Need Help Choosing Engine: So Many Options

Rick Brewsler

Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a replacement engine for a 2004 Jeep TJ Sport on 35's and a 4" lift. I Hydrolocked the current one. Insurance is paying $2100 and I could do around $1000-$1500 on top of that (around $3500 budget). I would like to get a crate motor, but Im willing to put it in myself so budget is for motor and any additional parts I may need.

So, I've been shopping, and I have been reading many forum posts (p.s. I love this site!). But I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options out there...

Couple of questions,

If I get a 270 hp stroker will I need to modify a lot of other stuff? or is it drop in and go?

If I get a 205 hp stroker will the addtional 15 hp make much of a difference over stock?

What's the difference between 4.6L and 4.7L strokers? I've seen a lot of strokers that say 4.7L V8, but still claim to be a direct replacement for the 4.0L l6, is that accurate? do they have 4.7l l6's too?

Who's got the best quality/price ratio motor these days? I've heard a lot of good things about Titan Engines, and they're strokers are in my price range (assuming I don't have to do too much extra), but they don't specify the hp or torque.

OK, so that was more than a couple questions, but believe me that I've been trying to find these answers for myself for weeks.

Thanks for any help on this!

Last edited:
Great idea going with a 4.0 stroker. However, I have heard the reliability suffers when you stroke the 4.0.

I would try to research reliability data as much as possible on stroked 4.0Ls.

If it's a dedicated trail rig I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 4.7L stroker but if you also need it as a DD I would lean toward sticking with the old reliable 4.0 stock crate engine.

I think if you research the reliability aspect of a stroker motor your answer will become obvious to you imho.

Reactions: Rick Brewsler
Thanks for the reply.

I've seen plenty of people on the forum say that reliability is an issue, but just as many that says it's not... so I don't know, will keep researching.

Reliability is certainly important to me. I guess it would depend on what issues I may run into, I've accepted that I will have to replace things when using a jeep off road, but sure wouldn't want to have to replace an engine every couple of years.

I use it as a daily driver in the summer with trail riding on the weekends and store it in the winter.

Thanks again

Reactions: KCsTJ
Thanks for the reply.

I've seen plenty of people on the forum say that reliability is an issue, but just as many that says it's not... so I don't know, will keep researching.

Reliability is certainly important to me. I guess it would depend on what issues I may run into, I've accepted that I will have to replace things when using a jeep off road, but sure wouldn't want to have to replace an engine every couple of years.

I use it as a daily driver in the summer with trail riding on the weekends and store it in the winter.

Thanks again
Winters can be long in Michigan which might make for a reduced Jeep season.

In that case I would be tempted to get the 4.7L stroker crate motor and start wrenching. Your not going to be racking up major miles on a regular basis. :)

And if you do decide on the stroker, pls send progress pics of the engine build.

Stock 4.0 with a supercharger. Did that to my last TJ and it was an absolute beast! A bolt on supercharger is less than $3000 and can be installed in 4-6 hours. I installed mine myself in less than a day.
There you go @Rick Brewsler there is some real life field research for you to chew on. :)

perusing youtube I came across a guy "bullshitkorner" who had a m90 supercharger on his jeep, he was pretty happy with it initially but then came to dislike it to the point he took it off..... His biggest complaints were the poor milage, so bad that he had to carry extra fuel for any sort of off road trip, he is up in Canada, he was saying he only got 300 km to a tank of fuel, so that is what, 180 miles? not sure what his actual milage was....... Chris, you have had this set up before, did you experience this? It is a good chunk of coin for a single up grade, having a hard time making the choice......

perusing youtube I came across a guy "bullshitkorner" who had a m90 supercharger on his jeep, he was pretty happy with it initially but then came to dislike it to the point he took it off..... His biggest complaints were the poor milage, so bad that he had to carry extra fuel for any sort of off road trip, he is up in Canada, he was saying he only got 300 km to a tank of fuel, so that is what, 180 miles? not sure what his actual milage was....... Chris, you have had this set up before, did you experience this? It is a good chunk of coin for a single up grade, having a hard time making the choice......

I've watched a few of his videos, very entertaining.

yeah.....entertaining is one description....LOL. One thing I do like is that he shows what he screws up and how he fixes it....chances are I would make similar mistakes and at least he shows how he corrected them.

