"Pacing myself" build

Uh oh! You're having rear diff issues too? No bueno!
I know! We were hunting last week at the ranch and wasn't sure if we were going to make it back to camp. Sounds like I have some broken teeth floating around back there. I backed up and it was okay for a little while then stated again. Sounded horrible. Going to open it up tomorrow.

• Wow
Reactions: bobthetj03
I've replaced pinion bearings and seals without removing the carrier. I count and mark the threads, then remove and replace. You just have to be careful not to over tighten the pinion nut. As for bearings, Timken or Koyo are my choice.

If you're concerned, you can always check the pattern before and after.

I've replaced pinion bearings and seals without removing the carrier. I count and mark the threads, then remove and replace. You just have to be careful not to over tighten the pinion nut. As for bearings, Timken or Koyo are my choice.

If you're concerned, you can always check the pattern before and after.
How can you replace the pinion bearings without removing the pinion shaft? And how can you remove the pinion shaft without removing the carrier?

Reactions: rasband
How can you replace the pinion bearings without removing the pinion shaft? And how can you remove the pinion shaft without removing the carrier?
The outer bearing. If it's the inner, that's a different story.

The outer bearing. If it's the inner, that's a different story.
It's been a while since having it apart, so I couldn't remember. I suppose I could pull the yoke and seal and inspect the outer first, if nothing else just to verify it is indeed the pinion bearing. I'm leaning hard to the outer being starved as a result of pinion angle and not enough oil in there. Oh, and my rear drive shaft rear ujoint has 3 nice gouges in one of the cap spiders. I felt the roughness when spinning the bearing cap. Pulling the cap off verified it. New Spicer 1310X on order. It never ends with this turd!

Reactions: Irun
It's been a while since having it apart, so I couldn't remember. I suppose I could pull the yoke and seal and inspect the outer first, if nothing else just to verify it is indeed the pinion bearing. I'm leaning hard to the outer being starved as a result of pinion angle and not enough oil in there. Oh, and my rear drive shaft rear ujoint has 3 nice gouges in one of the cap spiders. I felt the roughness when spinning the bearing cap. Pulling the cap off verified it. New Spicer 1310X on order. It never ends with this turd!
The last one I did was a buddies 44. He stopped by because the pinion seal was leaking and the rear sounded horrible. I pulled the outer bearing and it was toast. Replaced it and the seal. It solved his problem. That was 3 years ago and all is still good.

It might not be your problem, but I've fixed several that way. Like you said, start there and then go deeper, if needed.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Spent some time on the rear diff tonight. Swapped out the bad ujoint. Pulled the outer pinion bearing.
20210802_175028.jpg

20210802_175008.jpg

Did your gear installer reuse bearings, or just a bad bearing? I don’t think my OEM looked that worn when I did my regear in the spring.
They definitely used new bearings. They were Koyos. My previous were timkens. Junk chinese crap bearings bites me in the ass! I had no control over the installer's choice, but didn't much matter since I'm not taking it back there. The race had some minor pitting, but didn't have the proper puller to remove the race from that end, so I did a two fold fauxpah and replaced the bearing with a Napa Auto garbage bearing and left the race as is so I could button it up and drive it home. It was wisper quiet for the drive home. It'll buy me some time.

They definitely used new bearings. They were Koyos. My previous were timkens. Junk chinese crap bearings bites me in the ass! I had no control over the installer's choice, but didn't much matter since I'm not taking it back there. The race had some minor pitting, but didn't have the proper puller to remove the race from that end, so I did a two fold fauxpah and replaced the bearing with a Napa Auto garbage bearing and left the race as is so I could button it up and drive it home. It was wisper quiet for the drive home. It'll buy me some time.
I understand why shops have their preference and don’t let you provide equipment - glad you found this! I sincerely hope this is a step forward in your saga.

Are you thinking you are going to check the rest of the bearings in the pumpkin, or what’s next?

If you do it yourself, it’s not as terrible of a job as I expected after working with Mike in the BFH Garage. It’s mostly tedious work (buy extra shim kits), a few special tools, and another set of hands would be good. Even on a lift I’d probably pull the axle instead.

I understand why shops have their preference and don’t let you provide equipment - glad you found this! I sincerely hope this is a step forward in your saga.

Are you thinking you are going to check the rest of the bearings in the pumpkin, or what’s next?

If you do it yourself, it’s not as terrible of a job as I expected after working with Mike in the BFH Garage. It’s mostly tedious work (buy extra shim kits), a few special tools, and another set of hands would be good. Even on a lift I’d probably pull the axle instead.
Not my first rodeo with this. Thankfully my mechanic at work is helping me, and has most of the cool tools. I purchased a case spreader in anticipation, so when the stars align and we both have time we'll be replacing both inner/outer pinion bearings with some quality shit.

I’ve always heard good things about Koyo bearings. ECGS uses them interchangeably with Spicer - Yukon Gear does as well if memory serves. That one was definitely bad though. Any chance there was an oiling issue?

Was it getting oil?

With all the pinion angle changes I have made, it is totally feasible that it could have starved a bit and got hot. The damage to that bearing certainly looks like it. No discoloration, but the hard facing certainly busted apart and trashed those rollers.