Odd Behavior After Transmission and Transfer Case Rebuild

So I got the call today that it is ready to be picked up. I can’t say I followed along 100% because he caught me right in the middle of something at work but I believe he said it had a cracked valve body and something wrong with the torque converter. He replaced both without charge (although I did pay for a full rebuild just prior to these recent problems).

I hope to pick it up by Friday and check out the end results.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
So I got the call today that it is ready to be picked up. I can’t say I followed along 100% because he caught me right in the middle of something at work but I believe he said it had a cracked valve body and something wrong with the torque converter. He replaced both without charge (although I did pay for a full rebuild just prior to these recent problems).

I hope to pick it up by Friday and check out the end results.

That's good news. The torque converter should have been replaced as part of the rebuild so if it's bad it was probably bad from the outset. The valve body is interesting too. They would've had the VB fully apart when they serviced it, so for them to find it cracked now would suggest it cracked after they were done with it....maybe when they re-installed it?

glad you found a guy who will stand behind his work and make it right when it aint.

That's good news. The torque converter should have been replaced as part of the rebuild so if it's bad it was probably bad from the outset. The valve body is interesting too. They would've had the VB fully apart when they serviced it, so for them to find it cracked now would suggest it cracked after they were done with it....maybe when they re-installed it?

glad you found a guy who will stand behind his work and make it right when it aint.

He did say he suspected he was originally sent a bad torque converter for the rebuild so he replaced it to be certain it was good to go. Regarding the valve body he mentioned it only gets torqued to a fairly small number of inch pounds so they must have over tightened it on reassembling. It’s refreshing to work with someone that takes stands behind their work.

I won’t pick it up until Friday but I feel pretty confident it will be good to go.

I did learn one thing… Shifter cables for a 1997 with a 32rh are no longer being manufactured. Like OEM radiators they seem to have gone the way if the dinosaurs on dealer shelves.

He did say he suspected he was originally sent a bad torque converter for the rebuild so he replaced it to be certain it was good to go. Regarding the valve body he mentioned it only gets torqued to a fairly small number of inch pounds so they must have over tightened it on reassembling. It’s refreshing to work with someone that takes stands behind their work.
The spec for the components on the valve body is something like 35 inch-lbs, valve body to case is 105 inch-lbs. It would be easy to over-torque them, but having had those parts in my hot little hand, I feel like you'd have to torque the S out of it to make it crack. I do know firsthand that if you forget to torque (or honestly, even finger tighten) the valve body to the case you'll get all sorts of weird behavior.

I did learn one thing… Shifter cables for a 1997 with a 32rh are no longer being manufactured. Like OEM radiators they seem to have gone the way if the dinosaurs on dealer shelves.

Is the cable different on the 97 vs other years? Even if it is, it just mounts through a bracket so I would expect that replacing the bracket would allow other years to work. But are you talking about the shifter cable or the TV cable? The TV cable did change at some point....my friend has a 2000 and his has the "button style" TV cable whereas my 97 has the "white clip style." Now that I think about it, it's possible that the fitment is still the same.

The spec for the components on the valve body is something like 35 inch-lbs, valve body to case is 105 inch-lbs. It would be easy to over-torque them, but having had those parts in my hot little hand, I feel like you'd have to torque the S out of it to make it crack. I do know firsthand that if you forget to torque (or honestly, even finger tighten) the valve body to the case you'll get all sorts of weird behavior.

Is the cable different on the 97 vs other years? Even if it is, it just mounts through a bracket so I would expect that replacing the bracket would allow other years to work. But are you talking about the shifter cable or the TV cable? The TV cable did change at some point....my friend has a 2000 and his has the "button style" TV cable whereas my 97 has the "white clip style." Now that I think about it, it's possible that the fitment is still the same.

The shifter cable in question is used on 1997-02 TJs with either a 30 or 32rh transmission. It is connected to the transmission shift mechanism with a small plastic or nylon clip that wears out or becomes brittle with age. Could you make others work? Likely something can be cobbled together. My point was that this is just one more part that is no longer in production for our beloved TJs.

Last edited:
The shifter cable in question is used on 1997-02 TJs with either a 30 or 32rh transmission. It is connected to the transmission shift mechanism with a small plastic or nylon clip that wears out or becomes brittle with age. Could you make others work? Likely something can be cobbled together. My point was that this is just one more part that is no longer in production for our beloved TJs.

right, but the way you said it made it sound like it was a 97-specific problem. Add it to the "small parts machining" thread!