Ouray, CO trip

Neal

TJ Enthusiast
My wife and I just returned from a 3-day trip to southern Colorado, basing out of Ouray. We hit Black Bear Pass and Imogene Pass the first day, Yankee Boy Basin, Corkscrew Gulch and Engineer Pass the second day and used the third day to chill out in Ouray. The trails were lots of fun, although we noticed many areas of avalanche damage due to the massive amount of snow over the last winter. Many creeks were still full of debris and parts of several trails had been cleared after slides ran over them. We wanted to do Pougkeepsie Gulch, but it was closed due to avalanche debris, with no dates given for reopening the trail. I doubt that they will get it open before the next snowfall.

Stopping at the beginning of the Black Bear Pass trail to air down. Adventure awaits...
IMG_4608.JPG

Plenty of snow left over from the winter. Several snow bridges across creeks on the side trails looked very inviting until you took a look underneath. It wouldn't be hard to break through halfway across, and then you'd have to winch or dig your way out.
IMG_4616.JPG

Poser shot on the downhill side of the pass.
IMG_4635.JPG

The top of the switchbacks on Black Bear Pass. Don't worry, my wife was taking the photos - she just leaned over and shot from in front of me for a driver's POV look. This shot clearly shows what the driver is looking at while descending the switchbacks, although it doesn't show the road to either side. It's not really as bad as it looks.
20190904_115441.jpg

Headed up to Imogene Pass on the Tomboy Road. Weather was beginning to get interesting.
20190904_140433.jpg

Made it before the storms rolled in. Now we just have to get down off this exposed ground...
IMG_4704.JPG

Deceptively easy-looking water crossing. If you didn't look carefully you'd drive right into a hole that would easily swallow a 33" tire, and I watched several folks do just that. It pays to let the other guys go first.
20190904_162654.jpg

Got out just in time. The lightning began a few minutes later.
20190904_174550.jpg

Day 2. Started with Yankee Boy Basin, basically a trail that goes straight up until it stops way up there above the treeline. Spent a lot of time in 4 Low just grinding our way uphill.
20190905_110419.jpg

Lots of snow, so lots of snowmelt. There were waterfalls everywhere, still running strong this late in the season.
IMG_4756.JPG

Moving on to Corkscrew Gulch, the avalanche damage became even worse. Part of the trail was cut right through a slide area. Downed trees and choked creeks were common sights.
20190905_130759.jpg

One more poser shot. The beauty of this area is just breathtaking - adding a Jeep to the shot just makes it better.
20190905_132501.jpg

My wife took this shot. She felt that it pretty much told the whole story of our trip. As usual, she was right.
20190905_142602.jpg

Last edited:
I stayed a night there on a bike trip with wife and daughter. There was a restaurant in town that had a helluva good steak and I am sorry to report, many beers were injured during my night's stay.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. You are helping my cause to drive the Jeep to Colorado.

Reactions: Neal
Great pictures Neal. My wife and I spent a week in the area last month. We have pictures in many of the same spots as you, including a picture of the two of us standing with the Imogene Pass sign

My wife and I just returned from a 3-day trip to southern Colorado, basing out of Ouray. We hit Black Bear Pass and Imogene Pass the first day, Yankee Boy Basin, Corkscrew Gulch and Engineer Pass the second day and used the third day to chill out in Ouray. The trails were lots of fun, although we noticed many areas of avalanche damage due to the massive amount of snow over the last winter. Many creeks were still full of debris and parts of several trails had been cleared after slides ran over them. We wanted to do Pougkeepsie Gulch, but it was closed due to avalanche debris, with no dates given for reopening the trail. I doubt that they will get it open before the next snowfall.

Stopping at the beginning of the Black Bear Pass trail to air down. Adventure awaits...
View attachment 114406

Plenty of snow left over from the winter. Several snow bridges across creeks on the side trails looked very inviting until you took a look underneath. It wouldn't be hard to break through halfway across, and then you'd have to winch or dig your way out.
View attachment 114407

Poser shot on the downhill side of the pass.
View attachment 114409

The top of the switchbacks on Black Bear Pass. Don't worry, my wife was taking the photos - she just leaned over and shot from in front of me for a driver's POV look. This shot clearly shows what the driver is looking at while descending the switchbacks, although it doesn't show the road to either side. It's not really as bad as it looks.
View attachment 114403

Headed up to Imogene Pass on the Tomboy Road. Weather was beginning to get interesting.
View attachment 114411

Made it before the storms rolled in. Now we just have to get down off this exposed ground...
View attachment 114413

Deceptively easy-looking water crossing. If you didn't look carefully you'd drive right into a hole that would easily swallow a 33" tire, and I watched several folks do just that. It pays to let the other guys go first.
View attachment 114414

Got out just in time. The lightning began a few minutes later.
View attachment 114415

Day 2. Started with Yankee Boy Basin, basically a trail that goes straight up until it stops way up there above the treeline. Spent a lot of time in 4 Low just grinding our way uphill.
View attachment 114416

Lots of snow, so lots of snowmelt. There were waterfalls everywhere, still running strong this late in the season.
View attachment 114417

Moving on to Corkscrew Gulch, the avalanche damage became even worse. Part of the trail was cut right through a slide area. Downed trees and choked creeks were common sights.
View attachment 114419

One more poser shot. The beauty of this area is just breathtaking - adding a Jeep to the shot just makes it better.
View attachment 114420

My wife took this shot. She felt that it pretty much told the whole story of our trip. As usual, she was right.
View attachment 114421
Aaaawesome looking Jeep
- Not to mention the spectacular views
- this is a “must do” for every JEEPERS bucket list

—•||||•—👋🏿

We've been going to Ouray since the 1980s and still love it as much as we ever did. There's a quality to the light and the air there that is unique. We've also done a lot of hiking and backpacking all around there. We've summited Mount Sneffels twice. But wheeling there is still my favorite activity.

Nice job in driving through some of that and you wife for the great photos too.....what a great way to spend a few days.