Tennessee Off to wind rock this week

1o1proof

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
4 of us will be there May 25th - 28th. It will be our first time to ride there and we are really looking forward to it.
If anyone is in the area let me know.

I live about 30 minutes from the main entrance. What would you like to know?

I live about 30 minutes from the main entrance. What would you like to know?
Any tips would be helpful. We are planning on trying to do the following:
Panther Rock
Abandoned train
Overlook
Windmills
Possibly try 1 of the other 2 badge trails

Off site
Nemo tunnel
Brushy mountain

Also, any inside tips on good places to eat? Fat boy gotta eat!! Lol

The one BOH trail (I think it is Trail 16), is long and can get pretty slick (clay based) after a rain. Otherwise It is a fairly easy trail until the end when you have to climb a pretty tough/steep hill. Unless they put in a reroute or reworked this hill some way be ready to pull winch cable.

Caryville Flats is worth going to, you can take trails all the way there from the general store (which takes a good while) Or you can take pavement around the mountain and then just hit very easy trails to the flats (that option takes about an hour).

Reactions: John Cooper
I forgot about the flats, we will try to get that in as well.

Thanks for the info!

We were there a couple weeks ago as first timers. The campground is fantastic. We were there during the middle of the week so hardly any traffic. Highly recommended to see Nemo and the train at Brushy Mt. 20210521_103824.jpg

Reactions: 1o1proof
The windmills and overlook are a gimme, asphalt most of the way. The only trails I know of to the train are posted atv only. You can get most of the way to brushy mountain prison via trail 43, then it’s a couple of miles on Hwy 116. There’s a restaurant at the prison along with a couple other places nearby. You can get to the train going the opposite direction on Hwy 116. It’s behind the old coal wash station.

Panther rock is on trail 51, which is one of three BOH trails in the park. Someone else commented about 16, it’s the most technical. The other one is 26, which is near the trail to the prison.
Flats is worth seeing, but it’s a long ride from the General Store by trail in a Jeep. I usually go by road.

Forgot to mention Nemo, which is an abandoned train tunnel outside Wartburg for those following this thread. Very cool to ride, worth the drive out there, but there’s really nothing else there to ride unless you go into Catoosa WMA. So it’s not an all day event by any means.

Reactions: 1o1proof
Thank you all for the tips. We made it here in the afternoon, got our permits and went up to the overlook and Windmills... headed to the house for some cold beer to wash the dust down. You guys really need some rain up here!!

Calling for storms tomorrow, so we are probably aren’t going to do much riding, hitting Nemo tunnel tonight and brushy mountain in the morning. We managed to do everything but the flats, everyone had a great time and wouldn’t mind coming back some day. If I do, I hope and pray it rains a day or so before I arrive, the dust sucked balls!

I basically finished the Jeep just before this ride, and have concerns/questions for those in the know...will start a thread in the general forum.

Again thank you for the tips, and anyone heading this way I am happy to give tips if I can.

PS: The gun range and their staff are great. Shot a .50 cal and some full autos...big fun.