NP231 doubler / crawlbox

So anyway... t-case doublers....

What I'm hearing pretty consistently is that I should regear first, then worry about doubling my transfer case or any other low gearing option.
You should definitely regear first. I’ve found that my 4.0/AX-15 with 4.56 and 35” tires rides great on the highway, but would 100% prefer lower gearing since it’s not a highway cruiser.

Last edited:
This mimics the situation I was in. Engine braking with a Detroit in the rear caused the back end to lose traction and start sliding. Had I known better at the time I would have powered out of the slide, but it was my second time out in the TJ.
What makes you certain it was the Detroit that caused the loss of traction instead of the weight transfer?

Them and Bohemoth Drivetrain. But they cost more than the atlas. Without the updated internals.

Yes never said they were CHEAP....

But the box with 4:1 LoMax gears and 32 spline front output shaft is $3500 which makes it about $250 more than and Atlas. I wonder which is stronger?

The stock case where you supply the gears and internal parts starts at $1400. You can find a used Dana 300 for less but IMO what makes this the BETTER option is that you can get it as a drivers drop and no flip kit is needed.

I've not heard good things about Bohemoth but have no first hand knowledge about them or how long it takes them to ship things.

Yes never said they were CHEAP....

But the box with 4:1 LoMax gears and 32 spline front output shaft is $3500 which makes it about $250 more than and Atlas. I wonder which is stronger?

The stock case where you supply the gears and internal parts starts at $1400. You can find a used Dana 300 for less but IMO what makes this the BETTER option is that you can get it as a drivers drop and no flip kit is needed.

I've not heard good things about Bohemoth but have no first hand knowledge about them or how long it takes them to ship things.
I was looking into the bohemoth stuff. They were just bought recently by an investment company who seems to have the capital the rebuild the brand. I’m not sure either on the size differences. It’s good to have some options as the Dana 300 units are getting harder to find.
The nice thing with the DEO flip kit is the atlas shifters which fit the stock console nicely with minimal work. And it takes care of all the flipped 300 leaking issues. My reference to the price was that a flipped 300 can be done for $2k with the 4-1 gears.
Those aluminum cases are nice though.

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
Is the 2 speed atlas over $3k?

Depending on how you option it out YES $3236.98

Screenshot (98).png

I was trying to compare the two built about the same way. Like if I was putting it in my Jeep.

Now honestly if I was doing it and MONEY wasn't an issue I'd get the Rock Box with 4:1 and the NWF Black Box in front of it with 2.72 so I'd then have 2.72 & 4:1 & 10,88 with the 1st two ratios being used the most.

I was looking into the bohemoth stuff. They were just bought recently by an investment company who seems to have the capital the rebuild the brand. I’m not sure either on the size differences. It’s good to have some options as the Dana 300 units are getting harder to find.
The nice thing with the DEO flip kit is the atlas shifters which fit the stock console nicely with minimal work. And it takes care of all the flipped 300 leaking issues. My reference to the price was that a flipped 300 can be done for $2k with the 4-1 gears.
Those aluminum cases are nice though.

Yes that flip kit you have is great and it solved a lot of the OLD flip kit issues. But like you said it's nice that they are offering the aluminum cases again. When STaK's was offering their kit I knew a few people who bought them because they'd broken the stock D300 case. I doubt with the 4 popper you'll have any issues with it but guys with V-8's did have issues so these new cases give them an option,