Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you using to get around this?

Thats a picture of my blown out firewall. Made a hell of a racket as the battery shook around. The really sad part is all it needed was something to tie the battery tray bracket into the fender like the factory did. A small bracket was welded to the poison spyder bracket and now the battery is rock solid.

If you can shake your battery/tray this is going to happen sooner or later.

Reactions: Chris
I didn’t take a good picture of it but here is one looking up from under the jeep. You can see a small bracket welded to the main bracket that ties into the fender bolt.

poison spyder decided it was ok to mount the entire battery to 3 bolts to the firewall. I think genright uses 4 but nothing on the fender.

418F8157-92A7-4498-B5A3-DA3FE80F081D.jpeg

@Lou, you have a 2003 with a 32RH swapped in, correct?

I am curious how much work this was to swap the 32RH into your 2003 if this is the case. I'm going to assume you had to swap the entire engine wiring harness over, get a new PCM, and anything else?

The more technical stuff I get into on the trail, the more I do wish I had an automatic. This swap (if possible) is something I am considering in the future.

@Lou, you have a 2003 with a 32RH swapped in, correct?

I am curious how much work this was to swap the 32RH into your 2003 if this is the case. I'm going to assume you had to swap the entire engine wiring harness over, get a new PCM, and anything else?

The more technical stuff I get into on the trail, the more I do wish I had an automatic. This swap (if possible) is something I am considering in the future.
I have been meaning to make a thread about all the details but havent gotten around to it. I dont really like writing long winded write ups but it would be a great resource for others. I did not replace the harness on mine because i am experienced with wiring so i just modified my own harness as neccesary. The goal is to convert a 2003/2004 to a 2002. You need a 2002 auto PCM but could probably use 2000-2002, whenever they went to the coil rail. I spent a whole day comparing 2002 to 2003 parts and wiring so i know for a fact that 2002 vs 2003 is all good.

The only non transmission related difference is the 2003 single wire oil pressure switch needs to be converted to a 3 wire oil pressure sensor, which is accomplished by splicing into 5v and ground. You need to run 2 wires for the TCC lock up. You need to cut open the harness and find a very specific wire to splice into the neutral safety switch ground. While you are at it you can run a wire through the harness for the trans temp gauge you should be installing anyway. You need to add a single pin in the PCM connector for the TCC lock up and its a little finicky to add a pin to these PCM connectors as the unpopulated locations need to be drilled out after the connector is disassembled. Its easy to mess up the connector, ask me how i know.

The only other issue is the floor plates. You need to use a 97-02 shifter handle because the throw of the cable is different compared to the 03-06. The floor plate opening is also different between 97-02 and 03-06. I cut up a late model floor plate and bolted the early model floor plate to the late model plate. You just need to take some time to make sure the shifter is lined up in the console before bolting everything down.

IMG_5340 copy.jpgIMG_5360 copy.jpgIMG_5361 copy.jpg

If you arent comfortable with wiring you could get away with using a 2002 engine harness. However, this harness goes all the way back to the fuel pump. You should not need to change the fuse box/harness as the tcc 12v is shared with the purge valve which is where i spliced in.

The 32rh is a good transmission but remember this is a hydraulic transmission. If you think computer controlled autos are "stupid", hydraulics are even dumber. Its reliable, it works great off road, but it is noticeably slower than a manual off the line. I am very happy with my swap(also did a 241) and am eager to hit some hard trails soon. So far ive only been on a shake down run to the local toyota wheeling trail.

Last edited:
I have been meaning to make a thread about all the details but havent gotten around to it. I dont really like writing long winded write ups but it would be a great resource for others. I did not replace the harness on mine because i am experienced with wiring so i just modified my own harness as neccesary. The goal is to convert a 2003/2004 to a 2002. You need a 2002 auto PCM but could probably use 2000-2002, whenever they went to the coil rail. I spent a whole day comparing 2002 to 2003 parts and wiring so i know for a fact that 2002 vs 2003 is all good.

