Oxygen Sensor Heater Issue (Can't Pass Smog)

My ‘04 is having the same issue, so as far as I know there is no TSB solution or “pass” from california DMV/smog.

I’m now several thousand miles into this and OBD scanner still flashes as “not ready”…which confusing to me. If the 02 sensors were in fact faulty, wouldnt I actuall get a code after this many miles?

Not sure what path to take: replace all 02 sensors, or replace PCM or….?

My ‘04 is having the same issue, so as far as I know there is no TSB solution or “pass” from california DMV/smog.

I’m now several thousand miles into this and OBD scanner still flashes as “not ready”…which confusing to me. If the 02 sensors were in fact faulty, wouldnt I actuall get a code after this many miles?

Not sure what path to take: replace all 02 sensors, or replace PCM or….?

For me, there was a short on some wires that had melted from the heat to my pcm and fried it started throwing out fake codes.I had the mechanics fix the wires and replaced the pcm myself. I Replaced the pcm with one from Wranglerfix.Com and my tj drove better and sounded better instantly. Only thing is that the pcm cost me $1000 🥲

• Wow
Reactions: imactj2004
The California Bureau of Automotive Repair is aware of this issue (manufacturer design defect) and allows the vehicle to pass with the O2 heater rediness monitor not set. Show your SMOG guy the link. My SMOG guy said that the issue was noted in his computer.

The TSB is a relatively easy fix. It's basic wiring modification. The hardest part is pulling up the PDC (fuse box). No, you don't have to complete the TSB to pass SMOG. The defect doesn't hurt anything performance-wise.

THANK YOU.... The Smog guy told me to drive around some more to get it ready. I'm heading there now for the second time, I'm glad I have this info in hand. All forum contributors are very much appreciated.

Reactions: Huckster and L J
I'm having the same issue of my 05 wrangler coding HTR but it is also throwing a p0306 #6 misfire will the TBS repair help with this?

I'm having the same issue of my 05 wrangler coding HTR but it is also throwing a p0306 #6 misfire will the TBS repair help with this?

Nope. That one you'll have to actually resolve. I would start a new thread for it.