Modoc Guy builds a Jeep

OK, I’m done. Not screwing with this POS anymore.

It’s got a 1” MML, a 1” belly skid drop, the carden is running at zero degrees of vertical angle, pinion is angled down about a degree and a half, and it still has DS vibration.

I’m gonna finish wiring the switches for the lockers and then it’s going on Craigslist.

It’s not fun anymore, not at all.

If anyone knows someone looking for some high dollar frustration, 20K, and it’s theirs.

Have you run it without the front driveshaft since the MML?
No front DS right now.

Shouldn’t have any issues at all. I reset the pinion this morning so now it’s a perfect straight shot from transmission to rear diff. Zero degree angle at both ends of the DS,

Still makes noise.

I’m going to discuss this issue with the guys at Tom Woods this week. I suspect the DS may be the problem. It’s not one of his, but I know they’ll help, that’s how they are.

But the next step is running it on jack stands, maybe I’ll see or hear something then.

What can I say, my level of frustration is off the chart with this thing right now.

No front DS right now.

Shouldn’t have any issues at all. I reset the pinion this morning so now it’s a perfect straight shot from transmission to rear diff. Zero degree angle at both ends of the DS,

Still makes noise.

I’m going to discuss this issue with the guys at Tom Woods this week. I suspect the DS may be the problem. It’s not one of his, but I know they’ll help, that’s how they are.

But the next step is running it on jack stands, maybe I’ll see or hear something then.

What can I say, my level of frustration is off the chart with this thing right now.
Dialing in vibrations is currently the most frustrating aspect of a build. Honestly, I'm also thinking it's the DS since you already lowered the skid and vibrations are still present. The only other thing could be the tires but since it was fine before all the work was done it would be odd that it became a problem now.

Hopefully, TW is able to help and you're able to get the jeep vib free with the drop then vib free without it.

Man, just went thru your thread. Started reading it since I just picked up an Apex edition as well. I have a dana 44 (non-rubi) that I plan on putting in at some point. Reading all of your frustrations gives me pause. Guess there's worse things than 3.07 gears.

Good luck, you'll get it figured out. Usually the best thing to do when you get this frustrated is park the bitch behind the house, or better yet, at a friends house so you can't see it, and let it sit. Once you calm down you can focus better. It also keeps you from putting a hatchet thru the hood, popping some rounds into the door and pouring gas on the thing and almost lighting it on fire.

Yeah, I got a crazy friend that did that to one of his trucks before I took it from him and hid it. He called a week later wanting his truck back!

Man, just went thru your thread. Started reading it since I just picked up an Apex edition as well. I have a dana 44 (non-rubi) that I plan on putting in at some point. Reading all of your frustrations gives me pause. Guess there's worse things than 3.07 gears.

Good luck, you'll get it figured out. Usually the best thing to do when you get this frustrated is park the bitch behind the house, or better yet, at a friends house so you can't see it, and let it sit. Once you calm down you can focus better. It also keeps you from putting a hatchet thru the hood, popping some rounds into the door and pouring gas on the thing and almost lighting it on fire.

Yeah, I got a crazy friend that did that to one of his trucks before I took it from him and hid it. He called a week later wanting his truck back!
Yup, best thing to do is walk away for awhile.

And you shouldn’t be worried about doing your swap, I believe what I’m going through isn’t normal. And those 3:07 gears are hell on pulling the hills.

Dialing in vibrations is currently the most frustrating aspect of a build. Honestly, I'm also thinking it's the DS since you already lowered the skid and vibrations are still present. The only other thing could be the tires but since it was fine before all the work was done it would be odd that it became a problem now.

Hopefully, TW is able to help and you're able to get the jeep vib free with the drop then vib free without it.
I would have gone through TW for my DS if they would have had the parts to make them. They couldn’t build anything for a while.

I’ve suspected the DS had a problem for a while now, but at $330 a pop, it’s not something I wanna change like socks!

But, if it gets me my Jeep back, I’ll buy another one in a heartbeat!

And I’m running out of time here. I want to get the bugs out of this build before I run the ‘con in September.
I don’t want to test this rig on the trail, if something fails, I wanna be closer to home.

What angle is the DS and Pinion at currently? (I'm still assuming it's the DS just curious.)

What angle is the DS and Pinion at currently? (I'm still assuming it's the DS just curious.)
Transmission is 10 degrees, DS is 10.5 degrees, pinion is 10 degrees.

And it still makes noise.

I’m putting it up on jack stands today. Maybe I’ll see or hear something I can’t while driving it.

And no front DS.

My rear ds was happiest with the rear pinion 3* lower than the ds, so don't be afraid to play with the angle some more. Do 1* at a time and take it for a spin each time.

My rear ds was happiest with the rear pinion 3* lower than the ds, so don't be afraid to play with the angle some more. Do 1* at a time and take it for a spin each time.
I had it at 1 1/2 degrees and it didn’t seem to be any better.
But what the heck, wouldn’t hurt to try.

What lift do you have on your rig, and do you have a MML and/or skid drop?

I had it at 1 1/2 degrees and it didn’t seem to be any better.
But what the heck, wouldn’t hurt to try.

What lift do you have on your rig, and do you have a MML and/or skid drop?
3" SL, 1"MML, 0.5" BL, Barnes t-case skid that tucks up 1" higher from factory skid. Sum that all up and the ds feels 3" of lift total.

3" SL, 1"MML, 0.5" BL, Barnes t-case skid that tucks up 1" higher from factory skid. Sum that all up and the ds feels 3" of lift total.
Thanks Jim. I didn't think your Jeep was lifted much more than mine. Only I don't have a BL, or a TT. ( I'd like a TT some day!)

And after discussing the DS problem with Tom Wood's staff, I've got a new DS on it's way. Josh mentioned that I should raise my skid back up to run that DS, so I'm totally happy about that. Maybe a TT IS in my future!

I'll be happy to put the skid back up to stock. This whole process has really screwed with my muffler and tail pipe setup. My little rubber hangers are stretched about as far as they can go! :oops:

So, I think today I'll take the spacer out of the skid, and maybe start doing a little locker switch wiring.

Maybe put the front DS back in too. I'm getting really good at pullin that pup out! :ROFLMAO:

I'll be happy to put the skid back up to stock. This whole process has really screwed with my muffler and tail pipe setup. My little rubber hangers are stretched about as far as they can go! :oops:

So, I think today I'll take the spacer out of the skid, and maybe start doing a little locker switch wiring.

Maybe put the front DS back in too. I'm getting really good at pullin that pup out! :ROFLMAO:
I'd leave the front DS out for now just so you can make sure the rear is dialed in. That is unless you've driven it around in 4high and confirmed it's vibe free with it in.

Also, I'll warn you a TT is one of the biggest can of worms on a TJ that there is. Unless you find yourself high centering often I'd leave it alone. Or just do a minor tuck as Jim did.

I'd leave the front DS out for now just so you can make sure the rear is dialed in. That is unless you've driven it around in 4high and confirmed it's vibe free with it in.

Also, I'll warn you a TT is one of the biggest can of worms on a TJ that there is. Unless you find yourself high centering often I'd leave it alone. Or just do a minor tuck as Jim did.
I put the front DS back in so I can drive it. Amazingly, I've had no issues so far from the HP30 side of the build.

While I waited around for the last DS, I ran around breaking in the new front diff gear set with just the front DS. Smooth and quiet.
Only thing I noticed was doing a turn from a stop, I could feel the axle u joints articulate, but that's to be expected.

Reactions: Irun and Alex01