"Pacing myself" build

Preparations for diff diagnosis. I need to be able to drive it home after inspection, so gonna give this a try.
View attachment 253487
You'll question why you ever used RTV in the past. The Lube Locker is so nice.

Just think this will be the last time you clean RTV off the mating surfaces. (on that axle)

The plan will be to pull the cover, clean it up and inspect the ring/pinion, check backlash, and do a pattern check. Probably will end up pulling the carrier to check the side bearings, then the pinion to check the pinion bearings, all to be done after work one night so my tech can help me with the diagnosis. What fun!

Reactions: Alex01
The plan will be to pull the cover, clean it up and inspect the ring/pinion, check backlash, and do a pattern check. Probably will end up pulling the carrier to check the side bearings, then the pinion to check the pinion bearings, all to be done after work one night so my tech can help me with the diagnosis. What fun!
Cross your fingers that the guy who set your gears didn't use paper-thick shims. My front carrier is such a PITA to reinstall that I ended up buying a case spreader because the shims would just start crushing as I tried to get it in. Even better the guy used paper-thin shims on both sides of the carrier.

Cross your fingers that the guy who set your gears didn't use paper-thick shims. My front carrier is such a PITA to reinstall that I ended up buying a case spreader because the shims would just start crushing as I tried to get it in. Even better the guy used paper-thin shims on both sides of the carrier.
Yes, I'm not looking forward to it. Thankfully, my tech has a case spreader if it gets dicey.

Reactions: Indy
I was taught to use a case spreader to do gears so have always used them. I can remember the few times I didn't have one to use and cursed myself way too many times.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Preparations for diff diagnosis. I need to be able to drive it home after inspection, so gonna give this a try.
View attachment 253487
Those are nice. I have them front and rear on my TJ. I also have one on the Rubi, but for some reason it drips, and everything is torqued down right, so I don't know what the deal is with that LubeLocker. ☹️

Those are nice. I have them front and rear on my TJ. I also have one on the Rubi, but for some reason it drips, and everything is torqued down right, so I don't know what the deal is with that LubeLocker. ☹️
Warped cover maybe?

Reactions: Indy
Warped cover maybe?
I know the LubeLocker itself is warped, but it dripped on another Dana 44 I once had it on too, so something wrong with that particular gasket. A bit annoying. I'm either going to have to buy another one or go to RTV. I am selling this Rubi, but a friend is buying it, so maybe I should just do another LL and call it a day.

What did you find in the Diff?

Reactions: Wildman
I've installed LL's on other peoples rigs but hadn't gotten them for mine until now. Crap I even have one for my transmission. So it'll be interesting to see how they do.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I know the LubeLocker itself is warped, but it dripped on another Dana 44 I once had it on too, so something wrong with that particular gasket. A bit annoying. I'm either going to have to buy another one or go to RTV. I am selling this Rubi, but a friend is buying it, so maybe I should just do another LL and call it a day.

What did you find in the Diff?
Haven't opened it up yet. Just determined the noise is coming from the rear end so far.

Case spreader should arrive Friday. In the mean time, I ordered a new tailgate bar for my duster so I don't have to steal the one from Frankentrailer. Also beating the shit out the jeep like a red headed step child. Maybe 1400 lbs. of road base will finish it off!
20210524_123503.jpg

Case spreader should arrive Friday. In the mean time, I ordered a new tailgate bar for my duster so I don't have to steal the one from Frankentrailer. Also beating the shit out the jeep like a red headed step child. Maybe 1400 lbs. of road base will finish it off!
View attachment 254690
Case spreader? Are you finally going to tackle the gears yourself?

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01