Modoc Guy builds a Jeep

Put it up on jack stands Friday. I tried to put an indicator on the yoke edge and the DS, but I couldn’t find my big magnetic base and couldn’t get a good solid base to take a reading.

Ran it up to about 55mph and couldn’t see the DS doing anything, but could feel the vibration. Though it does feel differently being up on stands and not being under load.

I’m considering trying @bobthetj03’s angle of 3 degrees at the pinion to see if that makes a difference. Might as well since the diff shop’ closed till after Labor Day.

Well, I set the pinion angle at about 4 degrees and it still makes the same noise.

I just don’t know. I’ve tried every angle on that DS. I’m all out of ideas.

I’m gonna call Action Axle, thanks to @Mr. Bills, and see if they can see something I can’t.

I’ll let everyone know how that turns out.

Be sure to tell Tony that I referred you. His service is always first rate for everyone, but you may get a call back a bit sooner.
I mentioned in my message I gotta referral from a forum member, but I don’t know your name for sure, otherwise I’d name drop in a heartbeat! 😸

He did say on his answering machine that his schedule is out to October! ☹️

But I wanna talk with him first, see if he’s interested in taking this on.

Reactions: Alex01
Thanks @Mr. Bills , I’ll give Tony another call in the morning to see if he can help me out!

I was hoping I’d sacrificed enough money for the Jeep gods and goddesses to shine down the light of favor on my little Jeep...........

......but I guess not. 🤣

Reactions: lowranger
Spoke with Tony at Action Axle this morning and I’ve got a time set for mid October. That’s the best he could do because he’s that busy!

And I shot the bull with him for a good 45 minutes. Definitely a knowledgeable and nice guy!

So, I guess I’m going nowhere until I can get this DS/rear end issue sorted out. ☹️

And now, all I want for Christmas is my damn Jeep back! 🤣

All packed up and ready to go to the Doctor! 😸

Er, uh, I mean Action Axle in Redding. And I’m hoping that Tony’ll help get the DS issue resolved.

E4CF5597-B04E-4A2D-B224-1255CD697A82.jpeg

My biggest concern is the Dana 44. I wanna make sure that noise isn’t a bad bearing, problem with the gears or LS clutch plates, or anything else to do with the locker.

Tony mentioned that my 3” lift is right at the threshold of DS vibration for Jeeps in general, so there’s that.

Or maybe since I’m half deaf, I just can’t hear exactly where and what I’m listening to! 🤣

But in the end, I’m thinking a second set of ears, a educated and experienced set of ears, should help.

Well, seems as though I was looking at the wrong end of my Jeep for the vibration. 😖

Tony pushed the caster out about 2 degrees on the HP30 and got some good reductions in vibes. According to Les Schwab it was about 6 degrees on their machine, so now maybe it’s closer to 8.

He also said the front DS spline was sloppy and may be contributing to a vibration, so we’re either going to replace the spline section, or go with a new front DS.

I originally thought about replacing the front DS, but didn’t to save a couple bucks. But it’s got a 100k+ miles on it, and I know the PO wheeled the shit out of it, so now I know I shouldn’t have cheaped out. 🤣

OK! Got a new front DS coming, and I should be picking up my Jeep early next week.

Tony at Action Axle says he’s adjusted most all of the vibration out of the Jeep at the front pinion, so I’m hoping that once the new front DS is in, it will do the freeway like it used to. Smooth and vibration free!

So, I guess I’ve learned a little here. Never underestimate the benefit of another set of eyes or ears!

So now, I need to order the engine skid, and finish this phase of the build. But I’m not quite done yet.

I’m planning to swap the stock front upper CA’s. Adjustable ones will let me center the front bump stops, they’re a little off from the PO’s lift.

And I’ve been planning how I want to get rid of the long arm setup the PO installed. Right now, I’m debating to go with re-installing the lower CA mounts in the stock position and go with a Currie short arm, or maybe shorten the long arms I have, and fab a custom mid-arm setup.

But, for now, once I get the Jeep back, I’m planning on driving it for the winter. Any big project like CA’s will have to wait till spring, and warm weather. 😸

Great news! Can't wait to hear how she is with the new front driveshaft!
Me too!

I’m planning to go with some of the NorCal guys and do Cow Mountain near Ukiah Ca. as a Halloween run.
And I’m feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas morning! 🤣

I’ve been working on this thing all summer, and I can’t wait to go test it out!