There are a lot of variables that can affect mileage. For instance, I’ve got a stock 4.0, 3 speed auto, 4.56 gears, 33” tires and I only get 12-13 mpg.....I WISH the mileage was so bad because I was running a supercharger! Hahahaha

My point is that he may be getting such poor mileage as compared to you because of other aspects of his setup, not just because of the supercharger.

Personally, I’d just look for reliability. I don’t want to drive the Jeep fast and it’ll go up a mighty steep hill with stock power. Sure it’s slow, but I’m good with that, it feels kind of tankish that way hahaha. PLUS, they just don’t have the brakes to support going fast and I don’t think they need to be pulling any more than capable with stock power either. But everyone has their own likes....just sharing my personal thoughts on it. Personally I’d drop in a stock 4.0 and use the rest of the money for other upgrades.

Last edited:
@Rick Brewsler, while were on the subject, would you consider a stroker WITH a supercharger... :)
Now we're talking super beast !

I don't have the $$ for both right this second anyway.

I did end up doing the stroker (hence the no $$) and I love it so far! My rig is performing so well that I'm not sure I have to regear from 3.73s for the 35s I put on it (but I'm still looking into that). I'm getting 82 mph @ 2100 rpm (not that I drive that fast, but I had to try it!) Low end is pretty good too. Haven't tried it on a steep hill or deep in some sand yet, but I will!

Reactions: KCsTJ
i've had a vortech supercharger on my mustang since 91 my original vortech serial] number was in the 200's ,new ones are in the thousands. they wont really change gas mileage if you drive normally and in the event it breaks you can take off the belt and limp home trust me I know

Reactions: lindsey97
I don't have the $$ for both right this second anyway.

I did end up doing the stroker (hence the no $$) and I love it so far! My rig is performing so well that I'm not sure I have to regear from 3.73s for the 35s I put on it (but I'm still looking into that). I'm getting 82 mph @ 2100 rpm (not that I drive that fast, but I had to try it!) Low end is pretty good too. Haven't tried it on a steep hill or deep in some sand yet, but I will!

Rick, who’s Stroker block did you go with? Sti happy with since Oct? Anything you would do differently?

There are a lot of variables that can affect mileage. For instance, I’ve got a stock 4.0, 3 speed auto, 4.56 gears, 33” tires and I only get 12-13 mpg.....I WISH the mileage was so bad because I was running a supercharger! Hahahaha

My point is that he may be getting such poor mileage as compared to you because of other aspects of his setup, not just because of the supercharger.

Personally, I’d just look for reliability. I don’t want to drive the Jeep fast and it’ll go up a mighty steep hill with stock power. Sure it’s slow, but I’m good with that, it feels kind of tankish that way hahaha. PLUS, they just don’t have the brakes to support going fast and I don’t think they need to be pulling any more than capable with stock power either. But everyone has their own likes....just sharing my personal thoughts on it. Personally I’d drop in a stock 4.0 and use the rest of the money for other upgrades.
So it is not so much that I want to go fast, but I have an off road camping trailer that I like to pull and dropping down to 2nd gear in a 6 speed transmission to pull a hill on a highway is kind ridiculous, in my opinion.... it is not that heavy of a trailer.....M416....... so that is why I am looking for more power.... I think I will re-gear to 456 and see if that helps....then contemplate what approach to take for more power.........

I have a 250 + horse 4.6 stroker, love it. It's in a 94 yj, I put on the oversize throttle body, 2000 intake, mustang injectors, howell adjustable fuel pressure regulator, ported head, crane 753901 cam, and several other options. If you go this route, you can run the 7120 head, get it ported or port it yourself. Get a set of ebay 5.7 hemi valves that are take outs from someone hot rodding a hemi, they fit the guides and springs with no modification. THere was a guy on Jeep strokers who could get you cnc dished pistons named Oleshot, it helps keep your compressions down. The only problem I have is that my compression was too high and I have to run premium gas because the computer keeps it running on the lean side. If I was to do it again, edelbrock head would be on the list. Milage ranges from 13 - 18 depending on my speed and the wind.

Its basically a bolt in and a lot of things have changed since I built it 12 years ago. Check out www.jeepstrokers.com for some of the options and you can search my user to see what else I forgot.
Oh and I forgot, an $89 ebay exhaust manifold, and a pacesetter exhaust, makes it sound like a small block...wife even likes the sound of it's growl.
Tim

Last edited: