Project 2001 TJ Sport—Trail Ready

New brakes are SO much better than the stockers. Granted I was due for some fresh brakes but now when I decide I want to stop, I stop. Before it was more of a forced suggestion. Anyone who has swapped to the BB stuff knows what I mean. If you are on 35s or larger I would definitely recommend the upgrade.
I’m on 33s, but not too far away from needing pads. The TJ is currently my DD so the BM brakes are looking more appealing than ever

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
I’m on 33s, but not too far away from needing pads. The TJ is currently my DD so the BM brakes are looking more appealing than ever
Even on 33s I felt the stock brakes were barely adequate and when I went to 35s it just amplified it all. I wouldn’t hesitate to go big brakes if you can afford it. Steering and stopping I won’t think twice about spending some extra on.

Reactions: TWiG01
Part 1 of lightening up has arrived. Waiting for some more aluminum goodness then some upgrades.

300E4F9F-C609-4F60-AEA6-C1AD4E4782EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, that's a beauty! Who makes it?
GenRight. Tried for Savvy but after 6 weeks of waiting and another 2 week to “possibly” ship them I went with GenRight. They have excellent customer service and were awesome to work with. Did a little Raptor Coat action and she’s ready to install now.

833F5F11-1A6A-462A-A40D-CC951676BF5A.jpeg

Well that was silly. Had to re-wire my Lightforce lights because the leads weren’t long enough, the nuts for the back of the fairlead were too thick so I have to machine those down, winch bolts that were supplied with hex nuts wouldn’t form into the Warn as they use square nuts so I made some of those. Regardless, it’s in and I shaved 40 pounds off the front of this thing by getting rid of the Smittybilt which also yielded 7/8” increase in ground clearance on the front.

this pic makes the winch guard bar look funny because it sticks out past the front, it really doesn’t look that weird in person.
3169DA24-47D7-416A-99FC-E023A1A4A1B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, was seriously considering building my own cross member and high clearance skid but nobody locally had any 6061 and to buy a full sheet was cost prohibitive.

That said I ultimately decided to go with the 3/8” UCF ultra high clearance aluminum skid and motor-trans skid. Pulled the ridiculously heavy Teraflex skids off and between those, the front bumper and swapping to the Morryde from a swing out as approximately 140 pounds lighter with extra ground clearance and travel.

Now the not fun part. Had to extend the rear DS (it was too short before so now definitely too short) and we have vibrations to deal with. Not sure if the vibes are from the new DS or the additionally raised skid. The front DS has now been removed and I still have vibes and have tested within 1* of angle from the pinion to DS up to 3*. I’ve now pulled the UCF skid and have the Teraflex back on with original geometry that was vibe free and will be testing to see if it could possibly be a bad balance in the DS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01
Looked like a clown doing it but the rear is vibe free. Teraflex and original geometry still shook so that wasn't it. Busted out the Jack, a rug and some tools on the side of the road and swapped the skid back around to the UCF and flipped the DS 180 at the TC and am vibe free. Makes zero sense and even worse I should have done that before swapping skids around but we learned and that's what's key. So damn weird that again that the 180 solves the issue.

Finally got around to fixing the gouges in the frame from the stock sway bar the PO left for me. The welder was right there so why not weld on the Currie mini skids, that check off my list and because license plates are required here I got the Tuffy Hawse flip up on and modified so the hook doesn’t push it out. Added a piece of aluminum behind it for support, looks ok but hate the front plate. Then built a new dirt bike.

1CD48E77-6572-496E-B624-D722FE47390C.jpeg

DEB789B0-56A2-496B-B3CA-5A486B2B803E.jpeg

D9C45E60-0A88-4394-9AA4-5CE5686A8D8F.jpeg

125503B5-4635-44B7-89FD-68DFDF1326BA.jpeg

30253700-80F6-4D98-A3E6-EA839487CA13.jpeg

Buzzed off the stocker body mounts and zapped on the GenRights. Next is to tuck the rear bumper then do some stripping and painting of the frame. Ordered new shorter bolts today so ignore the long hanger downers.

C4247B36-586D-4275-BC17-AB0750FEFE00.jpeg

186A0D0F-D7BC-4003-BCB4-107088ED0BEE.jpeg

Slight change of plan. After installing the new GenRight Enduro tank I felt the gain from tucking the rear bumper would be minimal as far down as this tank sits. I'd rather have the extra fuel capacity than ground clearance so no tuck of the rear bumper...for now. I also scrubbed and painted all the under frame area while the tank was out.

TJ Tank.jpg

Replaced the shift shaft seal on the 32RH. What a PITA. Built this cheesy tool to hold the transmission up so I didn’t have to fight working around a Jack stand. I think I’ll modify it and make it a little more sano. It was super handy to be able to pull out and wash the underside off without a skid plate.

0D32E1A1-0D5B-432D-8736-DB13C9C5AA4A.jpeg

E0BBAB74-A5DE-46A6-983C-08D635238044.jpeg