NP242 Transfer Case Swap?

again.. unless someone has a 231 and 242 side by side can't really answer that unless you give us something to measure their 242 from that is common between 231 and 242.... like say one of the bolts they mount to rear of trans..

length...... it is reported they are 1" longer to end of rear output shaft but that is an iffy measurment though likely not longer.

this might help. Have no read thru it

[URL]https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/np231-vs-np242-mount-height-comparisons-207326/[/URL]

Thank you, I had not found that thread, it provides some useful information, if they are correct and the 242 hangs 3/4 of an inch lower than the 231 we know part of the height difference.

I apologize, I didn't think I was being unclear, length from the mounting surface to the transmission to the end of the rear output shaft as that would be the measurement that will affect the rear driveshaft length.

Hi gents,

I would like to swap NP231 to NP242 in my TJ with NV3550 5 sp box.

Unfortunatley - I managed to get the 21spline version (early years), my box requires 23 spline.

Being in Europe - no easy task to get one...

I could get new input shaft though from RockAuto - but is it swapable to early NP242 TC?

Hi gents,

I would like to swap NP231 to NP242 in my TJ with NV3550 5 sp box.

Unfortunatley - I managed to get the 21spline version (early years), my box requires 23 spline.

Being in Europe - no easy task to get one...

I could get new input shaft though from RockAuto - but is it swapable to early NP242 TC?

What year 242? Around 95-96 the gear teeth were redesigned. So the new input needs to be early or late type depending on your np242. Many np transfercase inputs will swap in

Reactions: tagunz
Being 21 spline - it must be pre 1991.

It i berried in a botom of a pallete box as wrong purchase... It has lately came to my mind that maybe I could do just an input shaft swap. That's why I ask...

Any indication of what I should pay attention to identify possibility to swap?

The easiest NP242 to swap into our Wranglers (from my research) is the 97-2001 XJ Cherokee AND the 94-98 ZJ Grand cherokee. These are US Models, not sure on years and crossover in Europe? This is because of the input splines count, and the mechanical drive for the speedometer. Later WJ/WK grand Cherokee NP242 do not have the mechanical speedometer. Later KJ Liberty have the wrong spline count and no mechanical speedo. From my understanding the more common NP231 also share the same input. It may be easier/cheaper to remove/swap with the current NP231 Input Shaft in your Jeep. Or source the more common 231 case from over there?

This is a good resource for swap info: https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np242/

Being 21 spline - it must be pre 1991.

It i berried in a botom of a pallete box as wrong purchase... It has lately came to my mind that maybe I could do just an input shaft swap. That's why I ask...

Any indication of what I should pay attention to identify possibility to swap?

I don't know if thats true. But IF it is pre 95 then get a pre 95 input with the right spline count and install it. One style has rounded teeth ends and the other is sharper.sorry i don't remember which is which

I have a 2000 TJ 5 sp. manual 4.0 with NV BOX and NP231 case.

I used to have and sold 1990 4.0 Auto XJ. With a NP242. I simply loved it on a wet road. Monster ;-)

Now I am building a stroker, have a spare box and want to set it ready to drop in with 242 tc. Power is nothing without control :)

But - not easy to get those 23 spline NP242 over here. Rare and collectible so not many end up scrapped. Even rolled over disasters get repaired...

Most viable option seem to be just to swap input shaft. If possible.

I don't know if thats true. But IF it is pre 95 then get a pre 95 input with the right spline count and install it. One style has rounded teeth ends and the other is sharper.sorry i don't remember which is which

So - if i open it - i will see those rounded / sharp teeth I guess.

Need to go digging the tc out of the box tomorrow :)

Reactions: tagunz and Rickyd