"Pacing myself" build

Happy belated birthday! Will be curious on your thoughts on the skid. I may go the extreme route with Savvy because I love that
aluminum but to be determined and need to do a lot of research.

Did you get it installed yet? I'm interested in knowing what affect it had on your pinion angle.

Before and after photo?? :D

I will be noting several things when I install it, hopefully this weekend. I'll be taking before/after measurements of pinion angles, trany height, and skid height.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Alex01
@bobthetj03 did you consider a flat skid plate, and if so how did you rule it out ?

I am researching TT skid plates and wondering if a flat skid (with 1" BL) will have any tub clearance issues, or problems with a 6 speed shift... any idea?

@bobthetj03 did you consider a flat skid plate, and if so how did you rule it out ?

I am researching TT skid plates and wondering if a flat skid (with 1" BL) will have any tub clearance issues, or problems with a 6 speed shift... any idea?

Going totally flat requires some effort. The 6 speed should give you a little more clearance than the auto. Most likely will need exhaust mods to make it fit. I didn't want to mess with all of that, so I opted for a mild tuck so I wouldn't have to modify all that and TC linkage too. Get the cable shifter if you plan to tuck it that far up.

Reactions: KCsTJ
To add, the flattest, lowest profile belly you'll get with the least amount of work is with Savvy. It still requires a small body lift and some denting of the tub. Options get limited quickly if you aren't willing to go that far.

Interested in seeing your installation.

I was considering that skid as well buy they can't (won't) do one without the logos carved out on the sides.

Yeah, the logos bug me too. They are less noticeable now that I have it painted satin black, so just gonna look on the bright side and hope they help me get the pressure washer in there to clean out debris easier.

Reactions: dla
It seems to me that it would be pretty easy to skip the laser cut logo during the build process. When I inquired, I was told they can't make a one off version.

It seems to me that it would be pretty easy to skip the laser cut logo during the build process. When I inquired, I was told they can't make a one off version.
You'd think they could just reach a hand out and block the laser as yours passes by.

Reactions: Alex01
Today was baby tuck day. Got the old shovel off with little drama.
DSCN0650.JPG
DSCN0651.JPG

There was a little bit of surface rust on the frame at the mount location, so I cleaned that up a bit and ground the bad nutzert out to install a new one.
DSCN0654.JPG

DSCN0656.JPG

Blaine's nutzert install instructions went without a hitch.
DSCN0655.JPG

New nutzert installed.
DSCN0657.JPG

Ready for baby tuck.
DSCN0652.JPG

The trany jack made it easy.
DSCN0658.JPG

DSCN0659.JPG

DSCN0660.JPG

Everything bolted up as advertised. Here's a few before/after shots.

LeShovel.
DSCN0647.JPG

DSCN0648.JPG

Baby tuck!
DSCN0661.JPG

DSCN0662.JPG

Now on to the numbers. Pinion angles before the install:

Rear DS = 14.5*
Rear pinion = 13.5*

Front DS = 6.3*
Front pinion = 7.4*

After install:

Rear DS = 13.0*
Rear pinion = 18.0*

Front DS = 7.5*
Front pinion = 7.6*

(+ -) margin for error on the pinion angles since they should not have changed. The front DS didn't change much, but the rear DS, Oh my! Took it for a test drive and it drove smooth. My annoying vibe is still there but no rear DS vibe at hard acceleration. Still 5* low is a lot, so I brought the pinion back up some and now it sits at, DS = 16.5*, pinion = 15.0*. That should be ok for now.

Over all I gained 1-1/8" more clearance. Everything shifts good, and as a matter of fact, the TC linkage is smoother than before, so bonus there!

A step in the right direction brah! Looks good.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I ain't no spring chicken brahs, so the lift helps me sleep at night, instead of popping pain pills. Still had to break out the cardboard to adjust my rear pinion angle.

Reactions: ac_
That was a nice gift to receive. I’d be bonkers about that one. That’s a big step forward.

Question: with the 1 1/8” lift and the change in driveline angle, was the change not sufficient to require a new driveshaft?

That was a nice gift to receive. I’d be bonkers about that one. That’s a big step forward.

Question: with the 1 1/8” lift and the change in driveline angle, was the change not sufficient to require a new driveshaft?

Didn't really think about it, but looks good so far.