The only non transmission related difference is the 2003 single wire oil pressure switch needs to be converted to a 3 wire oil pressure sensor, which is accomplished by splicing into 5v and ground. You need to run 2 wires for the TCC lock up. You need to cut open the harness and find a very specific wire to splice into the neutral safety switch ground. While you are at it you can run a wire through the harness for the trans temp gauge you should be installing anyway. You need to add a single pin in the PCM connector for the TCC lock up and its a little finicky to add a pin to these PCM connectors as the unpopulated locations need to be drilled out after the connector is disassembled. Its easy to mess up the connector, ask me how i know.

The only other issue is the floor plates. You need to use a 97-02 shifter handle because the throw of the cable is different compared to the 03-06. The floor plate opening is also different between 97-02 and 03-06. I cut up a late model floor plate and bolted the early model floor plate to the late model plate. You just need to take some time to make sure the shifter is lined up in the console before bolting everything down.

If you arent comfortable with wiring you could get away with using a 2002 engine harness. However, this harness goes all the way back to the fuel pump. You should not need to change the fuse box/harness as the tcc 12v is shared with the purge valve which is where i spliced in.

The 32rh is a good transmission but remember this is a hydraulic transmission. If you think computer controlled autos are "stupid", hydraulics are even dumber. Its reliable, it works great off road, but it is noticeably slower than a manual off the line. I am very happy with my swap(also did a 241) and am eager to hit some hard trails soon. So far ive only been on a shake down run to the local toyota wheeling trail.
Great info, and if you ever do get around to a write-up, that would indeed be very helpful.

I don’t think I’ve ever driven a TJ with a 32RH. It can be as bad (or stupid) as the 42RLE, can it?

I forgot to mention the trans mount. The 32rh mount is more forward than any other trans mount in a tj. Early model skids had provisions to mount the trans mount to the skid. Late model skids do not. You could probably make it work but I opted to go with a crossmember which I did not make myself. I paid a friend to fabricate and install it. I reused my UCF skid with a little modification. 241 prevented a flat skid.

i don’t think you could get this to work with a savvy skid. Even if you found a used early auto skid, it would take some modifications as the frame nutsert locations are different between early and late models.

786444C0-04AE-4A38-BDB3-4B65DBCFF6C3.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: DrDmoney and Chris
Great info, and if you ever do get around to a write-up, that would indeed be very helpful.

I don’t think I’ve ever driven a TJ with a 32RH. It can be as bad (or stupid) as the 42RLE, can it?
I havent driven a 42 in many years. I would think with OD off they would be comparable. The 42 takes the cake as village idiot with shifting into/out of over drive.

I havent driven a 42 in many years. I would think with OD off they would be comparable. The 42 takes the cake as village idiot with shifting into/out of over drive.
My last one was a 42RLE. As long as you kept the OD off, it was actually just fine to drive. When the OD is on, it’s a retarded piece of crap to drive.

Reactions: notGreenLJ
@Lou @Chris why is a year specific PCM needed? Can't one use HPTunerd software to switch the setting in existing PCM?

@Lou @Chris why is a year specific PCM needed? Can't one use HPTunerd software to switch the setting in existing PCM?

HPTuners wouldn’t be able to do this. You would need a PCM from a 97-02 and you could likely enable to disable the 32RH functionality with a DRB tool, but it’s not going to work on a 03-06 PCM as those units never even had a 32RH as an option.

Reactions: Hotrodbud
97-04 use the same PCM, its called a JTEC. Literally the only difference at the PCM is a single pin that sends a ground signal to the TCC lock up. You very well might be able to just send a 2002 calibration to your PCM.

Reactions: psrivats
HPTuners wouldn’t be able to do this. You would need a PCM from a 97-02 and you could likely enable to disable the 32RH functionality with a DRB tool, but it’s not going to work on a 03-06 PCM as those units never even had a 32RH as an option.

Only the 05-06 are different from what I gathered.

97-04 use the same PCM, its called a JTEC. Literally the only difference at the PCM is a single pin that sends a ground signal to the TCC lock up. You very well might be able to just send a 2002 calibration to your PCM.
@Wranglerfix could ask his tech for sure, I’m sure he would know.

Mark, can you ask your tech if on a 2003 PCM for a manual transmission vehicle if it’s possible to load the calibration from a 2002 PCM with a 32RH?

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Status
Not open for further replies.