"Pacing myself" build

Got a little dusty today and went to check out the carnage from last year's devastating fires we had. Cow Mt. is BLM land designated as an OHV area. Most of it burned during last year's Ranch Fire. It was a sad day going up there to see what was left. After an hour of exploring I couldn't take it anymore and went home. I hate to see what Mendocino National will look like if they ever allow us back up there. Fire sucks balls!
DSCN1038.JPG
DSCN1041.JPG

This is what's left of Buckhorn Camp. From this vantage point you typically wouldn't see the campground.
DSCN1046.JPG

The rest of the pics are on the NorCal Adventures thread if you can stomach it.

Got a little dusty today and went to check out the carnage from last year's devastating fires we had. Cow Mt. is BLM land designated as an OHV area. Most of it burned during last year's Ranch Fire. It was a sad day going up there to see what was left. After an hour of exploring I couldn't take it anymore and went home. I hate to see what Mendocino National will look like if they ever allow us back up there. Fire sucks balls!

This is what's left of Buckhorn Camp. From this vantage point you typically wouldn't see the campground.

The rest of the pics are on the NorCal Adventures thread if you can stomach it.

Fire really does suck. We had a fire on Mt Hood a few years ago (Dollar lake fire) and it devastated some of the most beautiful hiking trails in that area. I went the following year and I got really very sad looking at the carnage. However ... nature has a way of bouncing back if left alone and there is lots of new growth in that area that is amazing to see amongst all the old trees. There is still lots of evidence of the fire (with charred trees and whatnot) but that area is becoming beautiful again. I'll see if I can my pics of that area over the years, the change is wonderful to see.

ps: got very busy with my upcoming move next week. I did get a digital angle finder but haven't had any time amidst packing stuff (why do I have so much junk in my garage :mad:). Will try and get those angle measurements you wanted this week.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Fires suck, and I'm moving to the PNW, close enough to Canada to get some of their smoke too. I hated seeing the Little Bear fire near Ruidoso, NM as well as the one in Bastrop, TX, years later, still charred dead trees standing. Better forest management could solve some of this. Politics gets in the way of reality far too often (oops, wrong thread).

Did you get your AC fixed?

Jury's out on that. I took it back to the AC shop on the 20th. He thinks he found a leak on the low side of the evaporator right before the connection point of the AC hose. There is a clamp there. He removed the clamp, peeled back the insulating tape that cushions the clamp and found dye there. The clamp had worn a groove in the evap pipe, so I cleaned the crap out of it, JB welded the hell out of the area, and wrapped it in vulcanizing tape. I'm still not 100% sure this was the only leak, so we'll see in a couple weeks. It usually lasts 3 weeks before she's empty again.

Reactions: JMT and Alex01
Jury's out on that. I took it back to the AC shop on the 20th. He thinks he found a leak on the low side of the evaporator right before the connection point of the AC hose. There is a clamp there. He removed the clamp, peeled back the insulating tape that cushions the clamp and found dye there. The clamp had worn a groove in the evap pipe, so I cleaned the crap out of it, JB welded the hell out of the area, and wrapped it in vulcanizing tape. I'm still not 100% sure this was the only leak, so we'll see in a couple weeks. It usually lasts 3 weeks before she's empty again.
🤞 Hopefully that's the issue. Sure would be nice to avoid ripping the dash out.

Ditto here on avoiding evaporator replacement.
With an abrasion and not something structural the epoxy should work fine.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I didn't want to keep hijacking that other thread, so I thought I would hijack yours haha!

Here is some of the stuff I am dealing with currently, although I did manage to change my trans mount and put a transfer case cable in this week, but now have to figure out what to do with the interior.

This is currently my house now.

I didn't want to keep hijacking that other thread, so I thought I would hijack yours haha!

Here is some of the stuff I am dealing with currently, although I did manage to change my trans mount and put a transfer case cable in this week, but now have to figure out what to do with the interior.

View attachment 101626
View attachment 101627

This is currently my house now.
Looks like they are moving right along...

Reactions: ac_
Yeah just a little disheartening seeing your house with x-ray vision. My work is moving buildings, and I am in a temporary spot there too, so I am constantly losing work stuff and home stuff. It is the most unorganized I have ever been. It is a bit overwhelming.

Hang in there brah! You'll get thru this and be in a better spot as a result. What's the deal with your interior and the center console shenanigans?

Hang in there brah! You'll get thru this and be in a better spot as a result. What's the deal with your interior and the center console shenanigans?

So when I replaced my linkage with a cable it actually extended the throw of the shift rod. I have an aftermarket transfer case shift rod. It worked till I put the cable in but now the throw is too long for the console.

My plan is to graft in a piece of carpet and put shift boots on the stick and the transfer case sticks, and put a half console in that covers the ebrake. I haven't realy any ideas yet, but I am looking into boots from an early chevy manual truck. For now I just took the console out and going to drive around with out it.

If I have most of my vibrations taken care of then my next project will be rebuilding the interior. I need to find a new place to put my usb socket charger somewhere else and my dual battery switch as those were wired into the console. I think I may put one of those dash cups that go up top, I think they are daystars and see if I can intgrate my battery switch on there or maybe the collar around the stereo, I don't know still in the planning stages.

There is some kind of cpu under the dash that shows now, so I may tin the bottom of the dash and put them there, I may have some options, but I will definitely update with pics soon. Maybe a before shot even sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
Went to the shop today to get some things done. Wanted to un-seize my right upper CA and make a pinion angle adjustment, adjust my park brake, and install my new lug nuts. Well, after 3 hrs. I only managed to service the CA's and make a small pinion angle adjustment. The upper Duroflex joints will need replaced. After 6 years and 65K miles, they are showing wear.

Went to the shop today to get some things done. Wanted to un-seize my right upper CA and make a pinion angle adjustment, adjust my park brake, and install my new lug nuts. Well, after 3 hrs. I only managed to service the CA's and make a small pinion angle adjustment. The upper Duroflex joints will need replaced. After 6 years and 65K miles, they are showing wear.
Nice getting something done.