"Pacing myself" build

I believe that is correct. Torque is what matters. I recall the pinion nut being a one time use deal.

2003 Rubicon

Yep, the nut is a prevailing torque nut, so a new nut, and u-bolts to add a little more strength will be added.

Finish off with an oil pan skid, then maybe, just maybe, a gas tank skid. The factory gas tank skid on the 03+ TJ's are pretty stout. If I go with Rokmen's skid, I'd gain 1" of clearance.

Why not cut an inch out of the factory tank skid? I am planning on that and I think @jjvw did the same. You can weld, no reason to spend extra.

You'll need a bigger body lift to give the tank somewhere to go.

2003 Rubicon

What I really need is a tank skid that will give me a little more TB and Diff cover clearance. At full droop, my TB kisses the skid.

The guy who did my regear is a big proponent of hammers. :)

2003 Rubicon

Used in the right application, and with the right attitude, they can be quite helpful. If only it were that easy to figure out my harmonic.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Finally got around to getting a proper sized spare on the back. Jeep buddy gave me his old KO spare a year ago, so no more baby spare. Had to shim the 3rd brake light up an inch and back just a little to keep it from rubbing tire. The baby body lift gave me just enough room for the tire to clear the rear bumper.
phew.png

phew.png
20180330_135520.jpg
20180330_135530.jpg
20180330_135538.jpg

Reactions: derekmac
Finally got around to getting a proper sized spare on the back. Jeep buddy gave me his old KO spare a year ago, so no more baby spare. Had to shim the 3rd brake light up an inch and back just a little to keep it from rubbing tire. The baby body lift gave me just enough room for the tire to clear the rear bumper.
View attachment 37370
View attachment 37370 View attachment 37371 View attachment 37372 View attachment 37373
Man, that's CLOSE, but that'll work!

Man, that's CLOSE, but that'll work!

Yes, it is. Obviously, I don't care if I have a matching spare. I would have hated to have to swap the spare around if I had a rear tire blow out with the LSD back there and a mismatched size. I'll get a tire cover for it and forget it.

Looks like a little red gremlin sticking his head above the tire.

I got my spare mounted up, a 31. Looks horrible. Like I’m a donut salesman. I won’t even put it on. Tire guy said he’d look for a 33.

View attachment 37370
View attachment 37370 View attachment 37371 View attachment 37372 View attachment 37373
Thanks again for your 31" spare tire. It will live on as the spare on my Samurai, and I'm sure more people will lean on it and tell wheeling and hunting stories. :)

Thanks again for your 31" spare tire. It will live on as the spare on my Samurai, and I'm sure more people will lean on it and tell wheeling and hunting stories. :)

Just paying it forward. You can thank Will for giving me his 33" spare.

On your discussion of lockers, etc. FWIW, I've got a truetrac in the back and an E-locker in the front and it has been great for me so far. I like having the truetrac in the rear, it works really well on just about every terrain. Hooks up in mud, loose dirt, etc. And having the front lockable at the flick of a switch has been great too. I like being able to turn easy with it off and having the extra traction when needed with it on.

On your discussion of lockers, etc. FWIW, I've got a truetrac in the back and an E-locker in the front and it has been great for me so far. I like having the truetrac in the rear, it works really well on just about every terrain. Hooks up in mud, loose dirt, etc. And having the front lockable at the flick of a switch has been great too. I like being able to turn easy with it off and having the extra traction when needed with it on.

I've been debating back and forth about that. I could very well just keep the Traclok in the rear, add some stronger axles, then go with an E-locker up front. There is suspicion that the rear re-gear didn't take well, and may be a contributor to my vibe harmonic, so that idea could all go to hell in a hand basket if I have to revisit the rear gears.

Oh, and there is the issue with my AC not blowing cold. I've added dye in the system twice and can't find the leak. Gonna take it to an AC shop to have them sniff test it and see if they can pinpoint the leak. My suspicion is it's leaking from the evaporator in the dash, which is why I can't find it. That'll be a fun job!

Oh, and there is the issue with my AC not blowing cold. I've added dye in the system twice and can't find the leak. Gonna take it to an AC shop to have them sniff test it and see if they can pinpoint the leak. My suspicion is it's leaking from the evaporator in the dash, which is why I can't find it. That'll be a fun job!

I've got this exact same issue. Used the dye twice and I suspect the same, Evap unit. I'm thinking of tearing the dash apart and doing the dye to see if I can find it. Not looking like a fun job to take the dash apart that far, but summer is around the corner here in TX. If I can get to it in May, I'll let you know what I find.