Questions about stereo, speaker, and possibly a subwoofer / amp install

MattFogel

Alright, Boys.

I know alot of you have upgraded your sound systems.

I have a few questions for anyone who has made some upgrades.

So Im looking to replace all 4 speakers and put in a sub/amp in my 2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ.

1. I am a amateur trail rider. I go back country but im not trying to test my rig by putting her through water up to the hood.. but maybe the doors... I also take the top off every chance i get. should I make sure my speakers are marine grade and get a waterproof head unit?

2. anyone you know someone that will make a subwoofer box that will fit inside of my backseat?

3. if I mount a sub for the speakers and the sub where is the best place for it?

4. what size speakers do i need for the jeep? can i fit larger speakers without too much work?

5. can i put a double din stereo in? is it even worth it?

thanks advance for any tips or advice.

i've done a whole stereo in mine, kicker 4" fronts, alpine 6.5" overhead, kicker shallow 12 sub in the rear. the only piece of advice i can give is for mounting the amp. I mounted mine in the center console, siliconed all the holes wires go through and made an o-ring seal for the lid as to keep the amp dry. everything else you're looking to do i cant really advise although i like my small sub box mounted to the rear tailgate as i dont run a back seat.

1) I don't know when po put in the infinity speakers in my soundbar, or how often the top was off in rain/weather, but they are corroded and rusted. So marine grade is not a bad idea, but not critical either. However I had a car grade alpine HU in my open ski boat for 10+ years, so I think marine HU are over kill.

2) idk
3) I mounted my Amp under the driver seat. Works/fits great.
4)6.5 size in sound bar sound be eazy fit. Mine was. Dash fits 5.25 but best improvment come with separates with tweeter up on dash. IMO.
5) I am considering moving up to Sony double din. I have seen it fit fine, but you need new trim. But even single din needs some trim.

Subs are the hardest solution to make work in my opinion. Big boxes take up trunk or floor space, console sub is small/weak and eats storage. Fitting under back seat or passenger seat seems promising but I am still using 10" Sub that eats most of the trunk.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sony 55 watt deck with CD, Bluetooth and USB.
Kicker 5.25" speakers in the dash
Kicker 6.5" speakers in the sound bar.
Installing a Kicker 6.5" sub in the center console this weekend. It'll have a Kicker 200 watt amp driving it.

Reactions: MattFogel
Receiver: Sony cdx-gt565up (This will prob get upgraded next)
Sub: JBL GT-BassPro12
Front: Kicker DSC5 (43DSC504)
Sound Bar: Polk Audio DB652 DB+ 6.5-inch (DB 652)

Reactions: MattFogel
Do you have pictures?

did you put it in yourself?
I second the pictures request! Also if you have some tips for installation (mount + wiring) it'd be appreciated. Considering this sub right now - can't deal with the two huge speakers that currently live on my backseat and take all space!

I have one mounted on my tailgate too. I'll post a few pics tonight when I get home from work. I do have pics posted here on some thread, I just can't remember which one it was.
That'd be awesome! Trying to figure out the easiest way to run the wiring while mounted on the tailgate. Appreciate it!

This is in my kid's TJ. He installed it during a snowstorm...outside. Still needs to clean his wires up, but he loves it.

IMG_0666.jpg

I got the little one to put under the driver's seat.

Reactions: Cole
He has to hold the wires for now. He also needs to move the power away from the speaker wires. They need to be on opposite sides of the vehicle to reduce interference.
Ha! I just noticed, measure once, drill twice!
I have the SS8P as well, will be going under the driver seat.

• Haha
Nice!! I have the PS-8 so it's a little smaller, but good to see it installed. no issues with the wires pinching when closing the door at all?
When I first installed mine, I had to watch the wires when closing the tailgate. I've since wrapped the wires in Tesa tape, and they just go in as I'm closing the tailgate, I don't have to pull them out of the way any more.

I didn't separate the power wires from the rca's, and it didn't cause any issues.

Here's a few. I painted it red to match the Jeep better. I'll try to get a picture of the wiring later. I don't have any. You can see when the top is down, you can't even see the sub.

0421191311.jpg

0421191311a.jpg

0421191311b.jpg

0421191313.jpg