"Pacing myself" build

You'll get the vibra-jeep sorted out Brah! Don't get depressed cause that leads to bad thoughts about your TJ and they don't appreciate that. Everything kinda points to the rear end right ?

As the vibration saga continues, I've been developing an increase in vibes lately. Enough that it is now irritating me, so I decided to experiment with a few adjustments. As I had expressed earlier, adding a 1" MML helped a lot with the vibes, so I decided to try lowering the t-case skid some more to yet further reduce DS operating angles. I first spaced it down 5/16" with washers. No change. I then readjusted the rear pinion angle, no change. I then took my OME 3/4" pucks and lowered it. No change. Gave up on that notion and put it back to square one. Today I decided to pull the rear DS and see if I could isolate the vibes. I could feel it in my seat above 62mph, so I figured the rear was a good place to start. Took it for a spin in FWD and no vibes. This verified what I had previously tried, it's either an issue with the DS or the rear diff. I put the DS on the bench and gave it a good inspection, and everything looks kosher. This is Adams DS #2. I'm going to check the torque on both yokes while I have the DS out. Other than that, I'm stumped. Do I try and get a 3rd DS? Do I take it to a rear end shop and have it pulled apart? I'm starting to get depressed about this whole jeep thing.
Just a thought.... Would Craig notice if his driveshaft went missing for testing purposes?

At this point, I'd let you borrow my rear axle just to see if it fixed the issues.

You could consider calling Tom Woods and talking through where you’re at. I got the sense they were pretty open to discuss drive lines and could maybe give some things to try without having to commit to buying anything more.

I’m sorry to hear about the frustrations, you’ll crush it at some point and be “Vibrafree”

You'll get the vibra-jeep sorted out Brah! Don't get depressed cause that leads to bad thoughts about your TJ and they don't appreciate that. Everything kinda points to the rear end right ?

Things are starting to point to that direction.

Just a thought.... Would Craig notice if his driveshaft went missing for testing purposes?

At this point, I'd let you borrow my rear axle just to see if it fixed the issues.

Lol! I've been thru 2 different Adams shafts, and before that was the factory DS. Problem is I've changed so many things over these 3 years of dealing with this shit that I kind of lost track. My guess is it is more than just one thing, and since changing stuff, I've made progress, but can't pinpoint exactly what changes netted a good result. The drive shafts certainly liked having a lower operating angle after the MML, so that may only be one component. I have to keep reminding myself that with the 1" raise t-case skid and a 3" lift, my drive shafts think I have a 4" lift, and with the re-gear, they are spinning faster. I still think something in the rear end setup is transfering the vibes thru the drive shaft like a tuning fork, and into my seat. I've got 40K on the re-gear, so you'd think if something was that fucked up in the diff it would have launched by now. I was not kind to it at Slick Rock or the Con.

You could consider calling Tom Woods and talking through where you’re at. I got the sense they were pretty open to discuss drive lines and could maybe give some things to try without having to commit to buying anything more.

I’m sorry to hear about the frustrations, you’ll crush it at some point and be “Vibrafree”

Already been there. I actually sent my front drive shaft to them to check it out. They re-balanced it and gave it a good bill of health. They even sent me 2 new yokes for the TC just to try at no charge. Good outfit. My conundrum now is do I spend another $300 and try one of their rear DS's, or do I take it to a rear end shop and see what they can find? Either way sounds expensive.

Have you considered the option of adding a driveshaft balancing ring?

Yes, I have considered it and bookmarked that site. Was hoping to hear some feedback on that.

Have you pulled the inner shafts to check the bearings and the splines? You could always toss on the spare set from mine...

I saw this complete dana 44 on Facebook marketplace for 350. If you want an attempt #2 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/713449265830085/

I have not pulled the shafts since the re-gear. Might try your spares just to see if anything changes. It'll also give me a chance to make sure the axle tube flanges aren't bent or something stupid like that.

I assume you’ve tried a few degrees higher and lower pinion? Could be your rear diff

I can write a small novel about the number of pinion angle changes I've made. I've gone from +3* high to -3* low in 0.5* increments with a test drive between each 0.5* change. Thank the lord for double adjustable arms.

This latest experiment with lower the t-case skid, I started at:

DS angle: 16*
Pinion angle: 15.2*

After dropping the t-case skid 5/16" I was at:

DS angle: 14.5*
Pinion angle: 15.5*

So I re-adjusted the pinion to:

DS angle: 15.4*
Pinion angel: 15.1*

Then, I lower it more with 3/4" pucks to get:

DS angle: 13.3*
Pinion angle: 14.8*

None of these changes made it better or worse. So, I gave up and put it back to the frame.

Final angles:

DS angle: 16.4*
Pinion angle: 14.4*

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Don’t take this the wrong way, have others ridden in your Jeep and felt the vibes? Maybe your ass is just real sensitive. 🤣

My wife notices it, as we commute to work together often. I've also had a co-worker ride along and thought it was odd. I even took our gear guru @Rob5589 for a ride when he still had his TJ and was up here for a jeep run. That was before the MML though. Granted, I have become hyper sensitive to this frickin jeep, so I'm sure it is not as bad as some might think, but it still ain't right. Before the re-gear the jeep drove smooth as butter up to 80mph, and I rarely ever go that fast.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Fun fact: Did you know that your driveshaft to pinion angle relationship can change as much as 1* depending on a full tank of fuel or an empty tank? I have issues!
Have you tried removing your rear seat??? Fixed toms vibs 😂

I drove mine for the first time in 10 weeks since my foot surgery and I noticed a vibe during acceleration (once the tires warmed up) I checked the DS angle when I just got back and it was only .5* low, guess I’ll be crawling around under it tomorrow.

I drove mine for the first time in 10 weeks since my foot surgery and I noticed a vibe during acceleration (once the tires warmed up) I checked the DS angle when I just got back and it was only .5* low, guess I’ll be crawling around under it tomorrow.
Check all your bolt torques (control arms and track bar) - I had a similar issue that was caused by one slightly loose bolt.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Check all your bolt torques (control arms and track bar) - I had a similar issue that was caused by one slightly loose bolt.
Likely it’s the same issue I had with the front axle
0A9D5120-C682-45DE-B31E-E14C1A6CACB5.jpeg
6F1039F1-A677-4C8D-8397-4CB534889848.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Alex01
Flat spots on the tires?? It was sitting 10 weeks..

Reactions: DrDmoney