P0351, P0352, P0353 error codes: Engine Just dies without warning!

Shawn’s TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Hello. I have a puzzle for all you smart Tj owners to solve. I was driving my Tj all summer long and yesterday i was driving home and it just died and would not start! I had all cluster lights and all electrical seemed normal but it just cranked and did not start. So i got her back home and left it set the rest of the night. The next morning i went out and tried to start it and it started right up with no delay or any issues at all. The jeep started and ran like nothing ever happened. So the Jeep is running great but i have a check engine light on and i have these 3 codes... P0351, P0352, P0353 which all codes point to the coils but yet this jeep runs perfect and goes down the road perfect how could it have 3 bad coils? I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what was the problem? has of today the jeep runs and drives great but the check engine light is on and showing 3 codes. My Rubicon is a 2004 and it has the big coil pack on it and i didn't want to buy one of those expensive coil packs if i don't have to.
thanks

Crank shaft position sensor?

Have you messed with any (I mean any) sensors recently? A loose connection can trigger the ASD relay.

A while back, I had a similar intermittent shut down. I ended up unplugging/replugging most of the sensors before it disappeared. I never found the actual problem, but I believe it was loose plug on an o2 sensor I had replaced a few months prior.

I'm thinking it's the CPS as well. Make SURE you replace it with a factory OE Mopar sensor, or you'll only have more trouble.

Crank shaft position sensor?

Have you messed with any (I mean any) sensors recently? A loose connection can trigger the ASD relay.

A while back, I had a similar intermittent shut down. I ended up unplugging/replugging most of the sensors before it disappeared. I never found the actual problem, but I believe it was loose plug on an o2 sensor I had replaced a few months prior.

Nope, never messed with any sensors. But i never heard of a 02 sensor killing the engine and throwing 3 codes and none of the codes are a 02 sensor code?

Thanks guys but the CPS was replaced around 7 months ago and that can trigger P0 351,352 and 353 codes?
The P codes are worth investigating further, but they may be unrelated. Can you determine whether it not the ASD relay is being triggered when the Jeep doesn't start?

Electrical problems are the worst.

Nope, never messed with any sensors. But i never heard of a 02 sensor killing the engine and throwing 3 codes and none of the codes are a 02 sensor code?
A "disappearing" O2 sensors can kill the engine and never throw a code.

One thing about the p codes is they aren't necessarily the problem. Often times they are a symptom of the problem.

Don't know. I would start by researching any mention of those codes and see where that takes you. What does the Factory Service Manual for your year say?

The P codes are worth investigating further, but they may be unrelated. Can you determine whether it not the ASD relay is being triggered when the Jeep doesn't start?

Electrical problems are the worst.

Yeah going to swap out the ASD relay but something needs to go wrong to cause an automatic shut down, no? yeah electrical and computers suck! Nothing beats an SBC with a darn 4 barrel Carb and no computers!!!!

Don't know. I would start by researching any mention of those codes and see where that takes you. What does the Factory Service Manual for your year say?

In depth it points to faulty coils or the led wires to the coil pack is faulty. but its running EXCELLENT!

No need to swap the relay. Just identify if it is being triggered by the PCM.

I think i got it. I think i didn't securely plug in the coil pack harness when i changed the plugs last year and i guess with all the bumps it finally came loose and cause engine issues. I erased the codes and its running code and no codes yet.

I think i got it. I think i didn't securely plug in the coil pack harness when i changed the plugs last year and i guess with all the bumps it finally came loose and cause engine issues. I erased the codes and its running code and no codes yet.
Sounds plausible!

what about a rough idle, runs great when reved but will missfire so bad it stalls at idle. thowing codes p0353 p0352 p0351. replaced ckp cmp plugs coil timing chain fuel injectors but still no solution. ive read that the iac could throw this code any help?