Modoc Guy builds a Jeep

Yup, that’s a good description of where I am! 😸. Or, better yet, up sh*t creek! 🤣

I’m actually about 15 minutes west of Alturas Ca. Right off Hwy 299. Which, for @Alex01 is a long way, and not much shorter for @bobthetj03.

And I really appreciate the offer!! But for now, I’ll say hold that thought.

I’m gonna try putting a dial indicator on the yoke shoulder to see what I can see. Maybe even run it up on jack stands too, and see if that shows me something.

The Dana 44 is the only part I put on this build that I don’t know the background for. It didn’t have any visible damage but who knows. Maybe it was in a wreck, or a junkyard and got damaged there.

But I do need some advice on a shop to take it to if and when that time comes. The big towns closest to me are Redding, Reno, or Klamath Falls. But I’ll go further for a reputable shop. If that Dana 44’s gotta come out, it’s only coming out once.

So, any suggestions on a diff shop?

But I do need some advice on a shop to take it to if and when that time comes. The big towns closest to me are Redding, Reno, or Klamath Falls. But I’ll go further for a reputable shop. If that Dana 44’s gotta come out, it’s only coming out once.

@Daryl or @Mr. Bills ?

A co-worker goes up to Lost Lake every summer. Think that's in your neck of the woods. Trout for days!

Hard to sort through what's been done. BL, MML, stock skid, SSYE, and Rubi Dana 44?
True.

No BL. But I started with installing a Rubi Dana 44. Already had a SYE with no issues. Had no MML or skid plate spacers.

Bought an Adams DS for the install cuz TW didn’t have any parts. When my new Adams DS wouldn’t run without vibration, I tried putting in a MML, which didn’t help. Then I added spacers to the belly skid plate. All because I thought I needed to decrease the DS angle to get it to run without vibration.

Those changes didn’t work.

I called Tom Woods, and discussed my problem. I was told a dual carden DS NEEDS angle to run correctly.

So, I ordered a new DS from TW to be sure the Adams DS wasn’t the issue, removed the MML and skid spacers, installed the TW shaft, adjusted the pinion angle per TW’s spec’s, and still have vibration.

So it seems like the Dana 44 might be the problem, not the DS.

Tony Huff, Action Axle, Redding.

I know of a shop in Livermore, but I don’t have personal experience with them.

Thanks for checking local Alex. Everyone on this board has more Jeep experience than I do!

Reactions: Alex01
I know of a shop in Livermore, but I don’t have personal experience with them.

Thanks for checking local Alex. Everyone on this board has more Jeep experience than I do!
I've heard great things about the shop in Livermore but I figured that would be a way too long of a haul. I'm happy @Mr. Bills was able to throw out a recommendation much closer to you.

I've heard great things about the shop in Livermore but I figured that would be a way too long of a haul. I'm happy @Mr. Bills was able to throw out a recommendation much closer to you.
I still have family and friends in the BA, still go to my dentist in Pleasanton, so coming back there is no problem.

But it’s a 6 1/2 hour drive minimum, and costs a bunch, even at diesel prices.

The Livermore shop was a possibility, but not the first choice. And I knew of their reputation, but had no personal experience with them.

I’m just happy there’s such a great bunch of people on the forum that are local to me and willing to help.

Thanks!

Reactions: Alex01
True.

No BL. But I started with installing a Rubi Dana 44. Already had a SYE with no issues. Had no MML or skid plate spacers.

Bought an Adams DS for the install cuz TW didn’t have any parts. When my new Adams DS wouldn’t run without vibration, I tried putting in a MML, which didn’t help. Then I added spacers to the belly skid plate. All because I thought I needed to decrease the DS angle to get it to run without vibration.

Those changes didn’t work.

I called Tom Woods, and discussed my problem. I was told a dual carden DS NEEDS angle to run correctly.

So, I ordered a new DS from TW to be sure the Adams DS wasn’t the issue, removed the MML and skid spacers, installed the TW shaft, adjusted the pinion angle per TW’s spec’s, and still have vibration.

So it seems like the Dana 44 might be the problem, not the DS.
Do you have a picture of the DS angle to post? That may help!