Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, he had told me he was going, and I had planned on driving down, but work got in the way.

Hopefully you can make it next time. Once I get the PSC installed @starkey480 and I are going to try our hand at Highway to Hell. Not sure if that’s something you’d want to do, but it should be fun.

Everything I designed with Savvy was done to solve a problem. Before the advent of large numbers of installed non stock tail lights, we would kill the stockers on some rig on every trail run. Solution was to build a low profile housing out of aluminum and put a flat panel LED in it when they finally came out with a quality version of the Jeep tail light.

Several trails have spots that will mow the top of the tub belt rail down and you'll need to pry it back up with a flat blade screwdriver to get the top on for the drive home. The answer was to build the tub rails to protect the belt rail.

Weight is always a bad thing, it never helps, so, you want as much protection as you can get for the least amount of weight possible. That is why most of the stuff is aluminum.

With as many TJs as I have seen around here with extremely dented tubs and the tub belt rails, I can see why you’d want them.

Heck, I watched a guy completely crush his rocker panel yesterday because he didn’t have any sliders or rocker panel protection whatsoever.

Reactions: kmas0n
lol better que up another savvy rear bumper, because you know that's about to happen. :ROFLMAO:
Naaa, I’ll be fine.

And honestly, it wasn’t so much the bumper, I just didn’t need or want the receiver hitch.

Some more photos from wheeling at Elvis Trail this weekend. The more I drive this thing, the more impressed I am with this rig and the happier I am that I sold my silver TJ in favor of keeping this. I think I'm addicted to rock crawling :LOL:

IMG_8875.JPG

IMG_8870.JPG

IMG_8869.JPG

IMG_8864.JPG

I still want to get @mrblaine out on a wheeling trip with us sometime 😎

I'll bring the marshmallows and Blaine can throw rocks at the retards.

If we could get Jerry (who is a living legend) to tag along maybe we could find a way to re-create that infamous long arm photo from circa 1970 ;)

(This photo has been around for longer than TJs have been around and I think it needs updating.)

In all fairness, I probably would have just went around that rock :LOL:

CIMG2633 cropped.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
It's a blast out here in the west, I'll tell you that much.
One of my buddies was stationed in Colorado Springs and he'd take his LJ to some spots out there. Absolutely beautiful. I am thankful to have places to wheel close by for sure, but it looks like a whole different world out west compared to the tighter trails out here like in Uwharrie.

One of my buddies was stationed in Colorado Springs and he'd take his LJ to some spots out there. Absolutely beautiful. I am thankful to have places to wheel close by for sure, but it looks like a whole different world out west compared to the tighter trails out here like in Uwharrie.
It’s dry and rocky, that’s for sure. We are particularly lucky as our house is only about 5 miles from some of the best off-roading in the state.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Heck, I watched a guy completely crush his rocker panel yesterday because he didn’t have any sliders or rocker panel protection whatsoever.
It wasn't "completely crushed" - just "rock kissed" :)

IMG_0759.jpg

Luckily this is nothing a pair of sheet metal pliers and a body hammer can't fix (it's actually not as bad as it looks). That said, I finally ordered the Savvy sliders - I was on the fence about sliders vs doing a boatside, but the sliders will work better for my needs (I hope). Better to do it now vs after I paint this rig :)

I know a handful of guys from the now defunct Peterson's 4-Wheel & Offroad - could be fun :)

View attachment 208615

I even ran into Trent McGee in the Ultimate Adventure 2019 Scout (this was also Sunflower ironically enough).
I’d love to get into more group wheeling. Up to this point it’s solely been my dad and I teaching ourselves how to wheel the last few years. I’d like to do some hardcore runs to Ajax mine and highway to hell and table Mesa. I’m sure @Dale W would be in too

Reactions: pc1p
I’d love to get into more group wheeling. Up to this point it’s solely been my dad and I teaching ourselves how to wheel the last few years. I’d like to do some hardcore runs to Ajax mine and highway to hell and table Mesa. I’m sure @Dale W would be in too
I agree with this. I’d definitely like to bring along some of those really hardcore guys who may have dedicated trail rigs and some things to teach a novice wheeler like myself.

@Dale W knows a bunch of the challenging trails here in the valley - always a good idea to bring him along. Plus I just regeared a set of axles for him that we need to test out soon :)

The smaller groups are more fun. 5-6 rigs. Anymore and it ends up making for a long day.
5-6 sounds perfect. Especially if we are all trying our hand at fun lines.
@Dale W knows a bunch of the challenging trails here in the valley - always a good idea to bring him along. Plus I just regeared a set of axles for him that we need to test out soon :)
Me, my dad, @Chris , @pc1p , @Dale W makes 5. That’d be a solid crew. I’ve done most of the hardcore trails in the valley. Some I still need to check off are highway to hell, axle alley, predator, die hard

Reactions: pc1p and Chris
Status
Not open for further replies.