way better value than most of the big name tire brands.

My experience with Milestar Patagonia MTs has been very good. In the last 3.5 months, I have wheeled in Sedona, AZ, Moab, UT (twice), Farmington, NM, Ouray/Telluride, CO, California, Bridgeport, TX and Slade, KY. I have driven in deep sand, on slickrock, in mud and over very diverse terrain. The Milestar tires have been stellar. They do everything well. They also have great street manners. I would highly recommend. Additionally, I am seeing more and more of these tires on Built trail rigs. They are here to stay and a way better value than most of the big name tire brands.
Sounds like they perform well. But after seeing (hearing) that youtube vid of the guy with some miles on them. And the highway noise they make. I waived off from buying a set.

I was pointed in that direction. Everyone raves about their street performance. But only one vid ive seen with sound and some miles on them on the highway. And it didn't sound good.

Reactions: jjvw