Need Help Choosing Engine: So Many Options

There is not much gained by using a 232 crank is there?
I found the number one con rod was bent at some point, likely hydrolocked. That morphed into a mini stroker.

'72-'79 AMC 232 crank (3.5" stroke), 677cp pistons .020" over, 4.0 rods resized, mopar 229 cam and lifters, edelbrock head, HS rockers, SB pushrods, rollmaster double roller, mopar MLS head gasket, mopar standard pressure oil pump, MORE engine brackets and mounts.

Total displacement right at 250ci.
Quench ended up a little tall at .050".
Static comp will be around 9.5:1, dynamic should be 8.2:1 so it'll be a premium fuel motor. No idea what power output will be, but playing around on desktop dyno it might net me an extra 20hp and 50ftlbs simply because of the higher compression and air flow.

There is not much gained by using a 232 crank is there?
It's not a radical change in displacement, mainly a boost in compression, but I'm not looking for big power gains. Decided if I'm going to rebuild it I may as well stroke it and the mini strokers can use all off the shelf parts and avoid custom pistons/rods/grinds/tuning issues etc. Wasn't happy with the machine shop work on my original head, said screw it and stuck the edelbrock head on it. What's your setup?

Last edited:
258 crank from an 84 cj, 7120 head, hand ported, 1.94/1.5 chevy valves, I needed to grind the crank so I had it offset ground to increase the stroke so I didn't have to shave the block anymore than necessary, crane 753901 cam and lifters, stock rockers, H802CP .030 pistons, bore and stroke is square. 2000 intake, $90 ebay chinese header, 62mm throttle body, Hesco fuel pressure regulator, Mustang 27# injectors, block was shaved about .006, pistons were polished and I had them CNC machined to lower the compression.

My biggest problems were running lean and having a shitty radiator so it runs hotter than I like in the summer. It was a solid build in 2005-2006, still runs strong, but I just dont drive it enough, milage with the 4.0 was 14 mpg, with the stroker I was able to get 16. I am running 4.11 gears on 33's with the 32RH transmission. I want to put a similar combination into my LJ, just need to sell a kidney to pay for it...anyone need a kidney, it only produces a few stones a year.

Yea that's alot more custom parts than I was willing to deal with. Hoping mine runs ok too. I've got the same tire/gear/transmission setup as you.

Yea that's alot more custom parts than I was willing to deal with. Hoping mine runs ok too. I've got the same tire/gear/transmission setup as you.
I was experimenting, the combinations are easier now. Now it is just a grind the crank, shave the block, bore it and assemble. Pistons are real simple. I built mine on the cheap up until I started to swap to chevy valves, which was a super big mistake. If I was to do it again, i will run 5.7 hemi valves, they are bigger but dont require special valve springs, guides, retainers and locks. It is really only a couple of hundred more than a stock rebuild and about 60 hp over stock.