California November Castle Crags State Park run

My FIL migh come in his YJ. We would head up Saturday morning and set up camp at the Castle Craggs camp sites probably. Down by the river

Reactions: Alex01
So what’s the plan on this trip?

Is everyone going to be staying at that Rail Road park place and then going out doing trail runs from there? I am not familiar with that area at all but might be available that weekend.
We are renting a caboose friday/saturday. I've never been before but from the video, the trail looks fairly tame with some optional areas that look a bit more fun.

Reactions: tomtaylz
We are renting a caboose friday/saturday. I've never been before but from the video, the trail looks fairly tame with some optional areas that look a bit more fun.

Cool, we will be bringing our daughter if we go too. So the kids will be able to play.

Looks like some of us will be a Railroad Park and some at the State Park, but they are both really close to each other, so it should work out fine. The trail to Tamarak Lake is a little sporty, but still tame by most standards. There are a ton of other trails up there. You could literally spend weeks up there and not hit them all.

Reactions: tomtaylz and Alex01
Looks like some of us will be a Railroad Park and some at the State Park, but they are both really close to each other, so it should work out fine. The trail to Tamarak Lake is a little sporty, but still tame by most standards. There are a ton of other trails up there. You could literally spend weeks up there and not hit them all.
A little sporty is good. @tomtaylz has to pop his ZR2s cherry.

The trail to Tamarack Lake is easy. There is a rock pile at the lake that is fun to play on, and several other trails in the area in the easy/moderate category. There is one semi-secret "trail" in a flume, which may or may not be legal to run, that has a couple of obstacles as tough as any trail anywhere and bypasses that are best described as difficult.

There's no reason not to bring a stock rig and even purpose-built rock buggies can find something "interesting" to do.

Yeah, Will, our ZJ buddy, played around those rocks while we chilled at the lake at watched him.
20160717_152500.jpg

20160717_145610.jpg

I'd be down for the one semi-secret "trail"

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: bobthetj03
Ok, me and the wife and the kiddo are in.

We got, I think caboose 17 for Friday/Saturday night. Gonna make a whole weekend out of it. Have not been in that area much before.

Look forward to meeting a few of you!

Still a day run for me.

Any thoughts on a spot for Friday night or Saturday night group dinner?

We typically get together one night at the Railroad restaurant. Which night is up to you guys. If weather is good one night could be a bbq get together.

Is someone in charge of calling them with a head count?

Provided I make it to the run, I will volunteer to call in the reservation prior to leaving on the run with the head count. If I don't make the run, @tomtaylz will have to make it since he's the thread starter. My participation rides on when my daughter has her baby. She's due October 30th, in which my better half will be spending a week with her to help with the boys.

Reactions: tomtaylz
We'll also need to pick a trail boss for the run. I've only been in the area once, so I'm not super familiar with the area. @Thunderhead I think is more familiar with the area. @Mr. Bills, are you familiar with the area?

I can get us to the lake, otherwise I've usually been in the middle of whatever group I've been with and haven't paid as much attention to the various side trips as I should.

If the weather is good tomorrow morning I may join a group going up to the lake. If i go, I promise to pay better attention to those side trails.