NP231 doubler / crawlbox

The 300 case/gears cost is not near as bad as the 205. They cases make some sense if your already running the original case. Even then once you add new shifters due to the case change you quickly get to an AA case in price.
It is so easy to over spend or spend unwisely while building or rebuilding these things.

Yes it would be nice if the 205 prices would come down to a more reasonable price. I think with just about anything if you're not careful you can lose sight of what you're doing and over spend. I know I've done it before.

It's like right now for me, do I spend anymore money on my STaK's or not? If something major breaks I'm SOL and would have to start over. So then what do I do? I won't know until I'm at that point. If I can afford it I'll most likely buy a 4 speed Atlas. But being stupid like I am I'd also like to build a Np205 with a crawler box... See how I do this to myself?

Other than the 300 shortcomings on width it is almost a perfect case for low to mid HP rigs.

100% agreed.

I like that the new 300 cases are available. They have increased the 300 interest and all of the internal pieces are now in production again, insuring parts Availability for a while longer. Something about that freshly machined aluminum calls to us.

Why do they all have to do the same dumb cost adding crap like machine them out of billet? That is just ridiculously expensive to get something that does nothing except add cost and look pretty. That is a dead simple casting to do and when done correctly is every bit as tough as whatever they are making it out of now.

If they wanted to get fancy and keep the "billet" look, they could do a center section casting, billet end plates and still be money ahead.

Why do they all have to do the same dumb cost adding crap like machine them out of billet? That is just ridiculously expensive to get something that does nothing except add cost and look pretty. That is a dead simple casting to do and when done correctly is every bit as tough as whatever they are making it out of now.

If they wanted to get fancy and keep the "billet" look, they could do a center section casting, billet end plates and still be money ahead.

I dunno? I don’t know enough about metallurgy or engineering to know the answer. What is the minimum for a casting order of that type? What is the cost to get the cast correct before production?
That is what I find crazy. Unless you just want to upgrade or repair a case you already have or you want something different they don’t make much sense.

A new Billet 300 from MM is $3800. The AA 2 speed with 4-1 is around $800 cheaper. And you get updated internal parts. Things be crazy.

I dunno? I don’t know enough about metallurgy or engineering to know the answer. What is the minimum for a casting order of that type?
1 is the minimum. The cost drops per part as the quantity increases.
What is the cost to get the cast correct before production?
With today's 3D printers, it is pretty easy for a casting engineer to nail it on the first try. I've had 4 different knuckles cast. They haven't messed any of them up yet. We do a printed sample, they send it to me, I test fit the parts, make any changes, send it back, it comes out of the foundry just like we want it to.
That is what I find crazy. Unless you just want to upgrade or repair a case you already have or you want something different they don’t make much sense.

A new Billet 300 from MM is $3800. The AA 2 speed with 4-1 is around $800 cheaper. And you get updated internal parts. Things be crazy.
I should get an estimate from my engineer.

Looks like an Atlas 2-speed priced up for me to $3128.00.

5.0 gears, guessed at the shaft spline count and yoke size.

Yes. The midnight box with 4-1 is $3800.
The atlas has been updated internally from a 300.

Once you add the gears to a 300 build it starts to be hard to pencil out.
I did a flipped 300 with an EcoBox in front of it for around $2500.
I have 2.62, 2.73 and 7.15 gearing.
If I were to add the billet box an atlas would have made more sense. Although I thought the DIY double case was going to be around $2k. Complete rebuilds and shifters added to the cost.
If I ever have to get inside the 300 case it will get the 4-1 gears.
You could flip a 300 tcase and add 4-1 gears for around $2k depending on price of a stock 300. Only works with a manual trans though.

Reactions: Wildman and RINC
Yes. The midnight box with 4-1 is $3800.
The atlas has been updated internally from a 300.

Once you add the gears to a 300 build it starts to be hard to pencil out.
I did a flipped 300 with an EcoBox in front of it for around $2500.
I have 2.62, 2.73 and 7.15 gearing.
If I were to add the billet box an atlas would have made more sense. Although I thought the DIY double case was going to be around $2k. Complete rebuilds and shifters added to the cost.
If I ever have to get inside the 300 case it will get the 4-1 gears.
You could flip a 300 tcase and add 4-1 gears for around $2k depending on price of a stock 300. Only works with a manual trans though.

My thoughts are adding to doubler to a case that has 4-1 or like 5-1. I have a manual. Trying to get really low gears because of that manual.

My thoughts are adding to doubler to a case that has 4-1 or like 5-1. I have a manual. Trying to get really low gears because of that manual.

With my doubler I am 7-1 with stock gearing in the case. I dont need to be lower than that. The only reason I want the 4-1 gears is to have something between the 2.73 and 7-1.
In a perfect world I would like 2-1 and
4-1 in each box.
The flip kit is $750. Saves you a grand if you don’t need the shiny new aluminum case.

https://downeastoffroad.com/dana-300-flip-kit/

• Love
Reactions: RINC
Sorry for not keeping up, but I've heard flipped D300s pretty much always leak and are not good for a daily. That was part of my interest in the MMW case. Any truth to that?

Reactions: Wildman
Sorry for not keeping up, but I've heard flipped D300s pretty much always leak and are not good for a daily. That was part of my interest in the MMW case. Any truth to that?

The leaks are from the shift rails being on the bottom when flipped. The above flip kit moves them to the top of the flipped box. It also uses atlas shifters so it retains a stock ish look inside.

Reactions: Wildman
So I could find a used D300, buy the gears I want, flip kit, and I would have something functionally the same as the MMW billet D300 that's shorter than my NP231, small'ish, doesn't leak, and has 4.1 gears? If so, I'm gonna start tracking down parts.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Wildman and RINC
So I could find a used D300, buy the gears I want, flip kit, and I would have something functionally the same as the MMW billet D300 that's shorter than my NP231, small'ish, doesn't leak, and has 4.1 gears? If so, I'm gonna start tracking down parts.

Yea. You will need to buy the TJ shift levers. The flip kit just comes with generic levers. They can be bent to work but I chose to buy the pre bent levers. All in You could be just over $2k depending on used 300 price.

B8F08EDB-3791-487E-92A1-C0551E9182F8.jpeg

I need to expand my search area. I find no Dana 300 cases on Craigslist.