Near Miss

jtf440

TJ Enthusiast
Tonight I was driving to dinner with my little brother and sister and some dummyhead in a Cherokee pulled out perpendicular to me, crossing the road while I'm approaching 50 mph. I slam on the brakes and miss this guys rear passenger quarter panel by about 6 feet before he got out of the way. I locked up all 4 35" General Grabbers with stock brakes in the front and discs on an 8.8 in the rear. Weird thing is is that I hit the brakes, pushed the clutch in, and counter-steered (the ass end stepped out) without even thinking about it. Sure got my heart pounding.

Tonight I was driving to dinner with my little brother and sister and some dummyhead in a Cherokee pulled out perpendicular to me, crossing the road while I'm approaching 50 mph. I slam on the brakes and miss this guys rear passenger quarter panel by about 6 feet before he got out of the way. I locked up all 4 35" General Grabbers with stock brakes in the front and discs on an 8.8 in the rear. Weird thing is is that I hit the brakes, pushed the clutch in, and counter-steered (the ass end stepped out) without even thinking about it. Sure got my heart pounding.
It’s always the Cherokee drivers...

Once upon a time at a bizarrely spaced pair of stop lights (less than 200 feet apart) I was watching the first one and missed the second one turn red. The car in front of me stopped short and I was going too fast to not hit them even with the brakes locking up the front tires. I was in a full skid wheels turned to the left to shoot into the turn lane beside them and still going straight. I let off the brake pedal enough to regain steering, it whipped to the left enough to miss them and I locked them up again to stop right beside them.

Based on that experience and many others similar on dirt, snow, and ice, I'm curious as to how you can counter steer with all 4 locked up?

Once upon a time at a bizarrely spaced pair of stop lights (less than 200 feet apart) I was watching the first one and missed the second one turn red. The car in front of me stopped short and I was going too fast to not hit them even with the brakes locking up the front tires. I was in a full skid wheels turned to the left to shoot into the turn lane beside them and still going straight. I let off the brake pedal enough to regain steering, it whipped to the left enough to miss them and I locked them up again to stop right beside them.

Based on that experience and many others similar on dirt, snow, and ice, I'm curious as to how you can counter steer with all 4 locked up?
Well now I'm not sure that I actually locked all 4 up or my steering input actually did anything. I think I just steered into the skid reflexively but didnt notice that nothing really happened.

Just had the same thing happen to me last night. Traveling 45mph and someone in a Ram 1500 pulled out in front me. My first real emergency situation since installing BMB brakes. Front 35s locked up and couldnt hear my horn over the squealing tires.

Reactions: jtf440
People are paying less and less attention as we go, got to watch them every second.

I am new to the TJ world, waiting on an ice storm. I have an Ace Hardware in mind not too far away that does not have pole lights to find the edge. Better to get out of shape there the first time, ya know?

A flat ice glazed over large parking lot on a very early Sunday morning can sharpen your skills without dinging you up if you are pushing the edge and fall over. Taught my kids and me a lot like that in the olden days.

Stay safe and keep an eye out for the fools that are not.

Cell phones have radically changed the rules of engagement. I miss the good old simplistic days of drunk drivers, teenagers and ancient fossils behind the wheel.

Its not even really cell phones, I think most of its drugs, has to be. Most of the idiots aren't even on their phones and they still drive like jerks.