"Pacing myself" build

Posting that old pic brought to my attention that the Duster doesn't fit as well anymore without the padding.
20210602_155629.jpg
20210602_155636.jpg
20210602_155650.jpg

Does anyone run a duster in a 97-02 TJ? I believe the only difference is the sound bar and less thick padding?

The reason I ask is I'm considering refreshing this look with the rest of Mastertop's setup.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastertop/wind-stopper-plus-tonneau-cover-2-piece-kit-wrangler-tj
My other concern is the Windstopper Plus and its wrap around feature. Will the lack of rear view bug me, or will I get used to it. I like the idea of additional weather resistance in the corners.

I still have my Bimini top, I used to run it until we got English Bulldogs. I guess a Safari top is pointless if you have a soft top.

I liked having the Safari top to keep junk off passengers in the rear seat and with the way I'd rub trees and stuff I've torn up a few Safari tops. I wouldn't want to ruin a soft top considering how much they cost to replace.

I liked having the Safari top to keep junk off passengers in the rear seat and with the way I'd rub trees and stuff I've torn up a few Safari tops. I wouldn't want to ruin a soft top considering how much they cost to replace.
I get what you're saying, I smashed a rear plastic buckle on my safari top, but there's been times when the weather did a 180 and having the ability to keep the heat in and the snow out would have been nice.

Reactions: Wildman
I get what you're saying, I smashed a rear plastic buckle on my safari top, but there's been times when the weather did a 180 and having the ability to keep the heat in and the snow out would have been nice.

I had the windjammer on mine and carried my door windows so I could seal up the front area. Of course that doesn't work if you have rear passengers.

DSC02057.jpg

You can see some of the damage I did to the Safari top. I have 3-4 Bikini tops & Safari tops that have been shredded like this. And I ruined one set of door surrounds also. But yes I get what you are saying. I didn't take my soft top with me the second time I went to Moab and regretted it for 2 of the 5 days I was there. Snow & hail plus some really nasty rain didn't help. I have a half cab setup now so I'm gunna see how I like it.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Irun
The wrap around windjammer would essentially give me a half cab setup and would be 90% water resistant. That's good enough for me and summertime, but we know how the weather in the Sierras can be.
20190916_113538.jpg

The wrap around windjammer would essentially give me a half cab setup and would be 90% water resistant. That's good enough for me and summertime, but we know how the weather in the Sierras can be.
View attachment 256720

The only thing I've heard about any of the wrap around style windjammers was that they restricted seat travel from going back. I don't know this as a fact just that I've read comments to the fact. I'm hoping that isn't the case as I'd like to try the same thing.

The only thing I've heard about any of the wrap around style windjammers was that they restricted seat travel from going back. I don't know this as a fact just that I've read comments to the fact. I'm hoping that isn't the case as I'd like to try the same thing.
That is a concern for sure. My current windjammer has some give, but with the wraparound one it attaches to the door surrounds, so that could limit seat travel. I like my seat almost all the way back.

Reactions: Wildman
That is a concern for sure. My current windjammer has some give, but with the wraparound one it attaches to the door surrounds, so that could limit seat travel. I like my seat almost all the way back.

Well I'll be watching to see how things work out for you. I have my seat all the way back so I'm hoping it won't be a issue.

Reactions: bobthetj03
The bimini top is coming off. Only thing it is good for is trail use for full sun protection, or a freak rain storm. I won't be opposed to packing it along with the duster for a trail run, but for normal commuting, it is ridiculously loud. The material is just too thin, and no matter how tight I adjust it, the buffeting hurts my ears at anything over 35 mph. I do like the look, but it's just not feasible for normal driving for me.

Towards the end of February I ordered a new replacement rear side window for my soft top from Bestop. I received the new window a week ago. Yeah, took their sweet time to get here. Well, it's wrong. My driver side window has the zipper pull attached to the window. The one they sent me has no zipper pull.
20210623_110226.jpg

Another issue I have is the material texture is different. My old top has more of a texture, and the new one is smoother.
20210623_110148.jpg

I called Bestop, and they said it would be another 2 months before they could send me the proper replacement, but in the mean time they said they could send me a full set of 3 windows to get me by, but they would be clear windows, not tinted. I took them up on the offer. They arrived yesterday. They are correct, but still are in the same smooth texture as the first window they sent me. Not sure what to do about it at this juncture, as the windows won't match the texture of my top, and my OCD will most likely kick in with a vengeance.

Not sure what to do about it at this juncture, as the windows won't match the texture of my top, and my OCD will most likely kick in with a vengeance.
Between @Midnight LJR, @Nickgsjeep, and now you, I think we should rename the CA group to the OCD crowd lol.

Mike, you can get out of the list once your jeep has Utah plates 😝

Clearly, the answer is to run the jeep topless in the summer and hardtop in the winter.

Between @Midnight LJR, @Nickgsjeep, and now you, I think we should rename the CA group to the OCD crowd lol.

Clearly, the answer is to run the jeep topless in the summer and hardtop in the winter.
That's how I'm running it right now, but when the temps get up over 100* my old, fat ass doesn't like it, so having the soft top up with the AC blasting is a nice benny. I'm on the phone with Bestop right now trying to figure it out.

That's how I'm running it right now, but when the temps get up over 100* my old, fat ass doesn't like it, so having the soft top up with the AC blasting is a nice benny. I'm on the phone with Bestop right now trying to figure it out.
Come on.... this time last year you didn't even have AC. The jeep gods will allow one, not both.

So, apparently there is black crush, and black diamond. They sent me black crush. I need black diamond. I'm on hold waiting to see if they can change the order on my replacement window. Double ugh!

Reactions: DrDmoney
So, apparently there is black crush, and black diamond. They sent me black crush. I need black diamond. I'm on hold waiting to see if they can change the order on my replacement window. Double ugh!
Hopefully black diamond is in stock and can ship out. Better to know now then later I suppose.

Jeep gods: 1
Me: 0

They now want me to send them a bunch of pictures, ugh! Funny thing is, I recently bought a tire cover from the in black denim and it matched my soft top texture perfectly, so I know they make the material.
20210602_130236.jpg

20210623_124733.jpg

Obsessive California Disorder

Makes so much since…