California NorCal Jeep adventures!

The UV-5R is not FCC legal anyway so if you get one you can use it on ham bands or anything else you want, it's not like you are doing anything more illegal than the radio is already. Who cares, not like the FCC has anybody checking or ever will.

Guess it's a mute point, cause what good would it do to get a GMRS radio if nobody in your group has one. That's the beauty of CB, everyone has one, they are cheap and easy to setup on your rig. 9 times out of 10 you only need a short range to communicate within the group.

Guess it's a mute point, cause what good would it do to get a GMRS radio if nobody in your group has one. That's the beauty of CB, everyone has one, they are cheap and easy to setup on your rig. 9 times out of 10 you only need a short range to communicate within the group.
Sounds like you're talking yourself out of a GMRS. :)

You get a free personalized plate out of the deal.

Less expensive than the other California personalized plates, but not completely free.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr11

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...717-3e8cdae51255/reg17a.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

View of front bumper with TRE fairlead and safety thimble.jpg

Less expensive than the other California personalized plates, but not completely free.
True, fortunately no recurring charges like most of the others. I'd use my call but my original plate is "777" and I like that better for now. N6SA, my Dads call is on his car, people always ask if he works for NASA.

I have been searching on and off for a while and can't find the thread where people list their skid plate ground clearance. Anyone know what thread that was?

Scored a 77% on my practice test. I'm working on it! When I can consistently score over 80% I'll start looking for testing sites. May take a while, lol! Recommendations on a entry level handheld welcome. I want it to be repeater capable and have a antenna amplifier.

If you go handheld either buy a cheap throw-away like a Baofeng or go quality. I have a Baofeng UV5RA that I purchased years ago, now a backup, that still works quite well with a slightly longer antenna than the one that came with the unit. There is a Baofeng Facebook group that can give you guidance as to the good antennas on the market today. I am using this 7.5" aftermarket antenna, purchased in 2013:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y2SPH6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

As far as "quality" units are concerned, I like the Yaesu "handy talkies" better than Icom or Kenwood, but as with all ham radios any of the "Big 3" are good and it boils down to personal preference which is best for you. (For mobile radios rather than HT's I like Kenwood.)

Another thing you can do if you purchase a HT is use a mag mount external antenna. It will improve performance dramatically over the "rubber duck" on the HT. The MFJ-1724B is a good one. I keep one in my rig as a backup or to lend to someone if necessary. I used one for years as my "permanent" antenna on my CJ-7, stuck to my tire rack.

21aE1VL8ufL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
I've got three with that XP-669C antenna, give them out to anybody that needs a radio that tags along. I'd call them cheap throw-away but they are stout little radios, not perfect but great for trail use. I don't even bring a charger on our trips anymore and we leave them on by mistake overnight sometimes. One upside of the UV-5R and it's less than compliant design is if you travel with non-HAMs you can program in MURS frequencies and talk there "legally." At least on MURS channels you don't have to use your call sign as your buddies squawk about somebodies butt crack on the radio. Goodluck on the test.

Last edited:
Why do you want a HT vs. a mobile install?

[P.S., a head's up - Its just ham. Its not an acronym so not all caps and not a proper name so not an initial cap either. And so you won't look like a newbie when you get your ham license the acronym "73" that you see/hear hams use is old telegraph code for "best regards" and its just 73 not 73's.]

KG6LMV

Its not an acronym so not all caps and not a proper name so not an initial cap either. And so you won't look like a newbie when you get your ham license the acronym "73" that you see/hear hams use is
Ham isn't an acronym, neither is 73. I guess that's the problem when you start to be the internet police right? Everybody make mistakes.

Why do you want a HT vs. a mobile install?

[P.S., a head's up - Its just ham. Its not an acronym so not all caps and not a proper name so not an initial cap either. And so you won't look like a newbie when you get your ham license the acronym "73" that you see/hear hams use is old telegraph code for "best regards" and its just 73 not 73's.]

KG6LMV

At this stage I'm really sure what I want. I don't want a bunch of clutter in the jeep with multiple units, I do know that. I figure that in the beginning, I'll just be using it on jeep runs, but will still primarily use CB for back-n-forth banter. I guess I figure that is why a hand held (is that what HT stands for?).